PSA: P-Zero's + Snow = No

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's been incredibly dry here in Colorado all winter long (at least on the front range) and so I haven't really had to worry about any hazardous conditions.

We did however get close to 10" late last week, which has hung around due to below normal temperatures.

I've been trying to hold out on snow tire purchases because right now the deals simply aren't there. The 19" tires are quite expensive and unfortunately most retailers have 18" wheels available for Brembo fitment on backorder.

As such I was forced t take the car out a couple times recently. Definitely not advisable.

I've had everything from a front wheel drive focus to a C6 Z06 on the snow and these are definitely the worse tires I've ever had the fortune to drive on in those conditions.

That's not to say that that these tires are bad, they are just not designed for temps below about 40 degrees at all.

Fortunately I have options with friend's co-workers and should be able to hold out until wheels become available. Hoping for an 18x8.5 so I can put a 235/50 series tire on it.

Just a friendly bit of advise!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
learn to drive cuz in 10" of snow my gt on perelli's drives like caddy

I'm not talking about the P-Zero Nero all season tire. I'm talking about the P-Zero summer tire which comes on the brembo equipped cars.

My driving is fine, I've driven two Corvettes (one a C6 Z) and 5 mustangs, ranging from GT's to Cobras and a terminator on the snow without even as much as a slide-off.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, but from a safety standpoint, it shouldn't be.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Just put some BFG A/Ts on it.

Haha, that would be nice! Lord knows there's wheel gap enough to fit them on the car!

Although, from a snow perspective I wasn't really all that impressed with that tire. Linear performance was as expected with a 4 wheel drive performance, and even stopping was okay. However lateral grip on snow and ice could be a lot better for that tire.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Haha, that would be nice! Lord knows there's wheel gap enough to fit them on the car!

Although, from a snow perspective I wasn't really all that impressed with that tire. Linear performance was as expected with a 4 wheel drive performance, and even stopping was okay. However lateral grip on snow and ice could be a lot better for that tire.

It'll pack up on you in certain conditions. I think it's great for and all around truck tire.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It'll pack up on you in certain conditions. I think it's great for and all around truck tire.

I'd have to agree. They were always my goto for my former Tacoma.

I was just a little let down by the cornering performance of the tire in said conditions. They were great in slush though. Especially when new.

kevinp

Established Member
Lets see, summer only tires in the winter :)

I've had summer tires on my old G8 and they sucked balls in the snow, couldnt even make it up my driveway. My E92 M3 has them as well and I wont even drive that thing when its DRY and below 40 degrees, its a death machine.

The all season 18" p-zeros on this GT work great in the snow :)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Lets see, summer only tires in the winter :)

I've had summer tires on my old G8 and they sucked balls in the snow, couldnt even make it up my driveway. My E92 M3 has them as well and I wont even drive that thing when its DRY and below 40 degrees, its a death machine.

The all season 18" p-zeros on this GT work great in the snow :)

I was really impressed with the BFG KDWS tires that were on my previous 08 GT/CS. Those things walked through the snow with ease.

In fact that GT was probably one of the best cars I've ever driven in the snow.

I just unfortunately purchased this 11 at a point where most of the winter tires/wheels have already been grabbed up.

kevinp

Established Member
I was really impressed with the BFG KDWS tires that were on my previous 08 GT/CS. Those things walked through the snow with ease.

In fact that GT was probably one of the best cars I've ever driven in the snow.

I just unfortunately purchased this 11 at a point where most of the winter tires/wheels have already been grabbed up.

I picked this GT up in NC during the coldest and snowiest day in years, no salt over the big mountais and I was really surprised how well the 18" AS p-zeros worked in the snow.

Users who are viewing this thread