Price on gear installation

Mydirtytruck

The GT is waking up
Established Member
Hey guys i have a set of 3:73's that i want to get installed. What did all you guys who did gear swaps have to pay?

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
Mydirtytruck said:
Hey guys i have a set of 3:73's that i want to get installed. What did all you guys who did gear swaps have to pay?

$60 and took like 15 minutes

Dusten

Established Member
129saleen said:
$60 and took like 15 minutes
WTF are you talking about?
Typically a shop will charge about 4-5 hours labor, and whatever the shop labor rate is.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Sometimes I hear of deals around $150 for installation, but realistically, you're looking at $250 plus.

Last edited:

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Its been a LONG while but if I remember what I think I do...

Labor $175
Gears $190 roughly
Install kit ?
Axle seals ?
Axle bearings ?
Speeo gear ?
Trac Lock rebuild kit ?

Plus some new brake shoes for the rear.

All in all it was in the high $500 range I think, plus my car needed the new seals, bearings as its just an old Fox. The guy that did my gears gave me a lower price than anyone else around, plus I knew him and of his work by word or mouth.

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
As i said $60 and took 15 minutes.... Not including the price of the gears..
If you want to tell me otherwise how much I spent go right ahead..
I know the owner of the shop and he gave me a DEAL ever heard of that????

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
Dusten said:
WTF are you talking about?
Typically a shop will charge about 4-5 hours labor, and whatever the shop labor rate is.

4-5hrs???????My God, how slow are they working????:poke:

Dusten

Established Member
129saleen said:
As i said $60 and took 15 minutes.... Not including the price of the gears..
If you want to tell me otherwise how much I spent go right ahead..
I know the owner of the shop and he gave me a DEAL ever heard of that????
He asked what he can expect to pay, not what your buddy gave you for a deal on your gears. And it only took 15 minutes to remove, and reinstall a gear set, in a car? Wow, that man is ****ing amazing, and is probably a miracle worker...

*i take it back, he did ask what we all paid, but you know damn well that no reputable shop is going to charge only 60 bucks to do it.*
4-5 hours, at 50-60 bucks an hour, is what most shops charge. Call around.

500 bucks, with all parts is a good price.
I would say 600 worst case.
Figure the master install kit comes with all bearings and seals needed, gears, labor, fluids.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
Mydirtytruck said:
The local Ford dealership wants $600......and thats just labor
I would never take my rig to the dealer for something like gears. Call around at some of the smaller shops, or possibly an offroad shop in town.

thasalvoo

i paid 150 for a set of used gears and install... lol that was a hook up...
but ud probably expect to pay around 200/250 for just install... 500 bucks sounds about right for everything. Just make sure you change out the bearings and seals with fresh fluid and u should be good to go. gears are a pain in the ass to do. so to whoever said 15 minutes for the install is flippin crazy. there is no possible way to do it in that amount of time. you sir are a douchebag

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
thasalvoo said:
i paid 150 for a set of used gears and install... lol that was a hook up...
but ud probably expect to pay around 200/250 for just install... 500 bucks sounds about right for everything. Just make sure you change out the bearings and seals with fresh fluid and u should be good to go. gears are a pain in the ass to do. so to whoever said 15 minutes for the install is flippin crazy. there is no possible way to do it in that amount of time. you sir are a douchebag

So you paid 150 for the gears and install???? I guess since every other person didnt pay that much then your lying..

And there is a way to do it in 15 mins, the same way mine were installed its that simple...

Its not hard at all to have the car on a lift, take shit out, change the gears, gaskets and and every other dam thing u have to do and put them back in and put fluid in...
I didnt say it wasnt a pain in the ass but If I said I did it in 15 mins then I fu ckin did it in 15 mins so U THASALVOO can suck a big fat *ick

Dusten

Established Member
so, in fifteen minutes, you can put the car on the lift, crack open the diff. Drain the fluid, pull the driveline, pull the rear tires, brakes, both axle shafts, pull the diff out, pull the yoke off, pull the pinion, replace the yoke and new pinion, with bearings installed, pull the old ring gear off the diff, install the new ring gear, install new bearings, put the diff in, get the gears set up properly, re-install both shafts(with new bearings), the brakes, diff cover, fluids, driveline, and put it back on the ground, with the tires.... ALL IN FIFTEEN ****ING MINUTES? You are a moron, and need to go the fawk away.

Its not hard at all to have the car on a lift, take shit out, change the gears, gaskets and and every other dam thing u have to do and put them back in and put fluid in...
my favorite part is how you don't even have a ****ing clue what your are talking about.. take the shit out, and change the gears? WOW!!!!

Last edited:

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
OK thats y you got ripped off for payin $500.. Ive had mine in for 3-1/2 yrs and the fact of the matter is, is that I payed $60 and it took 15 fn mins....There were 4 people doing it including me so u can think whatever you want...Its not as hard as you think if you and the people helping know wtf there doin, so go blow urself... Sry i didnt sit here and tell u every step...
And the answer to ur ? is yes u can do it in 15 mins...:bored:

Dusten

Established Member
129saleen said:
OK thats y you got ripped off for payin $500.. Ive had mine in for 3-1/2 yrs and the fact of the matter is, is that I payed $60 and it took 15 fn mins....There were 4 people doing it including me so u can think whatever you want...Its not as hard as you think if you and the people helping know wtf there doin, so go blow urself... Sry i didnt sit here and tell u every step...
And the answer to ur ? is yes u can do it in 15 mins...:bored:

First off... Slow down and try some grammar. Second, no... it can't be done. there isn't room for 4 people where MOST of the work is being done. You're a liar, a noob, and you need to go away. Stop making as ass out of yourself. I personally have never paid a dime to have gears installed, that goes with having a father who is a master tech, and taught me things from an early age. So, i haven't been ripped off. $500 parts and labor is very fair price, call around and ask any shop. Do me a favor, and learn some english, learn to type, and not post like a 13 year old girl.

Users who are viewing this thread