Problems with Your GT 500

barstoolman

Established Member
Besides the clutch drag/flywheel/synchros covered under the current TSB, what other annoying or nagging problems have you experienced with your '07-'09 Shelby Gt 500??? I'm still waiting for all my synchros to arrive before Ford does all the work covered under the TSB but I also have issues with alot of ringing and rattling noises coming thru the a/c vents from somewhere else in the car (could be the synchros spinning). I also have alot of creaking underneath the car when I come to a full stop or turn. Any of you have any of these symptons. Please let me know of any other problems experienced.

Thanks

09Snake

Established Member
I have a 2009 and there are a few things about it that bother me. The "whirring" of the transmisson/clutch while in in neutral, and it creaks all over like a 1984 trans am i once had when i go over a few bumps. I have the shaker 1000 but i can't stand to turn it up too loud becuase of the pieces of the body that vibrate and buzz.

I love the car though and i'm having a blast, 800 miles on it.

6-Speed

Established Member
My differential makes a whirling/growling sound while making slow tight turns like into a parking space. Typically, the noise is more evident when hot. There is a TSB (08-5-10) for the 05-07 Mustang GT, but none specific to the GT500, which has carbon fiber clutch-packs in the Traction-Loc limited-slip differential. My dealer tried adding the friction modifier, but the noise continues. IMO it's more of a nuisance than anything else. Mine has some creaks as well from the A-Arm pillar and around the passenger's side door handle. Had the dealer fix one creak coming from the driver's side seat belt retraction mechanism that was driving me nuts.

Other than that, no problems on my 2007 after 3400 miles.

GT50008

Established Member
Upon the direction from Ford, my dealer was to forego the friction modifier entirely. Ford sent a completely new axle from disk brake to disk brake. Did not have time to paint the new axle, though.

mullens

Established Member
My differential makes a whirling/growling sound while making slow tight turns like into a parking space. Typically, the noise is more evident when hot. There is a TSB (08-5-10) for the 05-07 Mustang GT, but none specific to the GT500, which has carbon fiber clutch-packs in the Traction-Loc limited-slip differential. My dealer tried adding the friction modifier, but the noise continues. IMO it's more of a nuisance than anything else. Mine has some creaks as well from the A-Arm pillar and around the passenger's side door handle. Had the dealer fix one creak coming from the driver's side seat belt retraction mechanism that was driving me nuts.

Other than that, no problems on my 2007 after 3400 miles.

I have the exact same issue with the rear end. I brought it in and the service guy said it could be a carrier bearing and that he's replaced a few of them in GT500's. He didn't replace it because he said the noise is not too bad and he doesn't want to tear the diff apart unless it gets bad. Like you said it's nothing that will put the car out of service, just an annoyance right now. You can bet if it's still there at warranty's end I'll be taking it in again. Ditto on the buzzing doors when the bass is turned up.

On another subject, I have an intermittent humming noise when I'm on the freeway at 70+. It's not there at low speed or all the time on the freeway so I think it's just the tires. If it was the diff I'm sure it would be there all the time. I've just never had that before.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
On another subject, I have an intermittent humming noise when I'm on the freeway at 70+. It's not there at low speed or all the time on the freeway so I think it's just the tires. If it was the diff I'm sure it would be there all the time. I've just never had that before.
Do you have the Ford Racing shifter handle/ball? After installing it on my car, I realized that it transmits a high-pitched hum at certain RPMs - around 1800 - 2000 RPMs. It's due to the metal-to-metal attachment to the shifter stub.

mullens

Established Member
Do you have the Ford Racing shifter handle/ball? After installing it on my car, I realized that it transmits a high-pitched hum at certain RPMs - around 1800 - 2000 RPMs. It's due to the metal-to-metal attachment to the shifter stub.
No..stock shifter. This isn't coming from the engine...it seems to increase as the MPH goes up, not RPMs. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from, just a generalized hum. It really sounds like my Powerstroke did when I put on the 35's, but it's not there all the time. Strange. I've been in cars with bad diff's, but that's more of a howl. I'm reluctant to take it in to service for the issue, because I don't want those knuckleheads screaming down the freeway in my ride. They probably won't know what I'm talking about anyway.

I took my friend who also owns a GT500 for a ride. He said it just sounds like tires. It's just a noisy car, but if I wanted quiet I would have bought a Cadillac.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Best way to sum it up.

It is a Mustang, no matter how much money or how much hp it makes, it still is a Ford Mustang.

With that said, its still the best Mustang I have owned

barstoolman

Established Member

I do and have that same high-pitched humming as well

Win

Established Member
Slight vibration in E-brake lever at 1400 rpm after clutch is completely released only when starting off slowly from a stop. Vibratrion noise in the dash on rough roads. Other than that, no issues in 6k miles on my 08 coupe.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
I got the flex dent on my passenger side (right under the rear quarter window) at about 15K for no reason. Looks like a nasty door ding up high on the rear quarter.
Looks like sh!t. :(
Just broke off my front right drivers seat bolt head. Not sure how or why, it just broke. Must be all my gobs of torque. ha ha

Other than that shes holding up well.

69b302

Established Member
Alternator went bad at 9k miles. Dealer covered under warranty without question(despite lots of mods, too many to de-mod for dealer work).

500 SNKE

500 Addict
Established Member
I got the flex dent on my passenger side (right under the rear quarter window) at about 15K for no reason. Looks like a nasty door ding up high on the rear quarter.
Looks like sh!t. :(

What's with this flex dent?
I have this same dent from almost new. I though it happened when a friend leaned over it and banged it with a medallion around her neck.
It is very hard to see. It has to be in the right light at the correct angle.

Is this common?

chuckstang

Established Member
This might seem odd but never felt this before in any other Mustang I have owned but this car is far faster so, well anyway.

When you are under anything more than half throttle, I notice what I would call tq steer, meaning it is very difficult to turn the wheel and direction under throttle like lane changing under throttle, the car is very difficult to move. (only thing I can think of i that and I notic it as well, the front end really moves up and transfers weight to the rea well but I think that reaction makes the front tougher to steer)

Sounds crazy but its more just tough to explain.

Lastly, does every one else find it impossible to keep the car going straight with the tires spinning? Im shocked because of how many suspension mods I have I would have thought it could hold a straight line but if your moving already in 1st or 2nd and go wot and spin the tires, it is just impossible to keep it pointing straight. Just the natue of the beast or ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread