Procharger Bypass valve swap..

01SilverGt

Established Member

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont see why it wouldnt work. The stock bypass is pretty small and relatively crappy it seems

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the one you just linked to that says its for a magnacharger is whats currently on your setup? I dont even see how thats possible.

pics?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ok, that makes more sense!

the stock valve just has the vacuum canister to operate the butterfly off to the side while the aftermarket replacement has it all built into one unit. Looks like the stock piece has the butterfly like a throttle body has but the after market piece uses a vacuum actuated piston...should be good to go

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
The plastic version of what you bought is usually what comes with the vortech kits. If the connections are that much smaller it seems like you would need to buy reducers to get it to work with the stock openings of the procharger pipes. I'm not real sure this is much of an upgrade over the pro charger unit...why did you decide on this one?

02blownGT

Established Member
It will work with the right sized hoses/reducers,however i dont know if this will vent as well as the black proflow you are replacing. Vortech minrace would have been my choice if you dont need a big red/mondo valve.

01SilverGt

Established Member
I heard alot of talk about the proflow surge valve having issues. looks completly different from the other bypass valves. So is the proflow valve superior to the bosch one I bought? The spring in the bosch one is alot stiffer.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I've never seen any comparisons done with these two valves. I would think that the procharger unit would outflow the bosch unit just due to the size of the inlet/outlet.

The procharger unit is known for leaking a little boost because of the butterfly not sealing fully when closed. Also the diaphram in this unit tends to break down over time.

I would have gone with the vortech mini race or the procharger big red....especially since you have a D1. If you ever up the boost your going to need something that flows more. You can always run dual bosch units to achieve extra flow too.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I heard alot of talk about the proflow surge valve having issues. looks completly different from the other bypass valves. So is the proflow valve superior to the bosch one I bought? The spring in the bosch one is alot stiffer.

SHOW me ALL these links about the Black Pro-Charger Pro Flow failing please?
The only one I've heard is a member on here who had an old model with a diaphram issue:shrug: OP what's wrong with yours?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The procharger unit is known for leaking a little boost because of the butterfly not sealing fully when closed. Also the diaphram in this unit tends to break down over time.
Let me clarify a couple things before this turns into a Pro-Flo bash session!
The butterfly valve was Specifically designed this way so it would have Zero chances of binding or sticking and the amount of Boost leakage is slim to none, take that from someone that has one not from what you read!
And the diaphram issues have been addressed a couple years ago and a revision was produced, the new models are Fine and the price is fair for what you get!! Plus the sound Fricken Awesome venting!

svtcobra462.jpg

Last edited:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Let me clarify a couple things before this turns into a Pro-Flo bash session!
The butterfly valve was Specifically designed this way so it would have Zero chances of binding or sticking and the amount of Boost leakage is slim to none, take that from someone that has one not from what you read!
And the diaphram issues have been addressed a couple years ago and a revision was produced, the new models are Fine and the price is fair for what you get!! Plus the sound Fricken Awesome venting!

svtcobra462.jpg

Yeah, I didn't want to turn it into a proflow bash session either! I myself run the proflow. I purchased mine new about 1.5 years ago. I only have about 2k miles on it but it's working fine without any issues. I'm also only running about 6-7 pounds on the street through my P1. I plan to run about 12-14 pounds when I upgrade my bottom end here soon at which point I'm upgrading to the mini race.

I actually didn't know they revamped their design and that the diaphrams couldn't be replaced in the older units.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm putting 13 lbs through mine with no issues and I plan on talking it to about 16, I don't see any need in replacing it with the Vortech but to each his own? Me and my partners at the shop were actually surprised we got 13 psi with a 3.1 Intercooled, I was expecting just over 10 so obviously the Pro-Flo is working just fine, no leakage there!

Last edited:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I got my mini race valve used for a good price. I'm also planning to vent to the atmosphere and didn't want the extra proflo hose. I also don't want to chance compressor surge due to the valve not venting enough. Sounds like it's working well for you though! :beer:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I got my mini race valve used for a good price. I'm also planning to vent to the atmosphere and didn't want the extra proflo hose. I also don't want to chance compressor surge due to the valve not venting enough. Sounds like it's working well for you though! :beer:
Gotcha I take it yours is mounted similar to the crappy Bosch one on the Vortech kits? It's recirculated and connected with all those hose fittings on the front passenger side of the car? I agree that setup isn't the Best, we welded an aluminum adapter piece of tubing to the piping and connected the BPV with a piece of black hose and 2 clamps! (you can kind of see it in the above pic)

Last edited:

Erich

Established Member
My D1SC setup came with a proflow. It is not adequate for that blower at 20 psi . Compressor surge all over the place. Replaced it with a vortech minirace bypass and all was well.
That being said, the Proflow is fine for the P1SC and P600B. Ran one on there for 10 years without issue. The amount of air that leaks is negligable compared to the total. Better than stuck by far. Simple efficient design.
Erich

Users who are viewing this thread