Pully Problem

Roots25

Roots25
Established Member
Running a 2.85 RR upper and BF's 4 pc idlers, am i going to have some problems with that combo, belt slip, or over spinning my blower??? Leaving the lower alone for now...?
Kind of worried, wondering if i should have gone with a 2.95 instead, any input would be great, thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With the 2.85 Reichard Racing UltraGrip and the BF 4-piece idler set you should be fine. My personal favorite was the RR 2.90. I tried the 2.80 but didn't see much more gain in power/torque at the sacrifice of overspinning the blower. But really, the 2.85 should be fine. If it were me, I would go with the 2.90. I just found it to be a good balance setup. Nice power and minimal overspinning of the blower. Of course you can also in the future do an upper/lower combo.

dougwg

Established Member
CobraBob said:
With the 2.85 Reichard Racing UltraGrip and the BF 4-piece idler set you should be fine. My personal favorite was the RR 2.90. I tried the 2.80 but didn't see much more gain in power/torque at the sacrifice of overspinning the blower. But really, the 2.85 should be fine. If it were me, I would go with the 2.90. I just found it to be a good balance setup. Nice power and minimal overspinning of the blower. Of course you can also in the future do an upper/lower combo.

Bob,

You say that the stock lower and a 2.90 is "Nice power and minimal overspinning of the blower."

And then you talk about an upper/lower combo

Got a question for you Bob...

Which of these combo's spins the blower faster?
  • 2.76/stock lower
  • 2.93/4lb lower

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The 2.93/4 lb. lower would be spinning the blower faster at 41% over stock. The 2.76 drives 32% over stock. And the 2.90 drives 25% over stock. Which is why I liked the 2.90. ;-)

PA SNAKE

Established Member
Question... the guy I purchased the car from said that he did the following pully change. Me not knowing my ass from a hole in the ground, dont know the difference... whats your thoughts...??

He sent me the following specs of what he did:

Pully Combination: 6lbs
OD of the lower Pully: 9.10
OD of the upper pully: 3.65
Drive RPM % over stock: 19.7%
Est Peak boots: 13.5

The reason I ask is that I see other combinations, and I want to see what people think of this one... Thoughts..?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You have a stock pulley with a 6 lb. lower. Pretty common change, although not as easy as going with a smaller upper pulley. If you're happy with it, stick with it IMO.

PA SNAKE

Established Member
Thanks guys... yes, I forgot to mention... the guy did upgrade the altenator pulley as well, however I dont have the size.

CobraBob... thanks for the feedback. What is a "common" pulley setup that people are doing...?? (i.e. Upper, lower, Idler...etc..) The car is NOT an everyday car...its a Sunday car with a little bit of Streetheat. Anyway, I want to set it up right, thus my questions..

Also, I'll be in touch with you to pick up a gasget for my MGW shifter as well...

Thanks for the advise ....keep em coming...

Users who are viewing this thread