Prospective cobra owner questions

pulledup11

Established Member
I have been browsing these forums for awhile and have decided it's time to jump in. I have become increasingly serious on buying a cobra and fulfilling my dream. I am a 19 year old and in the military and am about to hit a new permanant duty station so I feel it is time. I have been saving for awhile now even before the military and have some money to work with. I am a firm believer in buying things my parents didn't have as kids and didn't think I would have.

My only predicaments are that it would be my first time buying a car on my own and I am worried about getting a beaten cobra or one that won't last for what I payed for it.
Another problem is my proficiency with a stick is lacking and I don't want to disrespect such a beautiful car but I also believe it is my dream and the money I slaved for so I can sacrifice beating it up a bit.

If you could offer yours thoughts and opinions it would be greatly appreciated. I have thick skin so if you want to call me immature or inexperienced I won't be offended.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
How much can you spend without financing or is some of it going to have to be financed? I wouldn't worry about it being a stick, really a non-issue IMO, you'll learn quick enough. Are you set on a 03/04?

pulledup11

Established Member
I was going to put 10k down and finance the rest, wouldn't be a bad loan. And the 03/04 is what I love and am pretty much set on. If you have an suggestions Ill keep an open mind but these ones stop my heart just seeing them.

pulledup11

Established Member
So far the best one I have found for price mileage and condition is. http://altechcars.com/used-2003-FORD-MUSTANG/vd/11740
I was hoping for regular coupe not convertible but these boys are hard to find. I'm shopping mainly Virginia/DC and surrounding areas and also back home in Massachusetts and that surrounding area. Found a few questionable used ones but low prices scare me especially private party

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
So far the best one I have found for price mileage and condition is. http://altechcars.com/used-2003-FORD-MUSTANG/vd/11740
I was hoping for regular coupe not convertible but these boys are hard to find. I'm shopping mainly Virginia/DC and surrounding areas and also back home in Massachusetts and that surrounding area. Found a few questionable used ones but low prices scare me especially private party

That's a good looking car, but the miles are getting up there. Did you also see the $400 "processing fee" at the bottom? Check the for sale section on this site.

pulledup11

Established Member
Yea that's even more money to throw in. I'd try and talk him down a little bit I'd imagine him being firm with it. I want a little more price wiggle room

pulledup11

Established Member
Gonna be stationed in Washington DC. Only car. We get a parking garage to put vehicles in but depending on how much I pay for the car I might pay to get it stored elsewhere to protect it.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
You won't be disappointed! Just get it checked out.im an original owner & still modifying,racing & having fun with her!

blk02edge

Established Member
My one suggestion is if you really want a coupe wait for a coupe.

99GT35TH

Established Member
I just bought my 03 OW coupe with 56k miles for 17. Original price was 18 but when we found out it needed a new TOB we dropped it to 17. I was buying from out of state so I didn't get to see the car in person before I went all the way to Indiana from Georgia but overall I'm happy with it. Just make sure you don't jump the gun on ANYTHING

97StangSVT

Established Member
What color are you looking for? Are you looking for something stock, something with a few mods, or something highly modded? I see you want a coupe. How many miles would you like to stay under? How much money are you looking to spend? I see that you want to put 10k down. How much do you want to finance? Have you taken into account what insurance will cost? The website jbou91 linked to is a fantastic resource. I am located in Maryland and am willing to help you out if you want.

Joe

pulledup11

Established Member
Preferably any color but yellow. Blue and black are my favorites. And was hoping for something with no mods/lightly modded but i can accept mods case by case I guess. Preferably under 75k miles. I'm hoping to spend around $17,000. And yes insurance will be high but Ill manage.

Your help would be so appreciated!

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
Research research research. Don't jump at the first Cobra just to own a Cobra. I spent 2 years looking for my car and then I finally found it in 07'. I bought it right before my 21st birthday.

You will be much happier when you get a clean well taken care of car. Mods aside, its all how the car was maintained and cared for. There are cars with 20k miles and beat to crap while some have 75k and you would never know. Don't jump at the first one is my advice to you. Good luck.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
With ten grand down you should be in good shape. Just keep in mind that these cars are 10 years old. Meaning that some maintenance issues may come up and need attention.

Seeing that you are military ( I am aswell) I would say wait a little bit at first. Make sure you know the area and what your financial situation will be like once your are fully living your new military life. You may find that with your situation you may not need a car right off the bat.

I'd also advise you to ask your NCOs for some Guidance. Just don't go out and buy the first thing you see at a ridiculous interest rate. The older guys have been around the block and can teach you a few things.

People make a living taking advantage of young military personnel that are new to the car buying process so don't fall victim to these scams.

Your fleet and family services building should offer a car buying class. It's super informative and opened my eyes on a lot of different issues.

Insurance will be high because you are young, but your car payment should be relatively low considering your down payment. Just take your time and don't buy a piece of shit.

Once you finally decide to get your dream car. Enjoy the hell of out it. These cars are awesome. Good luck!!

Posted via Topify on Android

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
BTW looking at cars for around 17k you can and will find something very clean. Just for reference I bought a black cobra with 49k for 17500 and a sonic blue with 33k for 18500. Just be patient.

Posted via Topify on Android

97StangSVT

Established Member
I have been searching Craigslist in VA, MD, PA, and NJ and haven't really found anything yet. Also I didn't find much in the Market either.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders op! Great advice from everyone on here. Like others said don't settle and take your time! I feel I got a great deal back in 2010. My 03 had 20k miles and I paid 19.5k, and it seems the prices don't drop much from 20k to 50k mile cars. Mine still had the stock blower pulley on it when I bought it!

Users who are viewing this thread