Price on 2004 Cobra

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
I turned down a $30k offer last spring for my 2004 Screaming Yellow coupe with 12K original miles with some tasteful done mods. I remember back in the day sy cars were sought after, now days everyone hates them, lol.

MorganWorth

For those who are trying to finance these cars, I have seen success with lightstream, a division of sun trust who specializes in collector car loans. Last customer who used them had a 2-3% rate for 60 mos..

no affiliation

Black2010

Established Member
For those who are trying to finance these cars, I have seen success with lightstream, a division of sun trust who specializes in collector car loans. Last customer who used them had a 2-3% rate for 60 mos..

no affiliation

I've used them in the past. Their rates differ between dealer and individual sales but is a decent option for older vehicles as they also offer unsecured loans.

hemdog

Established Member

no affiliation

Agreed. Local bank was not on board at all. Went through Lightstream and couldn't be happier.

Hunter_M_

Established Member

no affiliation
Can confirm this! Smooth sailing the past 9 months.

noeleven

Established Member
Thank you guys for all the advise.
I got approved from Penfed but they only approved me for 110% of car value on NADA.com.
How much Lightstream approves for?

nxhappy

Established Member
Thank you guys for all the advise.
I got approved from Penfed but they only approved me for 110% of car value on NADA.com.
How much Lightstream approves for?
that's as good as it gets lol....you need to put down a larger deposit to decrease the loan amount

noeleven

Established Member
Got it.

So I just received blank check that I can used upto 22k but cann't exceed 110% of Nada.com value of the car.
If any of you bought a car by financing through Penfed, how did you guys safely made transaction to buy the car from private seller?
Any sellers won't feel safe to get a check instead of cash and let their car go.
Also, I don't feel safe to give seller a check and get the car after check gets cleared.

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
Got it.

So I just received blank check that I can used upto 22k but cann't exceed 110% of Nada.com value of the car.
If any of you bought a car by financing through Penfed, how did you guys safely made transaction to buy the car from private seller?
Any sellers won't feel safe to get a check instead of cash and let their car go.
Also, I don't feel safe to give seller a check and get the car after check gets cleared.

Talk to the bank and see if they can wire transfer the money to the person's bank your going to buy the car from.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

That's the only way to do it by check. You have to give them the check. They deposit it and after it clears they release the car to you. It's the same with a wire transfer. Your bank wires the money to the sellers bank. Once they receive the money they release the car to you.

Only other way is a cash payment and then you get the car on the spot.

I purchased both my Cobra's through the internet. First was a wire transfer and then they drove the car to me. Second was a wire transfer and then I went to pick the car up. Both times seller received the money first and then I got the car.

No one will ever release a car without payment first. You just need to decide how you want to pay (i.e. check, transfer or cash).

noeleven

Established Member
That's the only way to do it by check. You have to give them the check. They deposit it and after it clears they release the car to you. It's the same with a wire transfer. Your bank wires the money to the sellers bank. Once they receive the money they release the car to you.

Only other way is a cash payment and then you get the car on the spot.

I purchased both my Cobra's through the internet. First was a wire transfer and then they drove the car to me. Second was a wire transfer and then I went to pick the car up. Both times seller received the money first and then I got the car.

No one will ever release a car without payment first. You just need to decide how you want to pay (i.e. check, transfer or cash).

Yea, internet sales is different. There is no way buyer is going to get anything that they buy through internet. Not just cars, small stuff that people buy on internet. Even when buyers pick it up locally, they need to pay first. People feel safe to pay first since internet purchase is somewhat protected. You can claim and reverse the payment if you don't get the product.

What would you do if seller disappears after you gave seller check and check is cleared which means seller got the fund in his/her bank and I never the get the car? From what I know, once check is deposited and fund gets cleared, payment by check can't be reversed.
Maybe I can put stop payment before check get cleared but before check gets cleared, I will never know if the seller will disappear or not.

I really appreciated for the opinion and advise but if you can back up your statement it would be much helpful, not just say "No" or "Yes"

Check = payment
I'm not sure if you understand what I was saying but I didn't say I'm expecting seller to release their car without me giving the seller a check.

But at the same time, I completely understand seller will concern since the fund doesn't become available instantly after they deposit it.

Gary101386

Established Member
I just bought my 2004 last april and my credit union would finance up to 125% of the NADA value of the car. I also got 2.99%

noeleven

Established Member
I just bought my 2004 last april and my credit union would finance up to 125% of the NADA value of the car. I also got 2.99%
May I ask what credit union did you get financed from?
Also, how did you pay to seller?

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
I financed through PenFed. It's been a few years though. Go to your state's website, and you'll most likely find instructions on what all you need to do to buy a vehicle and transfer the title. I had to fill out a Bill of Sale for the vehicle, and I had the seller sign it. They signed the title over to me once the funds cleared, and handed me the keys. All that was left to do then was fill out the paperwork and pay the fees to get the title in my name (and PenFed's).

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
YCheck = payment
I'm not sure if you understand what I was saying but I didn't say I'm expecting seller to release their car without me giving the seller a check.

But at the same time, I completely understand seller will concern since the fund doesn't become available instantly after they deposit it.

I understand what you are saying, but you are in a situation that I like to refer to as a Mexican stand off.

You don't want to give the seller a check because you are worried he will run off with the funds and the car. Seller does not want to release the car because he's worried your check could bounce.

So, what do you do??? One of you has to trust the other and most of the time it is left up to the buyer to trust the seller as the buyer has to come up with the funds.

So, if you think the seller is going to run off with your money then you need to buy from someone else or set up a transaction to pay the seller through a system you trust (i.e. paypal).

It shouldn't have to be this difficult, but because there are a lot of crooks out there this is how it is.

noeleven

Established Member
I financed through PenFed. It's been a few years though. Go to your state's website, and you'll most likely find instructions on what all you need to do to buy a vehicle and transfer the title. I had to fill out a Bill of Sale for the vehicle, and I had the seller sign it. They signed the title over to me once the funds cleared, and handed me the keys. All that was left to do then was fill out the paperwork and pay the fees to get the title in my name (and PenFed's).
I'm not worrying about general process of purchasing a car that is on DMV website.
I am worrying when I pay with check, the fund is up in the air for few days before check gets cleared. The fund is not on buyer nor seller.

Very picky seller won't sign bill of sale since the fund is not available.
Also, even when I sign bill of sale, seller still can be disappeared and I don't get the title and car.

noeleven

Established Member
Abri credit union. It's a small credit union in the Chicagoland area. Only 5 or 6 locations.

They made the check directly out to the seller. I brought seller the check. I drove home.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Penfed has that option too.
That might make seller feel little more safer than black check but it is still a check

noeleven

Established Member
So, what do you do??? One of you has to trust the other and most of the time it is left up to the buyer to trust the seller as the buyer has to come up with the funds.
QUOTE]
Yea, that's what I thought but I was just hoping there is official way than just trust.

Thank you for your advice!

Users who are viewing this thread