Price of 2003 50k mile cobra

meathogg

Established Member
What would be a good price on this car from a dealership? Car is in good shape just has 50k miles on and is a silver coupe black/grey interior

Thanks
John

BenD

Established Member
Don't touch it!

A Subaru with 50,000 miles that's been maintained regularly is a safe bet, because they'll run for 300,000, I know that for a fact.

But an '03 Cobra Mustang with 50,000 miles is not, even if you can steel it, which I doubt. There are too many variables.

Very High performance cars with that kind of mileage are well into the high maintenance and repair cycle of life. If raced that's even worse.

If you have 20 grand laying around over and above the asking price and are prepared to rebuild it, if necessary, from asshole to appetite, so to speak, and the price is right, then go for it. If it is cosmetically flawless all the better.

At 70 I've had a shit load of experience on issues like that.

Some may disagree, but that's my $0.02.

meathogg

Established Member
Thanks for the input i totally agree hopefully i am going to get a steal on it and rebuilding it will only make it faster!:coolman:

Thanks
John

Black03WPB

Established Member
Come on now, 50,000 miles doesnt mean the car is going to be a huge chunk of crap. If it was maintained correctly, the car will be in better shapre than most 25,000 mile cobras I know.

If the car drives smoothly, and doenst have any major damage, I would personally pick it up for $20,000.

-Ryan

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I would NEVER buy a used Cobra without knowing its history. For all you know that car could have 100+ runs down the 1320 and endless street thrashings. Just look at the people who post here. We are all a bunch of meatheads always looking for more ways to make our cars faster. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'm not saying a Cobra is not reliable past 50K miles but the majority of them live a very hard life.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First, we don't have much history on any 50,000+ '03/'04 Cobras. I for one wouldn't touch it. Too many unknowns IMO. Second, you need to know if it has been modded, and to what extent. If it has (especially pullied), the life expectancy of the motor and blower are undoubtedly shortened. But you won't know by how much. Again, we don't have any history on these cars yet to know either way. If I was buying any used '03 or '04 Cobra I would keep my choices to a motor with 20,000 miles or less on it. And unmodded. I wouldn't touch a modded motor simply because we all know how hard a lot of these are pushed. LOL! That's not to say that these motors (stock or modded) won't see exceptional life before a rebuild of any nature is required. Just saying that the motor is still relatively new and we haven't yet gathered any history data that would pinpoint their reliability over 50,000 miles.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I just got into my 2nd 03 Cobra, a Satin Silver coupe, 15k miles for $21,700 from a local dealer. They had put new tires on it, new clutch in it and 4 wheel alignment.

Would not have bought a 50k mile one.

1 BLOWN V8

Established Member
I just looked up KBB and for trade in value it shows $19,200 and all dealers go $2,000 under that price period. So I would say that they paid around $17,000 for the car and then had to have it inspected, smoged and what ever it needed tires ect. Looking at KBB dealer would ask roughly 25,000 which is way to high. At best you will pay around $19,000-$21,000. Also these prices are for mint condition. Look around for another cobra. I have seen a few on this site alone selling for around $25,000 to $27,000 and very low miles 5,000 to 15,000 miles. Why dont you see in the market if someone has one close to you for sale. Hope this helps a little

sjw985

Established Member
I'd be uncomfortable buying one of these cars used unless the following four conditions are met:

1) The car still has significant warranty remaining;
2) The car is not (and was not) modded beyond CAI & catback. Chip/pulley/predator are no-nos;
3) According to Ford the warranty is still intact;
4) If possible to verify, ensure it was not raced beyond maybe a couple times to the drag strip.

IDAREU

Banned
It is all in your point of view. 50k on a 1 year old car means to me it was driven alot on highway miles. It would be torture if you drove a Cobra in the city and racked up 50k in a year or so.

In ten years a 50k Cobra will be consider a low mileage car.
I do not understand why people on this board are so afraid of a 50k Cobra.
To me it all comes down to price because there are deals out there !

CWCobra

Established Member
Hey, guys! The man's question was "what would be a good price?" He didn't ask whether or not to buy it!!!

IMHO, a good price would be $16,995 or less, depending on condition, presence or absence of mods, etc.

I think everyone would buy that car at some price. It just depends what the price is. Some might pay more than others.

As with any used vehicle, find out all you can about prior owner(s), and have your own mechanic check it out. Don't fear the mileage just for mileage sake: I've got 128,000 miles on my 4.6L DOHC Continental, and it's as strong as when new. i put 255,000 on my previous vehicle before I sold it. Sometimes low mileage can be an indication of trouble too: lots of short trips; dried out gaskets and seals; rusted parts for long periods of non-use. I'd rather have a 50,000 mile well-maintained car, than a 5,000 mile car whose maintenance had been ignored. We've got a lady at work who owns a 1980 something Dodge. Only has like 14,000 miles on it. Longest trip of it's life is less than 10 miles. Never been driven over 40 mph. That car would be a nightmare if you tried to put it on the road and drive it!!!

Later.
CW

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Re: Don't touch it!

Originally posted by BenD
A Subaru with 50,000 miles that's been maintained regularly is a safe bet, because they'll run for 300,000, I know that for a fact.

But an '03 Cobra Mustang with 50,000 miles is not, even if you can steel it, which I doubt. There are too many variables.

Very High performance cars with that kind of mileage are well into the high maintenance and repair cycle of life. If raced that's even worse.

If you have 20 grand laying around over and above the asking price and are prepared to rebuild it, if necessary, from asshole to appetite, so to speak, and the price is right, then go for it. If it is cosmetically flawless all the better.

At 70 I've had a shit load of experience on issues like that.

Some may disagree, but that's my $0.02.

I do disagree. Why? Well, i'm in the process of helping a friend go after Subaru of America- 02 WRX, lost the tranny at 20k, and is presently at the dealership with a blown motor. 37k miles BONE STOCK and it's never been to any track in it's life.

At the moment, i'm coming back from Vegas on the 15 freeway, in my 47k mile, very modded 03 Cobra with 3 people and trunk full of luggage, A/C on, doing about 90 mph (i'm in the passangers seat!), the temp inj Baker at that tall temometer is 95. On the drive out, i was getting 21 mpg with the same people/luggage load and A/C on. Someone else tell me how horrible and unreliable the 03/04 Cobra is at 50k miles.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
An 03 with 50k has probably been driven 25k a year. I know when I drove my vette last year and put 23k on it I didn't beat all 23k of those miles. There is no way I could..shit I got 5 points last year for just speeding with the cruise control on. I'd be willing to bet that 10k mile 03 cobras are beat more than that 50k one. Just a thought. Most high mileage cars aren't bad, but as said earlier..03/04 cobras are ones to really watch out for. Lets face it, Mustangs are driven hard!

-Corey

03RedCobra

Established Member
Whereabouts is the Dealer that you are buying it from ???
Southern Illinois has A LOT of roads that are VERY long and straight ! 50,000 miles put on it maybe some very Mild miles.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Originally posted by Chonger
I would NEVER buy a used Cobra without knowing its history. For all you know that car could have 100+ runs down the 1320
A car only has to have 25 miles on it to do 100 runs down the 1320.:D :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread