probably gonna piss a lot of people off, but i gotta ask:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Also, do you believe Ford may still have something left hanging out there that it still needs to figure out in marketing so as to avoid such a pitfall with the GT350? and regarding the risk of spillover effects onto the GT500 (or whatever it's to be called

Reason----didn't you search long and hard for a '14 GT500? Do you still have it? Just curious.

I don't think Ford has ever had a problem with their Mustang product line. Not having a second performance car like camaro/corvette competing with each other definitely helps, but Ford historically has staggered Mustang models.
I would expect the GT350to go away when/if a GT500 debuts, or they will market them differently as they should have different targets or a price gap not to cross shop.
Recent years show Ford can successfully have 2 mustang performance models such as the Mach 1/Cobra and the Boss/GT500. It would likely be a stretch to have 3such as another Mach/350/500 and I would be surprised if Ford did that.
If a GT500 exists$$ 10-15k over the 350 and is much more powerful with less road course flavor and more street/strip, I could see that working.
-J

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
The camaro isnt even what Ford is baselining the 350 against.

The 350R will be running against 911 baselines, not camaro. Jim Farley eluded to that in its introduction. When statistics get released on this car, its going to SHOCK people. Or Im an idiot and way off base with my predictions. LOL

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
He said it was "in the spirit" of the 911 GT3. No way in the world it's going to come close to a 911 GT3 on a track, not unless they've done some massive weight reduction.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
A few statements:

The new generation Camaros are going to be on the Australian Holden Comodor performance chassis. Just as the Cadillac ATS/ Buick Regal and GM sister cars of these.

Faster on the track. Yes, tires are 100 compund (soft), zero wet weather tread pattern if any. Amost not streetable. And brakes are Ferrari brakes on a Chevy. Bye bye piggy bank.

I was waiting on the Z/28 to come out. Not good looking . No stripes!!! I was hoping for the legendary look of the Z?28. But no. They took too long and I researched the 2013/14 GT 500.

Got a GT 500. $63k. I didn't want the carbon ceramic expense. A correctly modified/adjusted 2014 GT 500 can hang if not put down better times than the Z/28.

GT 500: Suspension/ brakes easy fix. Screwing with the engine, not so easy. 662 hp/ 631 torque. Don't screw with it. Enough power.

I have been on the track for events 3 events so far. One Z shows up. Matches times with a lowered/suspension/iron brakes 2013 GT 500 at 1:55 here in Fontana Roval track configuration.

I saw the GT 350 at the LA auto show. 15.5" six piston Brembos all around. And 19X295 tires all around .There is suppose to be a "R" version that has the ceramic brakes if you want to pay for those. The Shelby legend is built on road racing first

Either way.. How many people will track their car anyway?? Very small percentage.

It's a lot of work to keep up with a 911 GT 3. i'll be impressed if it can hang with the Mitsubishi EVO MR version. I have seen that car embarrass a lot of vehicles on the track.

Last edited:

delvek

Established Member
I just returned to the States after years of living in Germany and about 45 minutes from the Nurburgring which is consider by many the standard for tracking a car. The entire time I ran M3s and M5s, I can tell you the GT3s were incredible on that track, they were not the exceptional but the norm as far as consistency regardless of the driver.

I think with most of these cars people take what is technically possible with a professional driver who perfects a run whether it be a lap around the ring or a 1/4 mile drag and assume everyone can do this. Its just not the case, period.

I was getting ready to move back to the US and never did a "ring taxi" lap (professional driver) and was curious, I was amazed after many trips to the ring just how much faster and confident they were then I was.

I will never forget my first lap around the ring which was 14 miles, I was so fatigued and driver stressed and it took mme a while to be able to run the track hard and do consecutive laps.

In my opinion, because of the restrictive nature of our roadways, bragging and cruising are huge part of American car culture since the 50's and its a lot of fun but I would say more then 90% of cars that are considered track competitive in the US will never see a single lap on a track and their owner while claiming bragging rights to what their car can do wouldnt know the first thing about how to do it.

Last edited:

hognutz

Established Member
A few statements:

The new generation Camaros are going to be on the Australian Holden Comodor performance chassis. Just as the Cadillac ATS/ Buick Regal and GM sister cars of these.

Faster on the track. Yes, tires are 100 compund (soft), zero wet weather tread pattern if any. Amost not streetable. And brakes are Ferrari brakes on a Chevy. Bye bye piggy bank.

I was waiting on the Z/28 to come out. Not good looking . No stripes!!! I was hoping for the legendary look of the Z?28. But no. They took too long and I researched the 2013/14 GT 500.

Got a GT 500. $63k. I didn't want the carbon ceramic expense. A correctly modified/adjusted 2014 GT 500 can hang if not put down better times than the Z/28.

GT 500: Suspension/ brakes easy fix. Screwing with the engine, not so easy. 662 hp/ 631 torque. Don't screw with it. Enough power.

I have been on the track for events 3 events so far. One Z shows up. Matches times with a lowered/suspension/iron brakes 2013 GT 500 at 1:55 here in Fontana Roval track configuration.

I saw the GT 350 at the LA auto show. 15.5" six piston Brembos all around. And 19X295 tires all around .There is suppose to be a "R" version that has the ceramic brakes if you want to pay for those. The Shelby legend is built on road racing first

Either way.. How many people will track their car anyway?? Very small percentage.

It's a lot of work to keep up with a 911 GT 3. i'll be impressed if it can hang with the Mitsubishi EVO MR version. I have seen that car embarrass a lot of vehicles on the track.

I hated the price of the Z/28 but after watching ken thwaits run his stock supention, stock bakes car w/ 600+whp in the optima challenge I am convinced it an amazing machine. now that you can pick them up for 55-60k I could so someone being swayed even though I was a big naysayer when that car was anounced. it is an odd package though I just could not belive he was basically competing for wins on the stock suspention and brakes with the Z/28 that is impressive period as some of the cars he is racing are crazy fast.

I still would never buy one for 75k but once you up the power they just seem to be pretty impressive not eveyone is going to want to do heads and cams stuff like that though.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Last edited:

hognutz

Established Member
I was looking at Z28s at 55K.... Until I read this article. The tires are a big part of the cars amazing handling imo. Just look at the raw numbers chart on page two in this article. Sure the feel would not be the same in the 1LE because the suspension was not tuned for those big meats.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1409_on_chevrolet_camaro_do_the_tires_make_the_car/

actually the DSV dampners and some other bit work quite well I think. that same guy I am talking about was running a modified 1le 600+ hp all of that and the z/28 is faster. the brakes are amazing as well on that car.

I am about ready to do a z/28 suspension upgrade on my budies 1le and I m interensted to see what it does form my novice driving perspective. I have already done the CTS-v brake upgrade on that car and it is 430whp so it is not down that much on peak power from the ls7 but I still like te way an LS7 pulls beter than a moded ls3.. I am intriqued to see how it all plays out. I think it will make that car good but it leave you wanting a bit more power. Same with my budies 425whp 5.0 we are about to do a cobra jet swap on that guy trying to get it up to 450-460whp.

I still hope the GT350 comes in at the right weight with the right power if it does it will be the car to have IMO for just a fun driver at my skill level driving. My zl1 is fun but at 600whp grip is non existan in certain contisions you can be pedaling in gear way faster than you want to be going losing grip. and the turn in and other things are not as sharp due to the 4100lb wieght.

Users who are viewing this thread