Pros and Cons (Long tube headers)

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Pros and Cons (Long tube heards)

I need some feedback for the people who have long-tubes on there 99 or 01 cobra's. Would you do again? I have someone willing for a good $'s tho. But are they worth it? How's the sounds they make with shorty cats-h pipe or shorty-h off road pipe? Are they alot louder? How about the power increase for low-end? Which brand, Mac or BBK (chrome or HT-coating)? Just some questions for ya guys.:??: :burnout:

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Brad,

Long tubes are a great power mod if you can deal with the lengthly install - estimate is around 6-8 hours of labor. You should gain at least 15-20RWHP regardless of the H-pipe (Cats vs non). Save your money if your thinking short tubes. From looking at both the MAC and BBK headers I would go with the MAC due to the tube design. The BBK headers are indented in order to fit around the steering shaft - also individual flanges on the MAC's allow for port matching with the heads.

Bill

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by SlvrSnke01
Brad,

Long tubes are a great power mod if you can deal with the lengthly install - estimate is around 6-8 hours of labor. You should gain at least 15-20RWHP regardless of the H-pipe (Cats vs non). Save your money if your thinking short tubes. From looking at both the MAC and BBK headers I would go with the MAC due to the tube design. The BBK headers are indented in order to fit around the steering shaft - also individual flanges on the MAC's allow for port matching with the heads.

Bill

15 - 20 on a supercharged setup maybe. You will probably see more between 8 - 12 from longtubes on a mildly modified N/A setup. Also I would go with BBK, MAC has had some very serious quality issues concerning their coating.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Well I order the Mac long tubes with a catted h-pipe. I do agree with you Booyah, on the coating. If I have enought money I plan to get them chrome plated.:beer:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Now????????

Now, how about the people on this board that have installed them theirselfs?? Anyone?? Is there special tools needed? I have access to a lift, thank GOD!!! I'm thinks I need the tool for the fluid lines. Also what about gaskets, Felpro or Fords? Also what about bolts, reuse stock ones?

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Hooker just came out with some for our Cobra's. They tuck right under the car, better than any other (True Blue Performance in Benson, NC showed me some pictures of them). I think they are slightly more than $500 for coated ones.

William

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by willyum
Hooker just came out with some for our Cobra's. They tuck right under the car, better than any other (True Blue Performance in Benson, NC showed me some pictures of them). I think they are slightly more than $500 for coated ones.

William

That's true forgot about them but when I priced them they were way more expensive than that, $700+.

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Brad,

I agree the coating is poor quality on the MACs. Sending the header and H-pipe to Jet-Hot is an option if you are worried. This would make a nice addition if you plan on showing your car.

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
I have the Bassani X-pipe with cats and the Hooker system doesn't work with them. I will have to go to a BBK "H" or something else. I plan to do mine next month. I don't remember the price being anywhere close to $700. I'll let you know.

William

SVTNICK

Established Member
they are a pain in the ass to put in and can be expensive..but JDM sells them and are modular (they r more expensive then most brands)if you will..meaning they go in in pieces but you will not have to raise the motor to put em in..hence cheaper install...they are a great mod..especially if u have a sc..helps prolong engine life by reducing boost by about 1-2psi if u have a SC, but you will gain anywhere between 25-40 HP depending on setup. Jim at JDM passed this info along when I was at his shop a while back. A downfall is that u need an oxygen sensor extension that can fail easily and cause some problems if they are not of quality. TRying to think what else Ive heard that has not yet been said. I think thats it for now.

-Nick

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
SVTNICK, wait, you mean to tell me that you can't just cut and make longer wires?

What about installing the headers, theres to way that I've heard, 1 - lift the motor high. 2 - remove the k member.

I am not going to remove the k member even tho this easy to install the header. I think thats to much work, also ya have to re-aline your steering stuff again. And I don't want to worry about compressing the springs etc....

Any info on installing? :shrug:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by willyum
I have the Bassani X-pipe with cats and the Hooker system doesn't work with them. I will have to go to a BBK "H" or something else. I plan to do mine next month. I don't remember the price being anywhere close to $700. I'll let you know.

William

William

There is a GP on them on the corral right now.. 550 for the Jet Hot Coated ones!

Shawn

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Thanks Shawn. I don't think I can get them until next month. My better half has me on lock down. By the way, she didn't get me any crap about purchasing the rotors:lol:

William

SVTNICK

Established Member
brad65ford..
the oxygen sensor can somewhat be a problem from what I understand..and can cause problems (like the engine service light coming on allthe time) if the extension is not done with care. Just one of those things to be careful of when doing them. If u use the JDM headers, you dontn eed to lift anything or remove a thing. They go in in pieces, hence easier to put in..but more expensive. Give them a call....
-Nick

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
SVTNICK, I thank you for the info, but I order the mac with catted h this week. yeah i got to lift the motor! Fun right! About the oxygen sensors, I've heard that since they are going to be farther away (down stream) the car runs leaner. Ok with me, my car run rich right now. I'll let ya know if it pings.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
SVT told me that they had problems with the engine smoking when they installed them on their '99 project car.....something about the BBK's scavenging TOO well......

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
That was from poor quality control and it was on the MAC's, not any of the BBK's that I know of. Welding slag at the flanges was being sucked into the crank case through the EGR tube. This caused scoring of the cylinder walls and required a complete tear down and rebuild. Dont buy that "scavenging too well" line of BS.

Users who are viewing this thread