Procharger Questions: Who to Install and Reliabilty

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Hey there people!

I finally had some things go my way so I can free up about $12K for the GT if I want!:banana:

So, I was thinking bigger wheels/tires, Aluminum DS, Twin-Disc Clutch, LT's and a PROCHARGER!

I live about 50 miles NW of Gainesville, Fl. and have spoken with Hurricane Performance in Jacksonville. They have priced out the kit and install. Tony Gonyon next to Hurricane was/is going to tune it. They seem to know what they're doing and I have seen several 5.0's that Hurricane has done. I can't see going to anybody else, but I'm open to opinions/suggestions.

I plan on running around 550rwhp on the street. I drive 70 miles, 5 days a week for work. I have been told that this is a reliable setup and safe to have as a DD.

Some people have told me to just buy a toy, a GT500, etc. but I really wanted to have a car built just for ME. I also can't park it. I can't help but to drive it. That being said, if supercharging my 5.0 would make it a weekend/toy car, I don't want to do it.

Thank you in advance for any input!

BV600

Established Member
My procharger was pretty reliable and was on a soft tune. Im pretty sure I was in the 600-650 range, revved it to 7500 and beat the crap out of it on the autobahn. Sold it after 6 months to get an auto. The new owner ran it to 200mph, drove it hard on the nurburgring and beat it harder than me....The engine let go on him when he started messing with the timing on his own and put stock plugs back in it.
What is the price they are offering installed. I got my Tuner stage 2 kit with upgraded D1SC for 4700 shipped and installed it myself.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Too bad you weren't closer(Orlando). I'd help you install it just for good times. I love working on these cars. If you could be taught to install or did the install yourself, it makes crap a lot easier to diagnose if something went wrong.

BV600

Established Member
Install is really easy imo. OP knock it all out yourself in your garage do an email tune with datalogging and save thousands...

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Damn, I wish I was closer too!

I used to work on my 1990 SHO all the time and am pretty mechanically inclined. I could probably do it............might be a lot of fun!:banana:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Op, Paxton is cheaper, with a bigger head unit, bigger IC, and factory intake location. Also has the helical cut gears without having to choose them as an option(makes it even cheaper). Talk to Beefcake or JPC, they will hook you up and trust me. I know people with BOTH Prochargers and Paxtons. The Paxton is faster EVERY SINGLE TIME at the same or less boost.

For example:

2012 premium GT M6, stock wheels, daily driver tune.

VS
2012 Base GT M6, procharger stage 2, D1sc upgrade, 10PSI, race gas(kill mode) tune, Big and littles.

45-120 ish the paxton car pulled 2 lengths every race.

I'm not saying the procharger is bad, I'm just saying the Paxton if FAR better.

bigriff85

Established Member
on procharger's website they have lamotta performance in longwood, fl listed as their top installation shop in the southeast. they put my procharger on...and my paxton and 20 other power adders lol.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
The belt isn't that difficult to change out and can be done in a hr with help. I would recommend another set of hands because getting the idler/spacer/bolt back in between the mounting plates can be a bitch for one person.

Zevox

Established Member
There was a blue '13/'14 at the track in Green Cove last Sunday who had a pro charger put on by Hurricane and tuned by Tony. His car went into limp mode second run for some reason, but Tony was at the track and they got it worked out. The guy who owns/was driving the car told me it has like 585hp.

My buddy with a '95 procharged had Hurricane put in some injectors and Tony tune it. Car runs like a champ on what Tony calls a safe tune. I'd hate to see a more serious tune in that car... I'm pretty sure I'm going to let Hurricane do my suspension unless some one quotes me a way lower install price.

Edit-
bigriff85 mentioned LaMotta Performance. I hear they're kind of the best but are slightly higher to use. I'm not don't want to name who, in case they don't openly support them, but I got a very high recommendation to use LaMotta to install my suspension.

Last edited:

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
I just did a belt last night on my paxton. it was NOT fun for one person.

My buddies keep saying whenever i open my hood "so that kenne bell will mount right here...".

bigriff85

Established Member
Edit-
Some one mentioned LaMotta Performance. I hear they're kind of the best but are slightly higher to use. I'm not going to name names in case they don't openly support them, but I got a very high recommendation to use LaMotta to install my suspension.

it was me...and i'm confused by that comment. lol :shrug: anyways, jake at LaMotta is the man to talk to in central florida!

Zevox

Established Member
it was me...and i'm confused by that comment. lol :shrug: anyways, jake at LaMotta is the man to talk to in central florida!

Yeah posting on my phone for the full website is a PAIN while driving a tractor, lol...

I didn't say your name earlier in the thread because I didn't look. But what I meant by who referred me was a vendor and I'm not sure if they come out and say they recommend LaMotta and I didn't want to say it for them and cause trouble or anything. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread