pulling a toy hauler?

frogsdime

Established Member
Has anyone used there L to pull a toy hauler say a 24' one loaded with bikes. I know there are toy haulers out there that 1/2 ton trucks can pull but was wondering if anyone has actually done it.

Any feedback would help alot. I am looking at getting one to haul my 2 polaris atvs and have some where to camp too. Thanks

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
I pulled mine with a 700 & 500 Sportsman and 330 Magnum in it. It worked but was not as relaxing as pulling it with my Superduty. Not the best pic but here is my old trailer behind my L.

trailerATVtires55gallondrums004.jpg

trailerATVtires55gallondrums002.jpg

frogsdime

Established Member
how did it pull? Did it seem to struggle the whole time or just getting to cruising speed? That set up is very similar to what I am looking at? How far have you pulled that? How big is that hauler?

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I've pulled an open trailer several times with zero issues with my dad's 01. He has pulled a enclosed car trailer full of parts which were probably heavier than an actual car because there was about six engines among other things in it back from florida and he had zero issues.

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
I took my new trailer to New Braunfels Texas over the weekend. It's a 27'er with a superslide. Total dry weight is 6K pounds.

What kind of weight are you talking? I added an additional trans cooler w/ an electric fan to ensure the tranny ran cool. The trans temp never went over 180* on the highway. It ran 205* driving in the city.

Another important word of advice. I suggest you run a tune with low timing or else you will detonate while climbing long winded inclines. I thank PSI Motorsports for the bad gas tune I had on my Xcal II. It made a night & day difference.

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_06481.JPG

IMG_06491.JPG

Last edited:

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
how did it pull? Did it seem to struggle the whole time or just getting to cruising speed? That set up is very similar to what I am looking at? How far have you pulled that? How big is that hauler?

It pulled fine but it is a heavy trailer so was about 6000#'s the way I towed it. Just not as relaxing as pulling it with my 7500# longer wheelbase truck. No problem getting up to speed at all but kept boost below 10#'s when accelerating. I've pulled that and other similar weight trailers around town short distances a lot. Only one highway trip with it about 60 miles each way. I kept overdrive off and ran my 6# lower instead of my 10#. That way I could cruise 62-65 without boost. That trailer is 20' of square floor space plus 5' of V. Just under 27' total outside and 8.5 feet wide. I've loaded 5 ATV's in it before but one of those was a little 90.

Remember though you MUST have trailer brakes when pulling something that weighs close too or is heavier than your tow vehicle.

Matt

frogsdime

Established Member
wow thanks for the feedback guys. The trailer i am looking at is about 24' and no longer with loaded weight of no more than 7k pounds including the bikes. So it seems I prolly could install and low end tune and put a trans cooler on her and let her rip.

Of course I would need a different hitch and trailer brakes are like said before a must

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
hey Ron, what class hitch is that? And do you have helper bags?

I'll be towing my 10 second 2000 harley truck to the track with another 2000 harley truck I just bought 2 weeks ago.

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
To stay on subject somewhat, is anyone on here using the helper bags for the rear? I'm lowered about 6 or 7 inches in the rear and will be using the truck to haul an RX-7 to the track occasionally...Figured it would be nice to not ride on the frame at the C-notch while towing.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
The relatively short wheelbase of the L would scare me more than the weight of the trailer.

You are absolutely correct on that. I've towed thousands of miles with many different tow vehicles and different trailers. Towing the one above with my L was a little uncomfortable because that much weight combined with a short wheelbase tow rig. However, I was suprised how well it towed actually. I think the 295/45-18 tires actually helped compared to towing with more typical taller, narrower tires. With almost no sidewall wiggle/squirm it tracked better than I expected.

ibismojo

Established Member
Has anyone towed up grades (6% or more) for extended period of time? I'll need to tow my Ranger and trailer in the future....should be at 5k if not slightly over. I was thinking of getting some 16" wheels and D Load Range tires to facilitate the heavier load....plus I need to pull it on dirt too....not sure how the street tires would hold up to that.

frogsdime

Established Member
I didnt know you could get a distrubution hitch either. What is the sole purpose of this style hitch? To make the tongue weight less? Or make it tow better?

What is the stock hitch rated at? I cant read mine but it seems 500 tongue and 5000 total weight? If so how are people towing more than that?

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
I didnt know you could get a distrubution hitch either. What is the sole purpose of this style hitch? To make the tongue weight less? Or make it tow better?

Yes it shifts excess weight towards the trailer and not the rearend of your vehicle. It help stabilze the load as well. I also have the friction sway control but I still need to install it. It adapts to the weight distribution kit.

Draw-Tite Friction Sway Control Assembly and Fasteners 3400

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Has anyone towed up grades (6% or more) for extended period of time? I'll need to tow my Ranger and trailer in the future....should be at 5k if not slightly over. I was thinking of getting some 16" wheels and D Load Range tires to facilitate the heavier load....plus I need to pull it on dirt too....not sure how the street tires would hold up to that.

Stock tires should be fine & you should be OK pulling that uphill as long as you try and keep speeds where you are using little or no boost.

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
wow thanks for the feedback guys. The trailer i am looking at is about 24' and no longer with loaded weight of no more than 7k pounds including the bikes. So it seems I prolly could install and low end tune and put a trans cooler on her and let her rip.

Of course I would need a different hitch and trailer brakes are like said before a must

Here's some info on the cooler and E-fan I ran. I also bypassed the radiator and ran it as a stand alone system.

4L60E, 700R4, 4L80E, 4R100, E4OD, 2004R, C6, TH350, TH400 Transmission: Hayden 26,000 GVW Transmission Cooler with installation kit

Flex-a-lite 392 - Flex-a-lite Syclone S-Blade Electric Fans – SummitRacing.com

Flex-a-lite 31147 - Flex-a-lite Adjustable Electric Fan Controllers – SummitRacing.com

trans_failure_temp_chart.jpg

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
To stay on subject somewhat, is anyone on here using the helper bags for the rear? I'm lowered about 6 or 7 inches in the rear and will be using the truck to haul an RX-7 to the track occasionally...Figured it would be nice to not ride on the frame at the C-notch while towing.

We have the Firestone helper bags on ours, made a HUGE difference when towing. However, we have 2" dropped shackles and the bags lifted it back up an inch at 10psi (min pressure required w/ no trailer) I don't think they would work with a truck as low as yours, you'd probably have to do actual airbags.

Helper bags @ 60psi

trucktow.jpg

The relatively short wheelbase of the L would scare me more than the weight of the trailer.

With an open car trailer, we had no issues with the short wheelbase; it actually made it a lot easier to maneuver through parking lots and gas stations.

Stock tires should be fine & you should be OK pulling that uphill as long as you try and keep speeds where you are using little or no boost.

And STAY OUT OF OVERDRIVE!!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread