Procharger rebuild cost?

jetmech

Established Member
Anyone have any idea how much an F1-A rebuild costs? any recent experiance with this anyone? How many miles before rebuild is nessasary?

procharged 99

Established Member
Just got my d1sc rebuilt it was leaking when I bought it. it cost me 570 to get rebuilt from procharger one new bearing all new seals and a new serial number tag .it was bought in 2006 and never service
since new. So i guess they can last a long time

01yellercobra

Established Member
It depends on what needs to be replaced. I had about 30K on my D1 before the seals started leaking.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
am I incorrect in saying that most prochargers leak, and that you can put the seals in yourself? I know I replaced the main seal when i did the reclocking of my oil slinger in my F1a. if your impellar or bearings are bad then yeah rebuild but are ya'll sayin 600+bux for seals? can't be...

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
I had some minor shaft play in my F1a, but no leak.
Procharger rebuilt the whole thing for just under $500. That was all new seals for me.

Here is the breakdown:
Repair of F1A - REV. GEN II PR1.0$380.00
PC000C-031 / SC "D" FRONT OIL SEAL1.0$0.00
PC000C-025 / TRELLEBORG TEFLON SEAL - "SC"1.0$0.00
PCB23C-001 / 203 BEARING - A/C1.0$0.00
CS04CI-12SS / 1/4-20 X 3/4" SS SHCS-BUTTON2.0$0.00
CS04CI-14SS / 1/4-20 X 7/8" SS SHCS3.0$0.00
PCT01C-011 / 2" BEARING COVER LABEL1.0$0.00
CS03CI-24SS / 10-24 X 1-1/2" SS SHCS (FR COVER)8.0$0.00
PC000C-122 / 1/8" SC THREADED DOWEL (BACK-PLATE)3.0$0.00
CS04CI-8SS / 1/4-20 X 1/2" SS SHCS (COMPRESSOR)7.0$0.00
PC000C-195 / 23.75" O RING - "SC" SERIES1.0$0.00
ME001A-004 / SC OIL BOTTLE ( 4 OZ-FILLED )1.0$0.00
ME010I-001 / ATI FOAM ENC- 9" UNIVERSAL1.0$15.00
FREIGHT / FREIGHT CHARGE1.0$38.00

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
am I incorrect in saying that most prochargers leak, and that you can put the seals in yourself? I know I replaced the main seal when i did the reclocking of my oil slinger in my F1a. if your impellar or bearings are bad then yeah rebuild but are ya'll sayin 600+bux for seals? can't be...

Nope..they all seem to leak eventually....Mine is leaking now....

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I just rebuilt my Vortech V1. Do your homework on the internet for the proper bearings and seals (and instructions). They are very simple, very delicate too. I rebuild manual transmissions, so I kept a eye out on the cases for any kind or scoring or chattering of the races, etc. I also have a press, some guys "hammer" these things apart !

I went to local bearing distributor and got the proper high speed thrust bearings rated for 67,000 rpm (not cheap), along with input bearings and all seals.

jetmech

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, I think I might rebuild it myself. If Procharger rebuilds it will they warranty it?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm not sure I'd tackle an F1A myself. Don't they have a double bearing set up? As much as it sucks it might be worth sending it to Procharger so you know it's done right. I remember reading somewhere some of their bigger blowers are put together in clean rooms.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I don't know of any other procharger or Vortech that doesn't have 2 sets (4) bearings. Doesn't matter S trim or YSI, keeping things clean is just plain common sense, given the high RPM's and tight clearance.

I believe the company's make more money off rebuilds then the chargers themselvs. Really, there's nothing to them. I understand those of you who are apprehensive about doing it, but seriously ... If you are fairly well mechanically inclined, have common sense, and have a press ... Go for it. I rebuild all Tremecs, Borg Warners, Muncies, etc ... To me a centrifugal blower is extremely simple. Consists of: volute, impeller, 2 seals, 4 bearings, o-ring or 2 (depending on application), 2 gears (which are also input and output shaft), a washer or 2, and 2 case halves ... That's it.

Work slow, clean, and pay attention how things are oriented, AND do your homework on the proper thrust bearings (available on Internet or a real bearing store). Really not difficult.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
When I said the double bearing set up I was referring to the bearing inside a bearing. Not one on either side of the shaft. I know all the superchargers have bearings supporting each side of the shaft. And Prochargers have 6 bearings. Two more for the oil slinger.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Mine is leaking but sounds fine and works fine it has like 4k miles on it since rebuild?

Is it leaking from the seal behind the pulley? That one is easy to replace. And you can get the seal from a parts store like Napa. If Procharger did the rebuild they might have some kind of warranty on it.

Users who are viewing this thread