Pulled the trigger on a 2016

Sonic2003blue

Established Member
Hey everyone,
As the title says, I could not help but get back into another Mustang. Although my Nissan Altima was the perfect DD, I missed being behind the wheel of a v8. After hearing stories about the troubles many MT82 owners were having, I went ahead and purchased an Auto. It is a premium pack DIB and so far I have added window tint and a Borla ATAK catback which I absolutely love.

The perks of course are the fact that it has all the unique and modern creature comforts but after owning a Terminator, the power just is not what I was hoping for. I have been doing TONS of research and ideally would like to go FI (Paxton or Vortech) when money and time permits. My next mods are going to be the Forgestar F14 Satin bronze wheels which I will probably stick with 19" over 20" I am also planning to do the Steeda suspension performance handling package prior to additional power adders.

Now for some questions:
As for a great DD suspension setup that will not darastically drop my car (for those who know how CA roads can be), what are your impressions on the Steeda packages? Anyone else with different DD setups feel free to chime in with info on your suspension likes/dislikes.

As I stated before, I do have plans of eventually going FI but what can I do in the meantime to make these Infiniti Q50s and BMW 340i drivers swallow their pride? I am sick of getting pulled on by these guys, haha. I've been hearing and reading great things about NA setups hitting 10 and 11 seconds. Keeping things under $5k at the moment, feel free to throw some ideas out at me as I am still learning about these Coyote 5.0 engines.

Anyone in the San Diego area recommend good tuners or shops? I will for sure be going with Shaun once I go FI, as I never had ANY issues with his tune on my Cobra.

Sorry about the long post and iPhone pictures. More to come in the near future!

IMG_1029 by sonic03blue, on Flickr

IMG_1025 by sonic03blue, on Flickr

forgestar by sonic03blue, on Flickr

steeda-s550-mustang-gt-non-performance-pack-handling-kit-15-16-gt-555-2354-0000 by sonic03blue, on Flickr

(Steeda s550 gt non performance pack suspension kit)

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
umm you shouldnt have a problem with infiniti q50 and or bmw 340i, those are 13 /14 second cars a stock new gt should be a 12.8-13.0 car.. I would suggest a tvs / whipple or kb, the new coyote motors seem to not make good power with centri blowers, vortechs seem to be only in the 500rwhp range, yet same tvs or vmp and whipple blowers on same boost of only 8-11psi are in the 600-700rwhp range. the n/a route = $. but a nice set of cams, shelby gt gt350 manifold long tubes tune and intake exaust is a solid 440-500rwhp car n/a. will get the thing into the 10s or 11's n.a . with a cams and bolt ons they seem to run low low 11's some high 10's with gear and slicks / race setups.

Last edited:

Ford1288

Established Member
Congratulations on the buy, beautiful car. There aren't any shops in SD that I could recommend, its been rough going down here for years. Hope to see you around town.

Sonic2003blue

Established Member
umm you shouldnt have a problem with infiniti q50 and or bmw 340i, those are 13 /14 second cars a stock new gt should be a 12.8-13.0 car.. I would suggest a tvs / whipple or kb, the new coyote motors seem to not make good power with centri blowers, vortechs seem to be only in the 500rwhp range, yet same tvs or vmp and whipple blowers on same boost of only 8-11psi are in the 600-700rwhp range. the n/a route = $. but a nice set of cams, shelby gt gt350 manifold long tubes tune and intake exaust is a solid 440-500rwhp car n/a. will get the thing into the 10s or 11's n.a . with a cams and bolt ons they seem to run low low 11's some high 10's with gear and slicks / race setups.

Thanks for the info. And yes, I agree and thought the same thing about there being no chance for a Q50 or 340i to pull on me. The first Q50 was definitely modded and pulled about two cars, second was stock and we were even from a 30mph roll the entire time until higher speeds (closed track, of course). The BMW was from a dig and although I did get some tire spin, he still had about a car on me. Should I be worried about an unhealthy engine before I start my modding? :uh oh:

On the other hand, I see you are running NA in your 95, which would definitely be something unique in comparison to most of the Mustang crowd down here. Have you heard any significant benefits about running e85 in the new S550's...I have been getting mixed reviews. What do you run through yours?

Last edited:

Sonic2003blue

Established Member
Congratulations on the buy, beautiful car. There aren't any shops in SD that I could recommend, its been rough going down here for years. Hope to see you around town.

Thanks! Are you in North County or South? I've been trying to find some meets besides the Qualcomm meets but am probably looking in the wrong places. Found an owner with a vortech charged bagged '13/'14 (absolutely Beastly) but besides that just the kids in their M3s and stanced Hondas.

Ford1288

Established Member
Thanks! Are you in North County or South? I've been trying to find some meets besides the Qualcomm meets but am probably looking in the wrong places. Found an owner with a vortech charged bagged '13/'14 (absolutely Beastly) but besides that just the kids in their M3s and stanced Hondas.
I live fairly close to downtown. Havent been that active lately with my stang but will be come spring time. The Mustang scene has really died down in this area lately. I mostly blame smog and this new Era of "stanced" cars and things of that sort. Being a military town doesn't help either as people who are enthusiasts come and go.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Angry50

Established Member
Thanks for the info. And yes, I agree and thought the same thing about there being no chance for a Q50 or 340i to pull on me. The first Q50 was definitely modded and pulled about two cars, second was stock and we were even from a 30mph roll the entire time until higher speeds (closed track, of course). The BMW was from a dig and although I did get some tire spin, he still had about a car on me. Should I be worried about an unhealthy engine before I start my modding? :uh oh:

On the other hand, I see you are running NA in your 95, which would definitely be something unique in comparison to most of the Mustang crowd down here. Have you heard any significant benefits about running e85 in the new S550's...I have been getting mixed reviews. What do you run through yours?

being an auto a tune will help the shifts.. id say a good tune setup be good.. i think VMP has a $1600 thats a gt350 manifold, intake, and tuner. supposed to be good beginning.

5.0jake

Established Member

You definitely shouldn't have any problems with a stock 340i as they are similar in weight and down a good 100 horse...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-bmw-340i-test-review

vs

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-automatic-test-review

I could see a Q50 red sport 400 being close but I doubt it was one of those:
http://www.caranddriver.com/infiniti/q50

I hate magazine racing but is an indication of what you're dealing with.

The coyote runs good but coming from a terminator you will be missing that in your face torque. A stock 5.0 should be a drivers race vs a stock terminator and is far from slow.
I'd go with a whipple to wake it up!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread