promotion 3650

anex01

Established Member
HAS ANYONE TRIED THE BUILT 3650 FROM PROMOTION,AND IF SO CAN U GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON IF THIS IS A GOOD TRANNY TO GO WITH.I HAVE A 01 COBRA WITH BUILT MOTOR AND A V-2 SQ.LOOKING FOR A TRANNY TO HANDLE AROUND 625RWHP.MY BUDGET FOR A NEW ONE IS AROUND $2000.ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MOST HELPFUL.... :idea:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
1st, QUIT YELLING!

2nd Some have the Pro-motion T45 and love it. I can't see why the 3650 wouldn't be as good.

To put it bluntly, If I were replacing a Cobra tranny it would be a pro-motion.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Naz just ran high 9's on n2o with one. Not sure how much power his turbo was packing, but it was a big one.

cobraracer46

Banned
.ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MOST HELPFUL.... :idea:

Upgrading a T45 or a 3650 is a waste of money. A t56 is the way to go since it has a removable bellhousing that makes installation on a long tube equipped Cobra a breeze, plus a T56 handle more power and provide better gear spacing than a T45 3650 trans set up.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Upgrading a T45 or a 3650 is a waste of money. A t56 is the way to go since it has a removable bellhousing that makes installation on a long tube equipped Cobra a breeze, plus a T56 handle more power and provide better gear spacing than a T45 3650 trans set up.

Your posts just get dumber and dumber dont they.. You're leaving out that the built T45 or 3650 is cheaper, you can use your same driveshaft/yoke, the tall first gear in the T56 is worthless unless you're making solid power, AND the built T45/3650 will handle more power. It really must suck...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

You know what they say about opinions?

anex01

Established Member
thanks for all the info i did a search on Nazman and found alot of good info.i think with my budget in mind the pmp 3650 is the best route to go.thats why this forum rocks!!!!:rockon:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member

You know, I hate to do this because everyone always jumps on your case, but I disagree with you.

How can a T56 handle more power than a ProMotion built T45 or 3650 (which, btw, handle 750hp and an assload of torque with ease)????? A stock T56 is only rated at 450tq. Your gear spacing thought is bunk as well; that all depends on the power to weight ratio of the specific car and the rear end gear ratio. All of those play into which setup will give you the best acceleration possibilities.

I will give you that the removable bellhousing is an advantage, but the added weight of a 6 speed over a 5 speed is a disadvantage. And I have yet to drive a 6 speed that I could bang gears in as well as I can with a T45.

cobraracer46

Banned
You know, I hate to do this because everyone always jumps on your case, but I disagree with you.

How can a T56 handle more power than a ProMotion built T45 or 3650 (which, btw, handle 750hp and an assload of torque with ease)????? A stock T56 is only rated at 450tq. Your gear spacing thought is bunk as well; that all depends on the power to weight ratio of the specific car and the rear end gear ratio. All of those play into which setup will give you the best acceleration possibilities.

I will give you that the removable bellhousing is an advantage, but the added weight of a 6 speed over a 5 speed is a disadvantage. And I have yet to drive a 6 speed that I could bang gears in as well as I can with a T45.

First off the Viper T56 that I installed in my Cobra has a 650 TQ rating. Furthermore, Tremec Transmision, ( The company that builds the T45- t3650 units) reports that not one single aftermarket Viper T56 has sufferd a mechanical breakdown so I think it is safe to say a T56 set up is bullit proof. Secondly, In addition to the rock solid reliability, you run a really low rear end gear set up like a 4:30 that gives you the good acceleration with out the sky high freeway cruise rpms.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
not with the viper spec. It' s 1st and 2nd are so high that my 4.30s feel like the stock 3.27s. I like having 6th, but a built promotion T-45 might have been better. I miss gears alot with the T-56, when downshifting, it's just harder to find the right gear.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
First off the Viper T56 that I installed in my Cobra has a 650 TQ rating. Furthermore, Tremec Transmision, ( The company that builds the T45- t3650 units) reports that not one single aftermarket Viper T56 has sufferd a mechanical breakdown so I think it is safe to say a T56 set up is bullit proof. Secondly, In addition to the rock solid reliability, you run a really low rear end gear set up like a 4:30 that gives you the good acceleration with out the sky high freeway cruise rpms.

why are you comparing a viper spec transmission to a built 5 speed. #1 the transmission ALONE for a viper spec is like $2500 and then another 1500 for parts to make it work.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I like the gear ratio's in a T45 much more than that of the T56. As said earlier, even running 4.30's or 4.56's in a T56 still brings the first gear to about the equivolent of 3.27 or 3.55 car with a T45.

And as for sky high free way cruising, how is 2600-3000 rpm's (depending on speed, 65-75 or so) sky high? I actually liked having the rpm's bumped up while cruising, I no longer have to downshift if I want to pass someone.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member

Did you mention Viper Spec T56 or aftermarket T56 anywhere in your first post? No, you didn't. Had you stated that, then I never would have posted a reply.

On top of that, you are suggesting to spend three times as much to get a transmission that will take three times as much work to install (the first time around (yoke,driveshaft, rear gear to offset the 1-2 - later installs are easier due to the bellhousing).

There may be a slight advantage to the T56 for fuel mileage on the highway, but not if the person opts to go with a 4.30 or numerically higher gear in order to offset the higher 1-2 gear sets.

Here's another thought on why the Viper Spec and ProMotion trannies last so well.... it is possible that by the time someone has a car with enough torque to actually break a tranny rated at 500+, they have also spent enough money and time to understand how to treat one so it will last. Or the car stays parked in the garage until every third Sunday.

Opinions may vary.....

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

In your opinion, but in many others going with a heavy T56 is not the right choice...especially when the benefits of doing a swap are few.

As stated earlier, PM Nazman and ask him, 9.88 in the 1/4 and 6k launches without failing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread