pulley / idler question?

Roots25

Roots25
Established Member
Looking to upgrade my pulley's and idlers...
What are good pulley's to run, 4lb, 6lb???
Who makes the best idlers??

This is my everyday driver through the spring, summer, fall...so im looking for performance, but drivability, durability, and also track performance at the local strip?

Thanks for the help

Any other upgrades i need to make, to match the pulley upgrade?

Drive Hard

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Billetflow pulleys/idlers all the way. I have the 2.93 upper and 4 pc idlers for now and I couldn't be happier......at least til I add the 4lb lower. ;-) The 2.93 is a popular size upper for those who run combos and all you will need is a tune until you add a lower. You will not believe how much better your car feels with the extra boost, it just wakes the car up throughout the entire tach range but is still completely driveable. When (not if) you add a lower pulley and port, you may need to do fuel upgrades to match. Good luck and have fun. :beer:
Clicky here for billetflow!!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First decide how much power you're looking to make. Before my blower port I was using a Reichard Racing (http://www.reichardracing.com/) Ultra-Grip 2.90 pulley, Billetflow 3-piece idler set, and an Amazon tune. I was extremely pleased with the setup. I made 457rwhp and 480rwtq. I wasn't drastically overspinning the blower so IMO the 2.90/2.93 is a very good choice (with stock lower). For me it was the perfect combo. If you're looking for a bit more, I would add a Metco 4 lb. lower to the above (http://www.metcomotorsports.com/catalog.html). And later you can port the blower and knock on the 500rwhp door! ;-)

Roots25

Roots25
Established Member
another kinda of stupid question, but im just trying to save some money right now. Do you need to dyno after a tune? A shop nearby is tuning my cobra on july 1st, and they have to put it on a dyno for about 2 hours after the tune, not really looking to pay the 100+ an hour for them to dyno my car...any info'd be great...thanks

drive hard

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Personally I love my Metco idler pullies. Regardless..its is very important that you change them as the stock ones shear and can damage your lower pully or radiator or a number of other things. I have seen more long term degredation with the Billet Flow pullies and have heard of none with the Metcos. Do some research and decide for yourself but thats my research. I will post the Billet Flow and the where they go etc etc to help. If you get an email tune from a tuner then yes you need to have the car dynoed so you can see where your tune really is. You can also/or data log and send that info from your handheld tuner to your tuning person of choice through the email so they can make final adjustments. -Shane

where-they-go.jpg

Stock lower idler I sheared
307b.gif

Metcos I bought
c17d.gif

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Roots25 said:
another kinda of stupid question, but im just trying to save some money right now. Do you need to dyno after a tune? A shop nearby is tuning my cobra on july 1st, and they have to put it on a dyno for about 2 hours after the tune, not really looking to pay the 100+ an hour for them to dyno my car...any info'd be great...thanks

drive hard
No, you do not need to dyno after a tune. Is your tuner saying they have to use the dyno? It is common for tuners to use a dyno to tune your car but that adds cost to the tune. You should be able to get a canned tune for your setup that should be just fine. Check with your tuner. Or call a shop like Amazon or MileHi and they can get you a mail-order tune. I had an Amazon mail-order tune and it was absolutely spot on! I never used a dyno to tune until just before I sold the car. And Amazon's tune was much better! Best of luck!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
CobraBob said:
No, you do not need to dyno after a tune. Is your tuner saying they have to use the dyno? It is common for tuners to use a dyno to tune your car but that adds cost to the tune. You should be able to get a canned tune for your setup that should be just fine. Check with your tuner. Or call a shop like Amazon or MileHi and they can get you a mail-order tune. I had an Amazon mail-order tune and it was absolutely spot on! I never used a dyno to tune until just before I sold the car. And Amazon's tune was much better! Best of luck!

What Bob said. I would also highly recommend Jon Lund for your tune. He was very cool with me and sent me my tune for a similar setup and the car runs great. He is very highly regarded on these boards as well. :beer:

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I started with a 2.93 upper and a tune from Amazon. My cobra laid down 450 rwhp and 461 rwt on a local dynojet. I replaced all of my idler pullies and added a snub idler for belt slip. After getting used to this combo, I needed more~~ I then added a Metco 4 lb lower kit and a good tune and my numbers increased to 475 rwhp and 518 rwt!! The car felt like a torque monster!! Luckily, I didn't have to replace the MAF of add a BAP.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
RR03COBRA said:
I started with a 2.93 upper and a tune from Amazon. My cobra laid down 450 rwhp and 461 rwt on a local dynojet. I replaced all of my idler pullies and added a snub idler for belt slip. After getting used to this combo, I needed more~~ I then added a Metco 4 lb lower kit and a good tune and my numbers increased to 475 rwhp and 518 rwt!! The car felt like a torque monster!! Luckily, I didn't have to replace the MAF of add a BAP.
Awesome numbers! Yeah, you're below the "borderline" point where you'd run out of fuel with the stock pumps. I can well imagine how 518rwtq felt the first time you drove it. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread