Probably a crazy question but, Choose between a 2011 GT and a 07-09 GT500

AzDropTop

Established Member
For those of you who own a GT500 if you had to do it over would you go for the the GT or stick with your GT500? They are about the same price and the GT is a good performer with the new 5.0...

I've been away from Cobra's for awhile and just wondering...

Joshua484

Established Member
07-09 GT500 ANY day. Way too easy to mod and build HUGE power. The new 5.0 is a "good" performer, but tangle with a bolt on & tuned GT500 with 3.73's and you'll be crying!

AzDropTop

Established Member
The GT doesn't have forged internals right? I guess you could pop a S/C on there right? I think the GT500 is incredible in just about every way and I am seriously considering picking one up. I am amazed how many are around with ridiculously low milage.

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
5.0 is all-forged except pistons are hypereutectic alloy not forged.

Tough call on that choice. If it's about straight-line power, you can make more with the GT500.

If it's about road course handling, the 5.0 MGT will handily out-maneuver a 07-9 GT500.

TiVCT on the 5.0 makes it's torque curve come-on very early, but the aftermarket will not be able to do much with TiVCT (it's extraordinarily complex and took Ford FRPP/Roush almost 18 months to do the GT350 tune and FRPP SC kit tunes). And don't believe all the BS in the mags about who has 'cracked' TiVCT, etc -- they haven't ...yet.

How about a BOSS 302?! All forged (even the pistons), stronger forged rods, CNC heads, bigger cams -- amazing engine, imho. And there's nothing more entertaining than a free-breathing NA motor that happily screams to 7500 and sticks to a roadcourse like white on rice ;-)

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
The 2011 GT isnt really worth it but if we're talking the new 2012 Boss 302 then go for the fully forged Boss 302 vs 07-09. Hell I might trade in my new 2011 for the new 2012 Boss 302 and then mod it since its fully forged it and make just about everything on the road and track look bad, but we'll see

Last edited:

ctozzi

Established Member
I really like the look of the new 5.0's and test drove one for shits and giggles last week. Great stang, however it's no match for a modified gt500. It all depends what your goal is, too have the latest and greatest, or have the baddest mustang ever made. I personally waited 4 yrs till the gt500 prices came down to earth to get mine, and I could not be happier. In the end do what makes you the happiest and gets the biggest bang for your buck. I have a pet peeve of seeing every tom dick and harry driving the same 5.0 mustang everywhere i go, but rarely do I ever see a gt500 so when i o see one it certainly catches my attention, were the new 5.0's appeal has already worn off for me.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
CLICK HERE for a thread which should help you with an answer to this question...

Frankly...I find it pretty amazing what's being accomplished out of the 5.0s...

And...the '10 up body styling is > '07 - '09 IMHO....

Joshua484

Established Member
Guys the original poster asked about a new 5.0 Mustang GT or used 07-09 GT500. Similar price range cars. If we are going into fantasy land and are now talking about the Boss 302R's and Leguna Seca editions.... for crying out loud. Those are 45 to 50 thousand dollar cars. Mod the 07-09 GT500 with TVS or 2.9 whipple and GRIGGS GR40SS chassis kit and race compound tires and Revan/C&R radiator & heat exchanger and you have the most bad-ass of rides! Boss 302R is sweet, but even it will fall short on the race course in the straight-a-ways when you only have 450 crank horsepower, compared to the GT500's 600 rwhp. So, install & set up the GRIGGS and hang with the Leguna Seca in the corners! Destroy 'em up on the straights!!

Oh one thing... 7,500 rpm's on a 5.0 N/A V8 would sound SA-WEET!!!!!

Josh

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
lol -- I hear ya, but the BOSS 302 base and the Laguna have identical engines -- with al those mods. In fact, same identical motor as the BOSS 302R1 (just not gutted and race prepped) but with EPAS and a 5/60 powertrain warranty ...for about $40K (we'll see in 10 days or so) ...prolly not all that different than what a clean/pristine '09 GT500 would go for?

Alternatively, an MGT with the FRPP SC-pack (as in the videos) is awesome, but, imho, the BOSS302's 5.0 is such an awesome NA motor I'd not want to 'ruin' the music with whine-over -lol.

Kewlv8

Established Member
For those of you who own a GT500 if you had to do it over would you go for the the GT or stick with your GT500? They are about the same price and the GT is a good performer with the new 5.0...
I've been away from Cobra's for awhile and just wondering...

GT500 without question. All GT500 owners will answer with "GT500", and some large percent of GT owners will answer with "GT500"....... that is all you need to know.....

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
no way would i take a GT over a GT500. as the way the new 5.0 sits the modding potenial cant touch the 5.4

AzDropTop

Established Member
Thanks guys. I had not heard about the Boss yet! Sounds awesome and will give me something to read about today at work. :) To be honest I'm not a track guy and probably will not mod either car much. The GT500's are amazing and even more so in person! Thanks again. It's good to hear a variety of opinions. I am happy to see Ford go so big with the new GT.

pony23

Established Member
I just made this choice. They are priced about the same. I looked at both and bought the GT500 last week. I LOVE this car. I am glad I chose it. This is my 5th SVT product and I never went back after I bought my first one. Like to be a little different.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
You are going to get a lot of bias in a GT500 forum, no doubt about that. I've experienced all 3 cars, 08 GT500, 2010 GT500 and the 2011 Mustang GT. I loved all the cars, but the Mustang GT is way more balanced, handles better and it also responds to bolt on mods very well. You also get better MPG with the GT also. If it were my choice, the GT would be an easy pick. I'm not to concerned with making max power (which, the stock 5.0L has been making good power also, JPC made 661 rwhp with their stock motor and a Paxton). 2010-2011 Body lines look way better too IMO.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
GT500.

I'm more for exclusivity. I had a very fast mustang GT that could blow the doors off most terminators, yet it still was, just a GT. And I sold it for less than what some bolt-on/pullied terminators sold for.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
The GT500 is also just a Mustang, you just pay about 30k more for it because of the engine and blower. The 2011 Mustang GT comes with all the same creature comforts that the GT500 now with the Premium package. Brembos, Leather/suede wrapped steering wheel, body color interior stitching, etc etc. I wouldn't say the GT500 holds any exclusivity at all, but they are nice cars, no doubt.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
I wouldn't say the GT500 holds any exclusivity at all, but they are nice cars, no doubt.

the name, blown 5.4L 4V...I say they do. Even if it doesn't seem much, it's still something.

Also, I never said GT500s are not mustangs. I always call both my old Cobra and my GT500 mustangs whenever ppl ask me what kind of car I drive.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Consider the exclusivity this...how many GT's do you see on the road? Now ask yourself this; How many GT500's do you see on the road?

I'm the only GT500 rolling around my city everyday. There's a couple that are weekend driver's, but you see maybe 4 other GT500's besides mine and not in a single day. I'm talking 4 others within the last year.....Now GT's are the same as the new Camaro's. You see one at every redlight you're at....and guess what...they BOW DOWN from their cockiness when they see the cobra on the side...

I'd call this exclusivity...and respect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread