Pulley bridge questions

black2kstang

Established Member
I am currently fighting multiple really odd issues on a whipple car thats kicking my butt. It is shredding belts shortly after they are put on. There were some alignment issues that I have semi taken care of but I have an issue that is concerning. When I loosen the bolts on all of the supercharger idlers, there is SUBSTANTIAL wobble of the pulley on the hub it sits on (wobbling by hand and no belt tension). It is obvious that these hubs are worn to some degree (paint is missing), but I am wondering how snuggly the inner race of the bearing should be on the hub that they slide on. I am wondering if these pulleys are wobbling enough to cause some of this issue. Can anyone put a set of calipers on any of these and get a measurement for me or at least check to see if you get any wobble from the pulleys with the bolt out? I am wondering if I need to replace the entire pulley bridge.

MG0h3

Established Member
You shouldn’t really losing any material from the bridge where the bearing rides.

They’d had to seize up or bolts left loose maybe.

I’d grab a new National 6203 bearing or whatever the local parts store has that’s equivalent. Slide that on and see what you get.

Sure it’s not worn bearings causing the play?

Do you have the factory lower still? Alternator? Those are the two most common causes of belt pulley alignment issues

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

black2kstang

Established Member
Factory lower but aftermarket alt. I have had alignment issues with the alt due to the way it bolts up. That’s the “semi fixed alignment”. I put all new bearings in the idlers and still get a lot of wobble so I’m thinking the pulley bridge needs to be replaced.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Have you had the bridge or timing cover powder coated or painted? I had a similar issue, turns out paint thickness and the paint actually shrinking with heat caused my pulley bridge to be loose and started throwing belts.

I took off the bridge, removed paint/ powder from bolting faces and put it back on, tightend everything and the issue went away.

Another issue I had was the stock tensioner spring became weak from running tight belts all the time. During hard hits it was putting slack in the belt and throwing them. New Roush tensioner (with 3mm spacers and pulley swap) fixed that. Haven’t thrown a belt since.

MG0h3

Established Member
Geez I missed the “paint is missing” part. Should never have been paint. I don’t even know how you’d get them in with paint as they are a non press fit but have very little clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread