pulley/ belt HELP!!!!!

getblown03

Established Member
Alright guys i cant take it anymore. Iv been through 6 belts and 2 sets of BF idlers and for some reason i cant get rid of this annoying squeeking. Iv heard ppl talk about slipage, spacing the lower pulley out, aliging the pullies, different belts (gatorback,gate's etc) i really dont know what to do any more. My last attempt was i had a 4 pc idler setup slung a bet for some reason it slipped and ate one rib. BTW i have a 2.8 and a 4# lower metco and bf idlers 78" belt. So i took the idler thats the closest off the snout of the SC and put a 77 3/4 gates belt on car is running awesome got it home poped the hood belt and all 8 ribs are still there but its really glazed!! Ok i can deal with it i say!! Next day crank the car squeek, squeek, squeek, squeek, and it only does it for the first 10 min or so till the car warms up. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY MORE I NEED YOUR HELP ASAP!!!!! I contacted BF to see if they have replacement bearings havent heard back yet thought about going to a gatorback but heard no's and yes's from different post's. I just dont know how to fix this problem! :shrug: :shrug:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
KB04Cobra said:
Its the belt! get rid of the Gates and get a gatorback, i had the same prob. trust me its that POS gates belt
About 90% of all the Terminator folks that I know, are currently using Gates 8 rib belts for their supercharger drive system. I don't think that the belt is the problem.......

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
IronTerp said:
About 90% of all the Terminator folks that I know, are currently using Gates 8 rib belts for their supercharger drive system. I don't think that the belt is the problem.......

Well you should meet some new ppl :) its def the belt and he'll post that it was as soon as he gets a gatorback

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
KB04Cobra said:
Well you should meet some new ppl :) its def the belt and he'll post that it was as soon as he gets a gatorback

that's really something that you're able to tell him DEFINITIVELY what his problem is....

I use and recommend GATES belts, so I obviously disagree with your assessment

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
if you shadowgraph a Gates belt to a pulley whose grooves are cut properly (conforming to the standards set forth in The Machinists Handbook), you will find that a Gates belt has an absolutely perfect match

you have to remember that a multi-ribbed pulley/belt is just a series of mini V-belts, meaning that the friction coefficient depends on how well the belt contacts the pulley on the slopes of the 'valleys'

obviously, this doesn't take into account the extra slip protection that comes from cross-cut pulley grooves, which are perpendicular to the direction of belt travel

Last edited:

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
JB said:
if you shadowgraph a Gates belt to a pulley whose grooves are cut properly (conforming to the standards set forth in The Machinists Handbook), you will find that a Gates belt has an absolutely perfect match

you have to remember that a multi-ribbed pulley/belt is just a series of mini V-belts, meaning that the friction coefficient depends on how well the belt contacts the pulley on the slopes of the 'valleys'

obviously, this doesn't take into account the extra slip protection that comes from cross-cut pulley grooves, which are perpendicular to the direction of belt travel
cool story . . . but if the squeeking noise goes away within ten minutes after cold starting the motor, and disappears until the next morning again when he cold starts the motor agian, then what could it be? I been through this same issue thats how i know what it is :)

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
theres nothing wrong w/ gates belts other than the fact that they squeek nasty when you cold start your motor in some applications

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
KB04Cobra said:
theres nothing wrong w/ gates belts other than the fact that they squeek nasty when you cold start your motor in some applications

but I thought they were a POS? :shrug:

I told my little story in response to your classification of them as such...

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
KB04Cobra said:
Oh, I know a few people and some of them drive Terminators......... ;-) I've had to learn the hard way, but I'm always careful when I use the word "definate" on this Forum. Just never can tell...... :pop:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
even if mine squeeked I would rather keep it and my minimum slip setup

Gates ribs are really meaty and they wear well

the only 'advantage' Gatorbacks have is that they are pre-stretched...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
JB said:
Gates ribs are really meaty and they wear well....

BTW, the fact that they have so much material there means they will produce a fair amount of dust, especially on a cross-cut pulley

this is often mistaken as evidence of belt slip...

getblown03

Established Member
Guys i really do appreciate all of your reccomendations im going to try getting a gatorback belt tomorrow and im going back to my 4 pulley set up! Its just a belt if that doesnt work ill move on to getting new pulleys or bearings again! Its just really embarrassing driving this awesome car and having this one pain in the a$$ squeek that i cant seem to get rid of but thanks again and ill be posting shortly after i get my new belt!

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I went from Gates to Gatorback, I just like the whistle of the Gatorback.

Maybe the squeaking is something inside the alternator? I know my moms Explorer squeaked on and off after startup but went away once warmed up, some shop fixed it by doing something with the alternator, not sure exactly what or how. :D Damn, I'm not very helpful.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
ohyeah, I forgot about the whistle

nothing wrong with a Gatorback...I just prefer Gates

alt bearings can go bad

getblown03

Established Member
I do plan on checking my alt bearings tomorrow as well. I want to replace my idler bearings I PMed doug from BF and haven't heard anything back from him yet but is it possible to order replacement bearings I just want to cover all of the bases

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Doug has been very busy doing some prototype work for a new Lysholm blower application

I linked him to this thread

best way to tell if it is an idler bearing is to replace with stock idlers one at a time

Users who are viewing this thread