Pulling oil pan w/BMR K-Member

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just wondering if anyone has done this and got away with NOT dropping the k-member? Looks doable but could backfire midway through. I'm gonna grab one of those Harbor Freight engine support bars just in case. Heres a few pics of what I'm talking about.

I gotta change my oil pan gasket its starting to weep oil and it's getting bad fast. When I initially put the gasket in when I built the engine I used a gasket only with no RTV. The new one will have RTV on both sides.
37277024-9223-402D-9A8A-94926A5DFF68.jpeg
20937384-1439-4A27-8894-2C50E0DE65EB.jpeg
DF651295-6748-4D6F-A80F-7287E53C32DB.jpeg

03' White Snake

Established Member
I don’t think you can get it out without dropping the K member. The pickup tube hangs pretty low in the pan.

Undo steering rack, zip tie to sway bar. Undo motor mounts, undo strut lower bolts, undo 8 k member bolts and lower it down. It’s actually pretty simple to do if the engine is supported.

I’ve done it with wood blocks and a jack under front of the crank pulley. The trans holds the back, so it’s not crazy amount of weight to hold up.

B3D8A9C4-C183-4F1B-964F-3BB40B29D987.jpeg

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ok right on thank you, i forgot about the pickup tube. I have a front sway bar actually, when you say motor mounts to you mean each 22mm bolt on each side or the whole motor mount?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well i think those bolts are going into the heads but i get what you mean. Right on thank you for the help. I'm gonna grab one of those engine support bars and get after it. Will report back later this week with how it all went.

shurur

Established Member
I always wondered whether you could replace each kmember bolt with a longer bolt, so that the kmember would hang down enough to make room to get the pan out.

I couldn't find any bolts long enough that were available locally...so I dropped the damn thing.

Still wonder if I could order some from fastenal.

You would still have to wood wedge it to fight the springs...

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yes, I pop the tie rods off the spindles. K member and a arms go, steering rack and sway bar stay, I zip tie rack onto the sway bar.
I can just keep the A-Arms attached to the spindle right? I was going to get the 2 bolts and detach the coilover from the spindle. So when i drop the k-member the A-Arms and spindle would still be connected to it. Does that sound right?

03' White Snake

Established Member
I can just keep the A-Arms attached to the spindle right? I was going to get the 2 bolts and detach the coilover from the spindle. So when i drop the k-member the A-Arms and spindle would still be connected to it. Does that sound right?
Yes . You will need to remove brake calipers too and leave with the car.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah perfect, just wanted to make sure. Ive already got the engine supported, used 2 of those grade 12.9 hex bolts 70mm long (they go through the timing cover and fasten into the heads), got the calipers off, steering rack off the spindles, and for ease i just drilled out the rivets and removed the dust shields permanently. Thanks again for the help

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well i got the pan off. Looks like i had no oil pan gasket at all and only this. Should i take the oil pickup tube off to get this out and RTV this AND also use an oil pan gasket with RTV?
A1B7960A-DD22-4759-9CE3-431C883A53B5.jpeg
084EC87E-0243-4A8A-9FEF-86BF8200D8D7.jpeg

03' White Snake

Established Member
That is a windage tray gasket setup. Lots of companies make them, Moroso etc. That is not factory.

You should only need RTV where the timing cover meet the pan, and the rear main seal meet the pan.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's not factory for these cars. Since it's looks like it's plastic I'd guess it's one for the 11-14 GT500.

Personally I'd keep it and hit the spots white snake mentioned with RTV. I prefer the ultra grey on my stuff.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ok right on, yeah my friend confirmed we got that from MMR when we did the build. i pulled it off and am just gonna RTV both sides all around. I definitely dont wanna do this again. It actually is a pretty ez job if u have all the tools.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well got it all back together, RTV on both sides of MMR windage tray, new MMR oil pan hex bolts torqued to about 22 ft/#'s and after a few pulls it leaked like no other lol. Blue smoke all behind me (from oil burning off the exhaust).

Anyway, I've almost got the k-member off again and was wondering is there a SURE bet way to not have this leak again? Like a new Moroso oil pan, ditch the windage tray, get a NEW windage tray? Just looking for ideas, i dont wanna have to do this a 3rd time. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread