Proper front seal install, take a look at pic plz

BigmotoXer

Established Member
I built my 2011 5.0 in dec of 2013. I recently pulled it to do some crap(timing chain, phasers, etc) before I install Hellion TT. I'm changing the timing chain cover because it has hair-line fractures in it from factory(that I plugged up with Motocraft TA29). But look at the pic, at the oil where it was obviously leaking at the front seal. When I installed it, I used some locktite around the seal where it meets the timing cover. I tapped it in straight, not crooked, blah blah
Someone plz tell me the proper procedure of installing front(and rear)seals.
Help me to=
#1 not put it in backwards lol
#2 to know what to use to tap it in(hopfully there's something can be done BESIDES using special tool)
#3 to know what to use around the outside as I'm installing it(loctite, gasketmaker,?, etc?)
#4 to know how far to tap it in
#5 to know what lube to put on the seal(side that touches crank pulley ..I'm assuming motor oil)

Thanks and please

20160228_172042.jpg

Last edited:

Dig Race

Established Member
Well first no lock tite, make sure it's really clean and tap it in, I've always used a block of wood and a hammer, it should have a little lip and it will only go so far in, then lube with oil. I've always done them like this and never had a problem.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Yes but I know that people use loctite, or RTV, etc but is it the great engine builders that use it ,,,or the guy that just thinks he is?
Also there's no lip, you can drive this baby right thru, ,,,or not far enough.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Hey guys. I tap my front crank/timing seal in until it's flush with the outside of the timing cover. I've always done this ,with everything. Well the timing cover is twice as thick (in the area where the seal goes)and in my googling I read where someone was telling another to drive it in further.
So, how far are we suppose to drive it in? (This is a REALLY stupid question I know but it's going in the car tomorrow just want to know for sure)

Users who are viewing this thread