Prospective cobra owner questions

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Military here as well. What's wrong with YELLOW btw? lol. Anyway, with that amount down, hit your local credit union for a decent interest rate. Being military helps and with 10K down they will overlook a lack of credit because you will have as much or more invested into the car than they will so they will be more "at ease". If they dick you around keep looking until you find a CU that is right for you. Do all that first BEFORE you shop, so you know what you can get etc. Also check and then double check the insurance. I'm 39 with a clean history and was SHOCKED at how much more a cobra is then a regular mustang through USAA. I'm talking like 3 times the amount. Can't remember what I pay off the top of my head but it isn't cheap.

As far as the cars go, stay away from dealers. Most cars of this age they get at auctions when the original owner trades it in for the latest and greatest the big dealer sends it to auction and the little dealers take over. Anyway, point is, no history, recipts etc that way. Find a 1 or 2 owner car that you can go to the guys house to view. Look how the car "lives", behind his trailer under a tarp or on a lift in a heated garage? I can almost gaurantee the 2nd choice has had an easier life with better services.

Good luck and have fun with your hunt!

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I was going to put 10k down and finance the rest, wouldn't be a bad loan. And the 03/04 is what I love and am pretty much set on. If you have an suggestions Ill keep an open mind but these ones stop my heart just seeing them.

Save till you have it all. Economically speaking there's no reason to pay interest on a 10 old car. Many banks won't even give a loan for a vehicle that old anyway. Sorry to burst your bubble.

pulledup11

Established Member
Military here as well. What's wrong with YELLOW btw? lol. Anyway, with that amount down, hit your local credit union for a decent interest rate. Being military helps and with 10K down they will overlook a lack of credit because you will have as much or more invested into the car than they will so they will be more "at ease". If they dick you around keep looking until you find a CU that is right for you. Do all that first BEFORE you shop, so you know what you can get etc. Also check and then double check the insurance. I'm 39 with a clean history and was SHOCKED at how much more a cobra is then a regular mustang through USAA. I'm talking like 3 times the amount. Can't remember what I pay off the top of my head but it isn't cheap.

As far as the cars go, stay away from dealers. Most cars of this age they get at auctions when the original owner trades it in for the latest and greatest the big dealer sends it to auction and the little dealers take over. Anyway, point is, no history, recipts etc that way. Find a 1 or 2 owner car that you can go to the guys house to view. Look how the car "lives", behind his trailer under a tarp or on a lift in a heated garage? I can almost gaurantee the 2nd choice has had an easier life with better services.

Good luck and have fun with your hunt!

It's going to be around 4k a year for insurance, no getting around that really without time. Thank you all for your help. And NateDogg I definitely will be talking to my NCO's about it too, I talked about it a little already but once I see one I really want im going to talk to them a little more. You guys are all great

pulledup11

Established Member
Save till you have it all. Economically speaking there's no reason to pay interest on a 10 old car. Many banks won't even give a loan for a vehicle that old anyway. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Im not worried about the loan Tractionless1, I am military and with my down payment I don't want to be cocky but I know ill get it. Interest wont be horrible, around 6% just because its older, but I can deal with that for it being my favorite car

pulledup11

Established Member
Here is one thats a little cheaper and a little less mileage. Other than the spoiler its not bad shape.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...T[MUST%7CCobra]][]]&listingId=383218617&Log=0

That one is exactly what I was looking for, a little cheaper and miles not too bad. Sonic blue is beautiful too. Just that im scared to buy from OH feels too far

EDIT: Contacted seller to learn more, he already sold it autotrader hasnt removed it yet :(

EDIT2: I am looking at other mustangs besides cobras now, as bad as I want a cobra I have thought about a modded mach 1, still not sure if I will ever be truely satisfied without a cobra but a SC'd Mach 1 thats modded might compare for a cheaper price.

EDIT3: How would a well built mustang like this http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1033615-FS-FT-2004-Pearl-White-coupe-only-56-XXX-miles treat me compard to a cobra (definitely not that car, just used that picture to stress well built.)

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
That one is exactly what I was looking for, a little cheaper and miles not too bad. Sonic blue is beautiful too. Just that im scared to buy from OH feels too far

EDIT: Contacted seller to learn more, he already sold it autotrader hasnt removed it yet :(

EDIT2: I am looking at other mustangs besides cobras now, as bad as I want a cobra I have thought about a modded mach 1, still not sure if I will ever be truely satisfied without a cobra but a SC'd Mach 1 thats modded might compare for a cheaper price.

EDIT3: How would a well built mustang like this http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1033615-FS-FT-2004-Pearl-White-coupe-only-56-XXX-miles treat me compard to a cobra (definitely not that car, just used that picture to stress well built.)

IMO - don't settle for any other New Edge other than an 03/04 Cobra. If your willing to consider something else, maybe an 11\12 GT?

Users who are viewing this thread