pulley/ belt HELP!!!!!

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
getblown03 said:
I do plan on checking my alt bearings tomorrow as well. I want to replace my idler bearings I PMed doug from BF and haven't heard anything back from him yet but is it possible to order replacement bearings I just want to cover all of the bases
did you ever resolve your noise issue?

getblown03

Established Member
Not yet im still waiting on a belt! They are on back order right now! but i can say that doug is the man he sent me 4 new bearings for my car

getblown03

Established Member
well we put the the bearing in and still SLIGHT squeeking belt will be here tomorrow (cross your fingers)!!!! The belt was ordered last monday. From what Goodyear says they are on back order!! will keep you updated on what happens tomorrow

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
getblown03 said:
well we put the the bearing in and still SLIGHT squeeking belt will be here tomorrow (cross your fingers)!!!! The belt was ordered last monday. From what Goodyear says they are on back order!! will keep you updated on what happens tomorrow

Goodluck, but u have nothing to worry about, as soon as u put that Gatorback on your prob will go away. I go through belts all the time and i know its tuff finding the right lengths in stock w/ the gatorbacks, but unless ur running high boost you won't have change it too often.

getblown03

Established Member
GATORBACK BELTS MAKE MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!!!!!! THANKS GUYS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT!!!!!:lol: :lol: :pepper: :bowdown: :bowdown:

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
IronTerp said:
About 90% of all the Terminator folks that I know, are currently using Gates 8 rib belts for their supercharger drive system. I don't think that the belt is the problem.......
GOOD CALL

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
yes, you were right in this case

I'll admit that I hadn't heard of this before but maybe that's because most people I know run Gates and have no problems with noise

IMO, your ego might be larger than your knowledge base......bang your drum a little louder and we'll be even more impressed :)

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
JB said:

I'll admit that I hadn't heard of this before but maybe that's because most people I know run Gates and have no problems with noise

IMO, your ego might be larger than your knowledge base......bang your drum a little louder and we'll be even more impressed :)
Wow JB, didn't even notice the classy responses our boy, KB04Cobra, left for the world.......Very impressive! He needs to spend more time on SVTP and post up more often so we all can benefit from his infinite wisdom. ;-)

1fastredcobra

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Oh, I know a few people and some of them drive Terminators......... ;-) I've had to learn the hard way, but I'm always careful when I use the word "definate" on this Forum. Just never can tell...... :pop:

Hey IronTerp's right on this one. Just because you got lucky and the gatorback worked, don't think it's the final answer:nono: . I had the same problem with the squeaking belt. I tried the gatorback, and thought it was the biggest POS I ever used. My hood insulation still bears the scars from where it blew up on me during a hard run. Turned out after a thorough analysis that my metco lower was slightly out of alignment with my other pullies. I had some spacers machined to bring it back into line and no more problem. I now run a gates belt and WONT run any other kind. I know a bunch of guys that run a gatorback and love it. It's whatever works for the particular car. Just be aware that there may be more behind a belt problem than there first appears.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
IronTerp said:
Wow JB, didn't even notice the classy responses our boy, KB04Cobra, left for the world.......Very impressive! He needs to spend more time on SVTP and post up more often so we all can benefit from his infinite wisdom. ;-)
:pop:

Well I have the same problem as this guy did and I'm running a Delco belt right now. It's about to be replaced with a Dayco Poly Cog, which looks similar in design to the Gatorback, so we'll see if that works. If my pulley is out of alignment, it is very slight because it looks right on from what I can tell.

1fastredcobra

Established Member
jmproductions said:
:pop:

Well I have the same problem as this guy did and I'm running a Delco belt right now. It's about to be replaced with a Dayco Poly Cog, which looks similar in design to the Gatorback, so we'll see if that works. If my pulley is out of alignment, it is very slight because it looks right on from what I can tell.

On mine they all "looked" to be in alignment also, but we put a straight edge on the pullies and sure enough, the lower was out of line. It doesn't take much. The weird thing is, I ran the car for a year with the pully out of line without realizing it before the problem started. All of the sudden, the belt starts squealing, so I figure I need a new belt. I talked to someone who was high on the gatorback, so I put on a gatorback and it blows up. So I switch back to a gates and it takes about 100 miles and its starting to squeal again. Put another gates belt on, same thing. So I really start to check the pullies and find they are out of line. I have the spacers made and installed, and no more problem. It's been a year and I just replaced the belt again finally after a very hard day at the track. If I can get a year out of the belt driving it hard, I'm satisfied.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
1fastredcobra said:
On mine they all "looked" to be in alignment also, but we put a straight edge on the pullies and sure enough, the lower was out of line.
Ok I'll check it with a straight edge. I really wasn't too concerned about the problem because it shuts up once the car warms up for a bit. The only reason I'm changing belts is because I have to for the new alt pulley. Where did you get your shims made?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup got under the car and really had to take a close look but the lower is slighty back relative to where it goes up to the tensioner pulley. Couldn't be more than a 1/16 of an inch, I'm surprised that it would matter being off such a small amount.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok the plot sickens... I called Metco about this and they said my problem probably was my Delco belt because of a slighty different rib design. They said if the belt wasn't frayed on the edges it's not an alignment issue and they ONLY recommend using Gates belts.. period. So I guess I'll go get a Gates and see what happens but my gut tells me that 1fastred is right and the pulley is off a little.

Last edited:

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
JB said:

thanks . . . my bad, didn't mean to be a dick, i've been on this site since 04. this is just a new name. Sorry i'll tone it down a notch.

Users who are viewing this thread