Problems after tune

SVT DAN

Established Member
Well I thought it was done. I thought I could drive today. I programmed my x3 from an email tune from jpc. Installed the tune to my computer. Went to start it up and it did-ish. I went from stock to jlt CAI high boost, 2.93 upper and 4# lower, posi race port. 60's and it is barley running. Motor is shaking horrendously. Weird burning smell from behind blower/motor. I'm uploading a video now to YouTube and will add to thread once done. Also when my clutch peddle isn't pushed down there is a fudged up knocking sound. Once I press in the pedal the sound goes away. Idk what's going on but I feel like maybe I botched the install.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Well I thought it was done. I thought I could drive today. I programmed my x3 from an email tune from jpc. Installed the tune to my computer. Went to start it up and it did-ish. I went from stock to jlt CAI high boost, 2.93 upper and 4# lower, posi race port. 60's and it is barley running. Motor is shaking horrendously. Weird burning smell from behind blower/motor. I'm uploading a video now to YouTube and will add to thread once done. Also when my clutch peddle isn't pushed down there is a fudged up knocking sound. Once I press in the pedal the sound goes away. Idk what's going on but I feel like maybe I botched the install.

Talk to your tuner, There is something up with it. Mine did the same thing in '07 when I did my ported eaton. Ran rough and idled like crap, My tOOner at the time told me it was the 60's making it rough. 2 days later I melted my number 7 piston. The tune was WAY off. JPC is good so I bet he will help you out in anyway possible. Also the noise from the clutch depressing could be your throwout bearing.

SVT DAN

Established Member
It's not a screeching sounds. It's like a clack clack clack sound. Yeah ill send then the video also and see what's up

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
This is your problem. I've gone this rout before and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone unless absolutely necessary. There are too many factors that need to be on for me to feel comfortable doing it again. Not worth the $4k for a new motor plus time down to save a couple bucks. I hope you get it figured out OP

SVT DAN

Established Member
This is your problem. I've gone this rout before and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone unless absolutely necessary. There are too many factors that need to be on for me to feel comfortable doing it again. Not worth the $4k for a new motor plus time down to save a couple bucks. I hope you get it figured out OP

The point of the email tune was for me to just be able to get my car there. Not to race or anything. This is were I'm stuck. Should I just take car to tuner or reinstall blower and pulleys

ctgreddy

Established Member
did you change the injectors or anything? if not then try starting it with a stock tune, idle and start up will not be effected by your changes so it should still start and idle fine. but it sounds like it's not your tune, sounds like it's a vacuum leak or something of that sort. post up the video so i can hear it. My car has a simple mail order tune on it, no real issues, seemed to run good for me.

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
Did you get all of your PCV stuff plugged back in under the intake and back in to the tee?

SVT DAN

Established Member
I change the injectors to 60#s. I double checked all lines clips clamps plugs whistles bells. I just got in touch with jpc and will most likely have them do a check on everything. Pay the costs and have it tuned on dyno. As long as I can have the car trailered there.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Recently installed a dragon TB/plenum and forgot to plug in the hose on the plenum. The car shook pretty good over a hose that size at idle. It would need to be a hose that size or bigger to be a vacuum leak that is THAT noticable. You could have have also creased the gasket under the charger (although doubtful). Me personally, I would reinstall the tune on your tuner, and then reinstall it in your car. If its still shaking, pull all your PVC lines (obviously you can't get to the one under the lower intake, so leave it), wiring harness and connections to the charger and pull off your CAI. Hopefully in the process you find one you missed and you don't get to far. If you don't find anything this all should take a couple hours max to check your work. Then at that point it is most likely the tune.

I hope its something simple that you can find quickly, but getting it back down to the bare supercharger will eliminate a lot

Last edited:

Det.Bullitt

Banned
Since you are in Virginia I would call Fastlane in Benson, NC. I've never been a fan of mail order tunes. Remember every car is different. If you can load it up I would really suggest you get it to Caleb at Fastlane and he will get it right.

SVT DAN

Established Member
Since you are in Virginia I would call Fastlane in Benson, NC. I've never been a fan of mail order tunes. Remember every car is different. If you can load it up I would really suggest you get it to Caleb at Fastlane and he will get it right.

I appreciate that but benson is 4+ hours away. Jpc is 2 so I gotta stay within somewhat of a distance. I don't have truck nor trailer and will have to pay somebody like a friend or something to do this for me. I'm not sitting here and blasting jpc. They come to my local track and race. Fastest 2v etc. I'm not doubting their expertise on my tune. It could be that I fudged the install up. Only time and money will tell.

myslowstang

Established Member
Probably forgot one of the vacuum lines. I just put a ported blower on my cobra just a few months ago. I went from stock (from air filter to exhaust tips, minus the upper pulley) to a posi ported blower, smaller upper, 60's, SB TB, JLT high boost intake, new MAF, and a full exhaust. When I put my "driveble tune" in so that I could drive it to the shop I ran into a similar problem. The car ran so bad I thought I f-ed up the motor and was pissed! But then as I hung my head over the engine bay I started laughing because I realized I forgot one of the million vacuum lines. Check all you vacuum lines first then call JPC if you don't find anything.

Post some pics and video

myslowstang

Established Member
BTW JPC is a very good shop and is well known for their craftsmanship. Those guys have helped me out more then a few times. They even helped me when I ran into problems when I was installing the ported blower.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
There's several things it can be. Hopefully we'll be able to get it all straightened out for you.

I'll shoot you a PM in the morning and we'll see what we can do to get you up and running.

SVT DAN

Established Member
There's several things it can be. Hopefully we'll be able to get it all straightened out for you.

I'll shoot you a PM in the morning and we'll see what we can do to get you up and running.

Awesome. But like I said, not blaming the tune. Just saying its in the possibility category

Det.Bullitt

Banned
No worries

I appreciate that but benson is 4+ hours away. Jpc is 2 so I gotta stay within somewhat of a distance. I don't have truck nor trailer and will have to pay somebody like a friend or something to do this for me. I'm not sitting here and blasting jpc. They come to my local track and race. Fastest 2v etc. I'm not doubting their expertise on my tune. It could be that I fudged the install up. Only time and money will tell.

Please keep us posted on how it turns out. I wish I would have known about this since I was driving home from Maryland last week with an empty trailer. I would have helped you out if you wanted to get it to Fastlane.

Users who are viewing this thread