PS3 motherboard

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Does anyone know where I can find a newmotherboard (CECHE01) for my brother's launch day system? After 5+ years of hard use the system started giving the YLOD. He's reflowed the board a couple of times but it ended up being a temporary fix (2-4 weeks), now he's convinced that the issue is the motherboard.

This is just a project to him, a new PS3 will be in the house soon, he just doesn't want to throw the old system out. Every board I've found has been used, I'm looking for a new board if there is such a thing anymore.

bam

Established Member
I can't help you find a motherboard, but I'm interested in the results of his experiment.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I can't help you find a motherboard, but I'm interested in the results of his experiment.

I'll let you know. The system worked fine after the re-flows, he did it twice. The fix just wasn't permanent. He did use new, good paste for the CPU...

RedFord96

Established Member
Does it absolutely HAVE to be new? There are always units being sold on eBay as parts consoles. A lot of them are typically the 40GB units that were notorious for bluray drive failures. Of course, I don't think one of those would let you retain all of the features of the launch console... :shrug:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Won't Sony replace it for $150?

He'd rather do it himself for $50-75. I asked him the same thing.

Does it absolutely HAVE to be new? There are always units being sold on eBay as parts consoles. A lot of them are typically the 40GB units that were notorious for bluray drive failures. Of course, I don't think one of those would let you retain all of the features of the launch console... :shrug:

He's looking for new, doesn't want to get one that may have the same issues that he already has. When he reflows the board the unit works perfectly...until it doesn't work at all, YLOD.

projectslideway

Established Member
Did he do a reflow station reflowing? If he didn't I would find someone who has one and go that route. Heat gun and oven fixes are almost always temporary.

AlanSVT

Established Member
Damn I hate to hear about his. I know my ps3 20gig is due to crap out some day real soon. Hope he finds the board.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I think it's funny that people with PS3 always have to insert some sort of great reason why the system failed because these were the same people bashing MS for XBOX failures. Doesn't matter how much you play it. The fact that your system died makes it a defected failure.

scottminot

Established Member
:shrug: WhatchatalkingboutWillis?

What he is talking about is heating up the circuit board to the point at which the solder will re-flow and potentially re-solder any solder joints that may have fractured or failed in some way.
Properly re-flowing solder on a complex circuit card like this is pretty much impossible to do at home. It takes specialized equipment to be done properly.
A lot of the component's (BGA components) solder joints can only be viewed via x-ray to see if they're flowed properly.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Damn I hate to hear about his. I know my ps3 20gig is due to crap out some day real soon. Hope he finds the board.
I have a launch as well, the key to saving your launch system is opening it up, cleaning the insides completely and more importantly cleaning up the dry (by now) thermal paste on the cpu and gpu, then applying a new paste.
I did this along with putting a 19-blade fan (mine had 15) and I know its ghetto but the whole system is elevated on 4 tins of pellet ammo.
My ultimate goal is to get one of those self contained cpu coolers (corsair h60) for each block (cpu and gpu) and put the whole system into a computer case. it will never over heat again!

people getting ylod with launch systems are because of the dried up thermal paste that was put in 5 years ago!

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
What he is talking about is heating up the circuit board to the point at which the solder will re-flow and potentially re-solder any solder joints that may have fractured or failed in some way.
Properly re-flowing solder on a complex circuit card like this is pretty much impossible to do at home. It takes specialized equipment to be done properly.
A lot of the component's (BGA components) solder joints can only be viewed via x-ray to see if they're flowed properly.

Yep pretty much. I fix XBOX's all the time here at work for random people to turn a couple extra dollars. But it is basically true that you can't do it at home. You need to flux the joint to be reflowed and apply localized heat to only the part needing reflow in a standardized heat cycle. Electronics manufacturers probably have this equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread