Procharged 97 cobra 1/4 mile

coltoncaskey12

Established Member
What’s up guys. Have a 97 cobra with pro charger pushing 8lbs, bbk long tubes, high flow catted x pipe, bassani cat back making 401/367(i know, low numbers, but the motor is high miles and I want to keep it conservative). I’m really wanting to try and take this car into the 11’s next year. My plans are as follows: 10lbs of boost, imrc delete, catch can, 4.10, bmr lower/upper control arms, subframe connectors, pan hard bar, and an sve drag set up. Anything else you guys recommend doing or adding to the car?? Also share with me your set ups and 1/4 times!!

coltoncaskey12

Established Member
Start saving for a new motor if it’s stock high mileage. That’s the best advice I can give you.
I’m honestly just trying to have the most fun I can with it as is. Rn building the motor will be nearly impossible with the job I’m working/ going to nursing school. After I graduate building the motor or buying a terminator will be quite easy with the money I’ll be making then. Just trying to have the most fun I can with it now. Car has been boosted nearly its entire life so I hope it still has some life left in it. My tuner has done a terrific job.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I’m honestly just trying to have the most fun I can with it as is. Rn building the motor will be nearly impossible with the job I’m working/ going to nursing school. After I graduate building the motor or buying a terminator will be quite easy with the money I’ll be making then. Just trying to have the most fun I can with it now. Car has been boosted nearly its entire life so I hope it still has some life left in it. My tuner has done a terrific job.
If that's the case, don't add more boost. Keep it exactly how it is unless it's suspension.. Make sure the tune is good at the current psi level and focus on your driving skills. I'll say it again.. DO NOT ADD MORE BOOST. You're in school, working, etc.. Focus on that.. don't blow up the car..

coltoncaskey12

Established Member
Would the jump to 10psi really be the factor of blowing it? That’s only gonna be what 20hp? And I’m not saying that sarcastically, that’s a genuine question. Dynoing at 401/367 vs say 425/385, I just thought if it was gonna go at some point that 20 some hp push wouldnt be it, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I recommend following @98 Saleen Cobra's advice. Look, you admitted that you're not in a position right now to spend money on engine repairs. Don't risk breakage. What's the mileage on the motor?

Just continue to have fun with the existing motor mods, and maybe just do the imrc delete, catch can, bmr lower/upper control arms, subframe connectors, and (maybe) the SVE drag set up. JMO.

coltoncaskey12

Established Member
I recommend following @98 Saleen Cobra's advice. Look, you admitted that you're not in a position right now to spend money on engine repairs. Don't risk breakage. What's the mileage on the motor?

Just continue to have fun with the existing motor mods, and maybe just do the imrc delete, catch can, bmr lower/upper control arms, subframe connectors, and (maybe) the SVE drag set up. JMO.
About 130k miles. And I appreciate yours and @98 Saleen Cobra input.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It’s not gonna be 20rwhp. You’re putting a blower further in it’s efficiency range. Trust me bud I’ve been doing this a stupid long time. Pulleying down and putting the blower in the blower rpm range that it wants to be is more like 30-40rwhp per psi. Now when you get out of the efficiency range that’s when the blower sees less rwhp per lbs of boost. Or when you’re under spinning it as well.
Don’t get fixated on psi = x amount of power. It’s simply not true.

you can correct the power with dropping timing which is usually ok. But you still have X amount of CFM on a shitty piston and shit rotating assembly.

So I’ll tell you again. Don’t add power unless you’re ready to build the motor

coltoncaskey12

Established Member
It’s not gonna be 20rwhp. You’re putting a blower further in it’s efficiency range. Trust me bud I’ve been doing this a stupid long time. Pulleying down and putting the blower in the blower rpm range that it wants to be is more like 30-40rwhp per psi. Now when you get out of the efficiency range that’s when the blower sees less rwhp per lbs of boost. Or when you’re under spinning it as well.
Don’t get fixated on psi = x amount of power. It’s simply not true.

you can correct the power with dropping timing which is usually ok. But you still have X amount of CFM on a shitty piston and shit rotating assembly.

So I’ll tell you again. Don’t add power unless you’re ready to build the motor
That’s something I didn’t know. Thanks for your help/advice, I’ll just skip the pulley down and do the suspension and tire. Still fairly confident with some practice/weight reduction I can hit high 11’s with 8psi.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That’s something I didn’t know. Thanks for your help/advice, I’ll just skip the pulley down and do the suspension and tire. Still fairly confident with some practice/weight reduction I can hit high 11’s with 8psi.
Seat time is way more valuable then adding power.. and it's not very expensive lol

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Keep it at the 400 mark and you'll stay a whole lot safer with that setup.

Concentrate on your launch and technique before throwing more power at it. Daniel son

coltoncaskey12

Established Member
Keep it at the 400 mark and you'll stay a whole lot safer with that setup.

Concentrate on your launch and technique before throwing more power at it. Daniel son
Gotcha. Probably just go with the suspension, gear, and tire set up I planned on. If I’m knocking on 11’s with that, then I may go up to 10 but will Deff perfect my driving at 8 first. Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread