$$ price of a fully forged motor

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
the 03/04 shortblocks are forged bottom ends. but if you're talking about upgrading there are way too many variables to a build to pinpoint cost. and I take it you're talking about doing yourself right? are you keeping the crank, are you keeping the rods? etc. where are you in NC?

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
not a good question really... like already stated, they are forged from factory. I f you mean built, that is a tough question too.

What are your plans for the car??

Quagmire

Established Member
Everything in that block is pretty tough, only thing you really need to change is the pistons, i am just not a fan of them, but rule of thumb is anything close to 700 hp you need to upgrade pistons and rings. What you want out of the car is the question.

GodStang

Established Member
As they said and if you do change stuff it depends if you go cheap forged rods or cheap forged pistons or billet rods, or so on. You need specifics.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
Everything in that block is pretty tough, only thing you really need to change is the pistons, i am just not a fan of them, but rule of thumb is anything close to 700 hp you need to upgrade pistons and rings. What you want out of the car is the question.

really?

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Last edited:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member

Brutal Metal

Established Member
i was being sarcastic when i typed that.

failures happen. but to say we have weak or cheap pistons is false. with proper maintence and tuning, these motors can last awhile and make great power. ask me how i know...
I wouldn't call them weak but if your not aware they have expansion problems with high cylinder temps and broken ringlands happen do to tight tolerances!

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
I'm 21 single and in iraq making a ton I want to put the best/largest blower on it

From your post, you're on the civilian side....and a ton...must be on the wps contracts.

Do a 5.0 stroker....ported heads...cams....and a 2.9 or a 3.4. Killer chiller and multiple tunes/boost. Stay safe.

Quagmire

Established Member
dude go turbo if you got like 15k to spend. Or put a 3.4 and get 700+ hp. But def be safe. I am just not a fan of the pistons, aka i melted one, so building mine with .003 tols instead of .001

03bamfcobrasvt

Established Member
no im military im making about 3000 a month tax free ha. but yea if i threw a 3.4 whipple what mods would i have to do to make the engine and the car handle +700 keep in mind its a vert..

Alter Ego Trip

Established Member
I'd recommend starting by doing a little research about the cobra motor and suspension, then about tuning and power adders in general. That is waaayyy to vague of a question to be answered in a single post or two; and from the sounds of it, you're a long way from understanding all that is involved. JMTC.

Quagmire

Established Member
I'd recommend starting by doing a little research about the cobra motor and suspension, then about tuning and power adders in general. That is waaayyy to vague of a question to be answered in a single post or two; and from the sounds of it, you're a long way from understanding all that is involved. JMTC.

^
|
Right i don't think you know what you are getting in to. Look at my current build thread or any others. Mine is a vert and goal is 700 rwhp semi dd.
Cost adds up quickly too talking 4-6k just for blower and fuel upgrades. Not to mention trany input shaft, clutch, bushings, wheels tires, exhaust, pulleys, HE, tanks, and tune.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/793726-my-build-thread-700-rwhp.html

GodStang

Established Member
Guys do not compare a Turbo setup to a Twin Screw setup. It is the stupidest thing in the world. It is the number one way people show they have no idea what they are talking about. 800 on a turbo is no where near the same as 800 on a Twin Screw.

The weakest part of the engines are the pistons. If you look at the Summary of Failed engines 90% or more are the failed pistons. Many on lightly modded cars. The rods are nice but there are better.

If you have money to blower than ported heads, CUSTOM cams, 2.8LC Mammoth (Would use it long before even touching the 2.9L) or the 3.4L Crusher and E85.

The Mammoth and Crusher have both made well over 800rwhp so you will have some power. Now as said above you can always go turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread