Pulling L out of storage.. Rear wheel locked up..

Chemicals_5000

Established Member
So I finally go to get my Lightning out of storage after 2.5 years.. and it won't back up. Left rear wheel seems to be moving freely but the right rear wheel is firmly stuck.

I jacked the rear end up and pulled the right rear tire off but I can't get the hub to spin in neutral or drive. The brake pad is tight on the disc which has a light coat of what appears to be rust. I pumped the brakes for a while and put the emergency brake on and off to no avail.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but is there anything I can do to get it unstuck or at least free it up so I can get it to a shop?

NSSVT

Established Member
was your emergency brake on during storage? if it was the cable could of seized up enough to hold that one side from turning. if so give the hub area a few taps with a hammer to see if it releases. dont hit it like a mad man though. be sure not to hit wheel studs. or get a mechanically inclined friend to look at it

Stinger2007

Established Member
I'd try and maybe spray some lube, or something on it to break it loose. A friend of mine had this happen after a long hybernation. I remember him finially breaking things loose by simply driving it forward.

good luck.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I'd guess it's the pad stuck to the disk. Once you break them loose it'll most likely work ok.

Take the wheel off. Then take a hammer and long screwdriver and moderately whack both pads in each direction. Look for even the slightest movement.

Bet ya it'll roll afterwards...

Rich

Chemicals_5000

Established Member
Thank you all so much for the help.

@NSSVT - Yes, the emergency brake was on during storage. When I spin the left rear wheel, I can hear the pad just barely making contact with the disc.

NSSVT

Established Member
right on. so its most likely the emergency brake shoe stuck to the inside of the rotor. which you'll have to brake loose with a small hammer. like Z7what said.

Chemicals_5000

Established Member
Seems the problem may be more sinister than the emergency brake being stuck on. I jacked it up, removed the caliper and pads and I still cant rotate the hub at all.

Is it possible something got ****ed up in the differential? The left rear spins freely enough. Can I remove the cover to get a better idea?

EDIT: Ok, the right rear wheel will spin forward in drive freely but when I put it in reverse it locks up, the left rear will move freely either way.

Last edited:

Chemicals_5000

Established Member
Ok. I am an idiot, but it's rolling now. After nearly completely removing everything, it really was the parking brake, I didn't realize it was separate from the caliper. I had to cut the line to the right rear though as it was über-taught and time became a factor, oh well.

NSSVT

Established Member
lol. glad you got it fixed. yeah it has its own brake shoe inside the rotor for the e-brake, and its own adjuster

Users who are viewing this thread