Pulling a 2v 4.6 engine out

dustincsmith

Established Member
I am removing just the engine through the top of the engine bay. My question is do I have to remove the starter? I have removed all 7 t45 to engine bolts and it doesn't seem to budge. Yes the motor mounts are free and everything else is to. The motor comes up just fine, however will not break free of trans. I have read some people say 7 bolts and motor mounts and it should come off with some shaking and prying. Other people have said to take the starter off as well
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

dustincsmith

Established Member
Yes however I am leaving the trans/bell housing in the car and the starter doesn't look like any of the three bolts go through the block.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
You do need to remove the starter,.just no way around it ,because if you have an automatic , you need to take the 4 torque converter nuts off the faceplate in order to separate the engine from the transmission .
The starter bolts also pass thru the spacer plate between engine and trans, and that plate is between the flywheel and engine block .

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The starter definitely isn't doing you any favors. It doesn't take much time to take the starter off, so might as well just do it.

dustincsmith

Established Member
Thanks guys for the info it was very helpful! 7 bolts engine to trans, 3 starter bolts and then 2 bolts for the dust shield. Any ways motor is out of the car thanks guys!

dustincsmith

Established Member
Forging the lower end and the passenger head shot a spark plug out. So I am having inserts put in all the plug holes

StalkerStang

Established Member
Ah shit, sorry to hear that man. All the threads looked really good and it didn't have FI, I'm surprised it did it.

Who is doing the bottom end on it?

dustincsmith

Established Member
Ah shit, sorry to hear that man. All the threads looked really good and it didn't have FI, I'm surprised it did it.

Who is doing the bottom end on it?
I'm going with AZMP. They seem to be reputable. I have been seeing a lot of people say stay away from some other shops around here so we will see i guess. Who would yup go through?

Users who are viewing this thread