Pullied Cobra Vert vs Fox Body

Turbo04Mystichr

Established Member
This is my first post in this section so hopefully its not too bad...but anyways my friend has a 84 mustang with 306 D.S.S shortblock, exhaust, suspension, 125 shot, a cell for race fuel, and Nitto 555r's. On the dyno sprayin he says he puts down close to 430 with the race fuel. Not sure?

My car is 03 cobra convertible with drop in air filter, 2.81 upper pulley, and cat-back exhaust running street tires. The only thing i have upgraded since i owned the car (which hasn't been long) was the pulley and tune.

So we go out for a lil drive on some back roads just having fun and on the way back to his house we decide to do a 10 mph roll since i have street tires and he has nitto's. well he honks it off and we both hit it. He sprayed with the 116 octane fuel from the start and jumps 3 cars on me instantly. i'm fightin for traction in 1st so i pull 2nd and get my traction. I pull him back in quick and ended up beatin him by one to one and a half car lengths. He had 3 people total in his car and it was just me in mine with the top down.

I really expected to lose the race just because of how much everyone talks this car up. I did have the vert to the track about 2 weekends ago and the the best i could get on the street tires was a 12.6 in the quarter which i'm happy with for it being my D.D. The real fun for me is when the other cobra gets out of the shop....:rockon:

cobrasvtcrazy

New Cobra Maniac
Established Member
sounds like it was a sick race. i love 5.0 but i think the cobra is the shit imo. next you have to face a fellow snake from that shop :) good luck and nice win

Turbo04Mystichr

Established Member
Thanks a lot it was fun. i did run a redfire coupe and had about the same results as this race. yeah when my turbo cobra comes home to me its gonna be fun times. can't wait to post a kill story with that car. but the thing i keep thinkin about is does the fox's power seem right? i would think it would be less power then he said he makes. all motor when it was first done it put down 300whp unless he is runnin a bigger shot then said??

ACJ

Established Member
306 D.S.S shortblock, exhaust, suspension, 125 shot, no where close to 430 rwhp. Mabe 330 RWHP

Scottyk

Established Member
You can make alot of power with a 306, all depends on what heads, intake, camshaft, rpm range, trans etc.. Just by knowing what short block is in the car doesnt really mean anything, its what he bolted on top of the shortblock that makes the difference

ACJ

Established Member
This is my first post in this section so hopefully its not too bad...but anyways my friend has a 84 mustang with 306 D.S.S shortblock, exhaust, suspension, 125 shot, a cell for race fuel, and Nitto 555r's. On the dyno sprayin he says he puts down close to 430 with the race fuel. Not sure?

My car is 03 cobra convertible with drop in air filter, 2.81 upper pulley, and cat-back exhaust running street tires. The only thing i have upgraded since i owned the car (which hasn't been long) was the pulley and tune.

So we go out for a lil drive on some back roads just having fun and on the way back to his house we decide to do a 10 mph roll since i have street tires and he has nitto's. well he honks it off and we both hit it. He sprayed with the 116 octane fuel from the start and jumps 3 cars on me instantly. i'm fightin for traction in 1st so i pull 2nd and get my traction. I pull him back in quick and ended up beatin him by one to one and a half car lengths. He had 3 people total in his car and it was just me in mine with the top down.

I really expected to lose the race just because of how much everyone talks this car up. I did have the vert to the track about 2 weekends ago and the the best i could get on the street tires was a 12.6 in the quarter which i'm happy with for it being my D.D. The real fun for me is when the other cobra gets out of the shop....:rockon:

I didn't read where he said anything about heads, cam or intake combo . I read it as 306 with exhaust. Did I miss something?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You can make alot of power with a 306, all depends on what heads, intake, camshaft, rpm range, trans etc.. Just by knowing what short block is in the car doesnt really mean anything, its what he bolted on top of the shortblock that makes the difference

+1. You guys can't assume what power level it has without knowing all the details. If it has the right internal parts with a good set of flowing heads it will make great power. I've seen guys spin these at a fairly decent rpm as well. It's not hard to have a n/a 306 run 11's let alone one with the juice.

OP: great story and good kill!

Last edited:

Freakingstang

Established Member
306 D.S.S shortblock, exhaust, suspension, 125 shot, no where close to 430 rwhp. Mabe 330 RWHP

No way. My ported GT-40 headed 80K mile stock shortblock made 290/330 with a ported intake, cam, longtubes etc.

Good heads, better intake than what i had with a buck 25 shot...430 is really possible

But, just a pullied cobra vert....mine weighs 4060 with me in it (155lbs and heavy custom wheels) should have got pulled on imo. unless the three passangers were 350lbs each and the driver can't drive.....

Good kill dude

ACJ

Established Member
No way. My ported GT-40 headed 80K mile stock shortblock made 290/330 with a ported intake, cam, longtubes etc.

Good heads, better intake than what i had with a buck 25 shot...430 is really possible

But, just a pullied cobra vert....mine weighs 4060 with me in it (155lbs and heavy custom wheels) should have got pulled on imo. unless the three passangers were 350lbs each and the driver can't drive.....

Good kill dude

I guess I'm still missing something I have yet to see were he said he had after market heads and cam or is this assumptions . An he was makes 716 HP LOL yeah right.

Vehicle: 04 Cobra HP: 716 TQ: 623

Last edited:

Freakingstang

Established Member
I guess I'm still missing something I have yet to see were he said he had after market heads and cam or is this assumptions . An he was makes 716 HP LOL yeah right.

What does having a 306 mean? Means nothing other than it is 306 CI. You're wanting to assume it has stock heads. Let me ask you this. How many stock E7 headed cars are still running around when you can buy a good set of heads for 1K?

I have a 306 in my 86. It makes 550 RW.

There does that make you feel better? I didn't mention the heads, cam, intake, blower, headers, 90mm TB, or 8.8mm spark plug wires for that matter.

ACJ

Established Member
What does having a 306 mean? Means nothing other than it is 306 CI. You're wanting to assume it has stock heads. Let me ask you this. How many stock E7 headed cars are still running around when you can buy a good set of heads for 1K?

I have a 306 in my 86. It makes 550 RW.

There does that make you feel better? I didn't mention the heads, cam, intake, blower, headers, 90mm TB, or 8.8mm spark plug wires for that matter.

Again there you go assuming what this guy has . I didn't post the thread I'm only commenting on what he said. NOW you're adding your combo not his .Everyone quick to post what they had and not what he posted. Who cares about your 306 he wasn't running you or your combo.

gargstang

Established Member

The OP was speaking of his 03 with limited mods. Not the 04 you qouted.:shrug:

Turbo04Mystichr

Established Member
The fox is a buddy of mine's car. it has heads and cams i just don't know the set up. The car also has suspension so it hooks rather well and is caged. The passengers are small ppl like me. My 03 vert is pretty much stock and i weigh 145 lbs. For the 716 hp 623 tq thats in my 04 coupe for those that are confused. I also found out to that when we ran this race he lost bottle pressure or it was empty, don't really know not a big fan of the juice

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread