Problems with stock TB and Billetflow plenum. 4500rpm idle!!??!!

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
Installed my Billetflow S/C Plenum today. Thought I would go ahead and do it while I wait for my new throttle body and idler set. Finished up and started the car and my idle is now at 4500rpm. I put everything on right and made sure not to block off any passage ways on the stock throttle body with gasket maker when I put it all back together.

Any ideas??

Last edited:

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
After messing with if for a minute I think i just need a retune from Rick. I think the computer needs to know what to do with all the extra air.

Battery died. Guess its time for a red top

cobracide

Established Member
Your iac cannot compensate that much, you need to turn out the TB idle screw and close the TB more. It has nothing to do with the tune.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
So you put a stock throttle body on with a Billet Flow plenum?

Will this even work at all? Someone will chime in I'm sure but typically if you run a certain brand throttle body you have to run the same brand plenum.

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
I figured nothing would change. What changed except the amount of air that can move from the plenum to the s/c? With the stock throttle body the air flow is still restricted to what it was before.

I adjusted the screw in to close the tb but nothing changed. It is still idiling at 4500 then after about 10sec it drops back down to 3500rpm. When I got my tune from Amazon my idle did that except it was from 1800 to 800rpm.

I'm about to put the stock plenum back on unless anyone has something else for me to try.

Now I'm thinking the stock TB might be blocking the smaller slit in the BF plenum for the EGR. Could that be causing this??

Last edited:

Evil-Inside

Established Member
I had a similiar problem when I put on an accufab plenum with the stock throttle body. The problem is that the hole in the back of the throttle body that mates up to the hole in the plenum (where it goes into the idle air control) is of a different shape and size so that is what is causing the problem. Your plenum is probably set up for a monoblade throttle body not the stocker. Replace your plenum back to stock with the stock throttle body and it will solve your problem or put a monoblade throttle body on it :)

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I had a similiar problem when I put on an accufab plenum with the stock throttle body. The problem is that the hole in the back of the throttle body that mates up to the hole in the plenum (where it goes into the idle air control) is of a different shape and size so that is what is causing the problem. Your plenum is probably set up for a monoblade throttle body not the stocker. Replace your plenum back to stock with the stock throttle body and it will solve your problem or put a monoblade throttle body on it :)
This.

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
yup, i wrote my last post and sat here for a min. then ran downstairs and took it all apart and sure enough they don't line up. thought it might be to good to be true. so i guess i do have to wait for my new BF TB to be ordered. its all back together and running like a champ again. thx guys

Evil-Inside

Established Member
for Stalker27s' question, I assume you mean the bottom nut on the plenum, I use a deep socket and and and extension, 1/4 inch drive with a knuckle joint.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

This is exactly what I meant lol.:beer:

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
Off topic but how in the world do you get that nut off of the plenum thats close to the firewall??

I just used a 13mm craftsman deep well socket on a 3/8 drive craftsman rachet. I moved the harness out of the way with all the vacum lines and was able to get it on the nut enough to brake tq and then took it off with my fingers.

I am a pro at it now, i removed the plenum from the intake and the s/c in about 2 min yesterday. that is with the tb and egr still connected though.

Users who are viewing this thread