• 5.4 2V Twin Turbo

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 5.4 4V Twin Turbo

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Guys, I am about to begin putting together an initial parts list for my 2000 Mustang project.
The car is a 2000 v6 I have owned for about 3 years. It has had a 96 Cobra engine in it for most of the time I have owned it, and a wiring issue caused it to be parked some time ago.
Since it is the only Mustang I own now, I am going to start building it and hope to finish it sometime in the next 2 years.

I am going to turbocharge it, but I can't decide on the powerplant.
The options are as follows:
4.6 4v Twin Turbo
5.4 2v Twin Turbo
5.4 4v Twin Turbo

I am going to build the car to be a VERY fast street car that I could drive an hour or two on I80 to the dyno, cruises, etc....
It will retain a full interior and stereo, but nothing too crazy.
Also, the car is going to have a MANUAL trans and a return fuel system.

I am going to run this on 91 and 93 octane, NOTHING MORE.

Any suggestions, ideas?

Last edited:

SVTTuckF100

M&M Custom Finishes
Established Member
Suggestion...

you have my shop do the paint and body! haha, hopefully I'll get some good pics of the 70 Mach we just did in Jet Black.

I'd go for the 4.6L twin, if you end up needing/wanting a Ford 9" rear, i have a couple laying around that you may be able to pick up cheap-ish.

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Suggestion...

you have my shop do the paint and body! haha, hopefully I'll get some good pics of the 70 Mach we just did in Jet Black.

I'd go for the 4.6L twin, if you end up needing/wanting a Ford 9" rear, i have a couple laying around that you may be able to pick up cheap-ish.

Well, I am actually not too bad at painting. I will probably just repaint it the original color, black.
I will probably just use the 8.8 with 31 spline axles and an Eaton for a while because I don't plan on using this as a drag only car.

zeus201

Established Member
Build an awesome 3.8 lol.

I'd go with a stroked 4.6 4v w/a pretty beefy cams and a pair of 62's or so. It'd be cool if you build something with a pretty lofty rpm's...something in the 7500.

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Build an awesome 3.8 lol.

I'd go with a stroked 4.6 4v w/a pretty beefy cams and a pair of 62's or so. It'd be cool if you build something with a pretty lofty rpm's...something in the 7500.

I don't really want to stroke with the power I am looking to make. RPM's don't really excite me like they used to :shrug:

edit: the v6 has been gone for a long ass time haha...

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
When I go turbo Iam just gonna one turbo, ill have room plus u can make power. U gonna go with auto or manual?

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
When I go turbo Iam just gonna one turbo, ill have room plus u can make power. U gonna go with auto or manual?

I am gonna use a T56 or TKO manual. I can shift like a madman :rockon:

The trouble I have been having is that 2 smaller turbos seem to be much cheaper than one single. :shrug:

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
its a cobra, i would stick with 4v

It was not originally a 4V. It currently does have a 4V engine though. I am thinking about running the 4.6 4V though using a set of navi heads and a Mach intake manifold. Would have liked to use the edelbrock with 2V heads or a sullivan, but it is a little pricey...

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Man, Don't do a 5.4 DOHC TT lol, I've been planning that as my project car this summer and Blown02 I see is doing it as well! Do what you want though lol, 5.4's aren't what you would expect to be in a mustang.

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Man, Don't do a 5.4 DOHC TT lol, I've been planning that as my project car this summer and Blown02 I see is doing it as well! Do what you want though lol, 5.4's aren't what you would expect to be in a mustang.

I might actually do the 4.6 4V, because I found a hell of a deal on a set of remanufactured heads and an intake manifold from a Mach1. Those would go nicely on my Teksid block...

98cobra4.6

Blow me away.....
Established Member
4.6 ftl, go with a 460 and punch it out to 557, put a set of blue thunder heads or John kaase super cobra jet heads , with aggressive cam and you will be wasting anything on the streets.

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
4.6 ftl, go with a 460 and punch it out to 557, put a set of blue thunder heads or John kaase super cobra jet heads , with aggressive cam and you will be wasting anything on the streets.

I don't really want to do anything but a modular, although a 408 stroker sounded good a while back. I already have a Teksid 4.6, so it may be the most economical route.

Also, I still want to keep decent mileage when out of boost. I don't think it is too much to ask for ~20 mpg highway when driving miss daisy...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread