Pro M and B cam question

reyberg

Established Member
Okay so Pro M has gone out of business right? I have a Pro M 75mm mass air and it is calibrated for 24# injextors and an elbow...which is what I have. However, I think that my B303 is causing small problem. When I start the car almost always have to start it twice and when it is started the idle is really low and not smooth. After I rev the engine slightly it all smooths out. Also at a really low speed the car is a little jerky. Is this because of the cam or is it the Pro M? Does anyone know where I could get my Pro M recalibrated to maybe help fix this? I know it is trivial and probably some that I will have to live with but I am a perfectionist.

sled

Established Member
its from the cam and gears. you probably have 373s or bigger i would think. thats the jerky feeling your getting. the rest is all normal man.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Could be from the cam, or could be the computer needs a tune. And the term you are looking for is "bucking" or "trailer hitching".

Other possibility is an open filter in the engine compartment (fan wash), or a severe bend in the piping right before the MAF...

I tuned most of mine out with a custom tune. Sometimes you can mask it by raising the idle.

BTW, ProM is back in business under new owners and a new name, and they are doing recalibrations...

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Is your Pro-M for a Cobra processor or a GT processor? Just becuse it is for 24# injectors, it is not necessarily compatable with the Cobra (X3Z) computer. Most Pro-M meters are set up for non-cobra computers (ie A9L)

redstang

93Cobra2771 said:
Could be from the cam, or could be the computer needs a tune. And the term you are looking for is "bucking" or "trailer hitching".

Other possibility is an open filter in the engine compartment (fan wash), or a severe bend in the piping right before the MAF...

I tuned most of mine out with a custom tune. Sometimes you can mask it by raising the idle.

BTW, ProM is back in business under new owners and a new name, and they are doing recalibrations...

so you're saying that if you have say a near 90 degree bend before the maf you will get that idle, even on a stock cam? i find that hard to believe... :nonono: and what if the maf is not calibrated for the injector size? will the effect mimic that of a cam?

Last edited by a moderator:

coupe5.0

Established Member
i think with all the tranny trouble and the idle issues, you should just give that wreck to me. I would be happy to take it off your hands and park it next to my black one. :D :D :D

reyberg

Established Member
coupe 5.0 -I bet you would take my 21K mile wreck off my hands, I'll just leave on the street for you ;-) ...Although I have had some issues I love this car more than the 97 Saleen I had (a lot more!)

Also, my MAF is calibrated for an elbow so I don't think that could be a problem. Thanks for the inputs.

reyberg

Established Member
Hollant-
I don't know which it is calibrated for. Ihave the calibration sheet and can't find any "codes" for a computer on there. Does anyone know what new name Pro M is under and maybe a contact number or website?

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
It might be interesting to pick up a A9L processor and drop it in and see what happens. Got a buddy with a GT or LX that can loan you their computer for a weekend?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
fastwhite86gt said:
so you're saying that if you have say a near 90 degree bend before the maf you will get that idle, even on a stock cam? i find that hard to believe... :nonono: and what if the maf is not calibrated for the injector size? will the effect mimic that of a cam?

yes.. bends affect airflow which can mess with however the meter is calibrated. Pro-m was one of the few meter manufacturers that would calibrate for a bend in the induction piping

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
fastwhite86gt said:

As Lee said - bends before the MAF are a bad thing. Air flows at different speeds around the inside of the curve and the outside of the curve, and turbulance is an issue as well. This can confuse the MAF's readings. You won't necessarily get that idle everytime, but it does happen often with common "cold air intakes" out there.

If the MAF isn't calibrated for the injector size, bucking, stalling, surging, dying, detonation, pinging - all are symptoms that may or may not occur...

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
reyberg said:
Hollant-
I don't know which it is calibrated for. Ihave the calibration sheet and can't find any "codes" for a computer on there. Does anyone know what new name Pro M is under and maybe a contact number or website?

Look on the plastic body of the meter. It should say "24# Cobra". If it doesn't, then it is for a regular 5.0. Could very well be your problem...

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
I've never noticed it before, but on my meter, ( I have a chrome bullit) on the top there is a calibration box and in that box it has etched "24 C". I have to assume that the C is for a cobra processor!

reyberg

Established Member
I am pretty sure mine does not have the "C" or "Cobra". So who do I contact to have it recalibrated?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
sled said:
mine doesnt have the C and its been dyno tuned and runs fine. they dont always put the C on there.
If it is a ProM, they ALWAYS put "Cob" or "Cobra" in there. The "C" stands for "Conical", meaning it has a conical air filter on the end of it, vs the stock airbox. There are also versions for CAI, but I forget what those say on them...

reyberg

Established Member
I don't know if that is true but here is a link to their new site. http://www.massairsystems.com/ I spoke to Chris about my current meter. I ended up sending it off this week for a recalibration. He was super nice and was able to do my meter when it arrived on Wednesday. I should have it back on Friday or Monday. Recals are still $100. This time I sent him my fenderwell elbow so the meter is tuned to it. He is also going to mark the elbow and meter so there is no guess work in which way to turn it. Here is their new info as well:

Professional Mass Air Systems, LLC
3616 SHEFFER AVE.
LANSING, MI 48906
517-327-3900
517-327-3930 FAX

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
AFM didn't buy out PROM, last I heard. They were getting reading to enter the MAF game, though.

Former employees of ProM restarted the company under the name they reyberg posted. Starting off with recalibrations, then getting back into the new meter game as business improves...

Users who are viewing this thread