Pro 5.0 shifter users...satisfied? I've got questions.

BALDSNAKE

Stop the Car Tax
Established Member
Just installed and I'm questioning performance. Yes...no doubt a shorter shift all around, especially 2nd to 3rd. However I have a small vibration in 3rd....is that normal? Also poped out of 3rd twice a half second after shift...is that a poor shift on my behalf or install problem? I'm an open track fan not a 1/4 miler. Nailing a shift not that critical...I just did not like stock 2nd to 3rd set up.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Did you take the stock boot off of the old shifter and put it on your Pro 5.0? If you did you have to make sure that it is not getting caught between the shifter and the stop bolt. This the boot on the shifter, not the one that you have to cut to make fit. I had that problem when I did that. I got a lot of vibration when I was in third. As soon as I took it off, it stopped doing it. I left it off after I installed the MGW handle. It also could be that your stop bolt is two far in and is not letting the shifter engage all the way. Let me know if any of these conditions apply.

Btw, if it is the shifter boot getting in the way, you need to place the top of the boot between the two shifter handle bolts so that it is stretched and doesn't get in between the shifter handle and the stop bolt.

Last edited:

BALDSNAKE

Stop the Car Tax
Established Member
Thanx RF...had this mod done by a mechanic who does Mustang only work. I will give him your comments Monday. Got to see him anyway...my JBA header install got loose and the put put is driving me nuts!

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Make sure you back the stop bolts out a little more. That is most likely what is causing it to come out of gear. The T56 has internal stops anyway, so just back them out until you can see daylight.

REDRACERS

Established Member
5.0 SHIFTER

I INSTALLED THE 5.0 SHIFTER AND THE HARMONIC HUM IN 5TH AND 6TH GEARS IS VERY PRONOUNCED. I EVEN TRIED SWITCHING TO REDLINE MTL TO HELP BUT IT DID NOTHING

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by Litespeed
I have the stock shifter with MGW shifter handle and I get the same harmonic hum.

fells great to have all that power at your arms reach:rolling: :-D :thumbsup:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Satisfied? Sure. But if I had to do it again, Steeda Tri-Ax. The Tri-Ax 2nd-3rd is just that much sweeter...

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Any aftermartket shifter is going to be louder than stock. You can always try taking the rubber boot off of your stock shifter and putting it on your pro 5.0 to cut back on the sound. There are two boots. One that covers the openning in the floor panel and the other that covers the actual shifter mechanism. I found that switching to the MGW handle cut back a lot on that noise. It uses rubber washers that dampen the noise, but are still stiff enough to give you a good feel.

a94cobra

Established Member
I wouldn't say any aftermarket shifter...But I would say any aftermarket shifter on this T56 trans. I have a 94 with aftermarket shifter and it is as quiet as stock. I got the Tri-ax for my 03 and it it noisy especially in the higher gears. It has nothing to do with the shifter. The transmission is noisy and sends a hum up the shifter. Ask people that have just changed the handle and are using the stock shifter. The stock shifter handle eliminates this hum with the large rubber bushing there. But this also makes the shifter very sloppy. I like the better shifting you get from the removal of the stock handle. But is it worth the hum?

jshen

Established Member
w.c.mortimer

I recommend a little loctite on the stop bolts. They have a tendency to back out also..I had a Pro-5.0 and sent it back as I did not want to cut parts to make it work..The "pres" got hacked that I questioned his product! That boot you have to cut is about $50.00 to replace. I'm going to Steeda...

03redfiresnake

Established Member
The ford dealership where I purchased my 03 cobra put on the Pro5.0 shifter with its handle. I couldn't reach third and fifth very easy so I installed triax handle with stock knob and I love the set up, no popping out of gears and very easy operation.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Have you guys noticed the UPR Blu Thunder shifter is practically identical to the tri-x unit but only costs $149? I put one in my 95 a while ago and liked it a lot. I will probably try one in my 03 too.

rboscht

Established Member
How to get to your PMs.

03redfiresnake - If you click on forums, then scroll all the way down to Private messages...then click on it...you can see your PMs there. If that doesnt work I can email you or call you. My email address is [email protected] and my # is 302-275-2929.

Roger

rboscht

Established Member
Nevermind-03redfiresnake I just got your email

Nevermind 03redfiresnake...Looks like you got it..I jjust saw your email.

BALDSNAKE

Stop the Car Tax
Established Member
Thanks for all of your advise. I have reset the stop going into 3rd and it shifts great. Also hum is gone. Now I've got to find a wife with longer arms (she loves to drive this beast and has in fact done open track in it....get this ...she is 56 and recovering from a stroke to boot)
or, get an after market shift handle.

Users who are viewing this thread