Price is too high

03cobraminn

Established Member
Say , isn't this the "price is to high thread" I think some people are a little upset that the gt isnt what coletti said it was going to be. If you dont like my response , simply read on.Your Billy Bob , and Corolla bs is a little childish , even for a mod.The fact remains that the price is to high vs. other cars being made now.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 03cobraminn
Say , isn't this the "price is to high thread" I think some people are a little upset that the gt isnt what coletti said it was going to be. If you dont like my response , simply read on.Your Billy Bob , and Corolla bs is a little childish , even for a mod.The fact remains that the price is to high vs. other cars being made now.

I can't see where you get the idea the price is too high for this car? The GT blows the doors off of everything in it's price range! Even cars costing 50k more!

Anybody and everybody owns Vipers and '03 Cobras if that's what you would rather have? By all means, more power to you.

But some of us are intrigued by the performance, design and exclusivity of the GT. The Ford GT-40 made a huge impression on me back in the 60's. It has been a dream car of mine for 40 years. I hope to some day own one?

Again, 150k IMHO is really inexpensive for this vehicle.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

fordification

Established Member
I think the true value for the GT will shine through went they professional test it on a track, and not this weak 'pylons in a parking lot' tests the mags seem to think are so important.

03cobraminn

Established Member
I think the gt rocks , I love the car , I just think that for the money the viper fairs pretty good. Now I also understand that the gt is more advanced . Im just not sure that it is roughly 55,000 dollars more advanced.Now today I read that it has 550 h.p , Is it possible that the GT that the mags tested was only 500 h.p? Maybe ford had something up their sleave after all. I could be wrong the more I think about the price being to high , but I was stuck on the car only costing roughly a 100 grand , like we were told 2 years ago.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Until another vehicle which offers more (of everything the GT does and at a better price) is manufactured and marketed, statements that the GT is overpriced are so much nonsense.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
We pretty much knew from the onset that the HP rating on the GT was going to be estimated on the low side. Ford told us this. They didn't want to have it come back and bite them sometime in the future like the '99 Cobra's?

I think if you ever have a chance to check this magnificent machine out when it is on a track "in action" it may change your mind?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

djt81185

Established Member
well the viper was like .1 sec faster in the quarter and only 1 mph down in trap speed and slalom speed but viper out skidpadded it. Braked in 97 ft from 60 compared to 118 for the gt... all for 90,000

Im a by the numbers guy...for the remaining 40,000youd have a viper that could kill anything that comes your way.

Also expect the new mustang cobra...not boss cobra around 07...it will be viper hunting

Paul Vincent

Established Member
djt, Was that some magazine test? Were the cars tested at the same track on the same day by the same driver? Did the test include road course handling and top speed? What was the breakdown of times/speeds of the two cars as they ran the 1/4 mile? Was the Viper always in the lead, ever in the lead, or only in the lead at the 1/4 mile mark? Which car had the faster 1/4 mile speed? Did the test include 0-150 mph? Which car's production version can break 200 mph stock? Has this test been duplicated? Was the GT an actual production version, or was it something less? Would you bet your life on the results of the test being duplicated even half of the time let alone a majority? I know that I wouldn't. Now, besides that - ask yourself this: Which of the two cars will more easily yield additional hp at an affordable price?
Which of the two vehicles will be the better financial investment over the coming decades? Which vehicle is beautiful and which is "good body" but otherwise a "double bagger"? Which vehicle has already received a bid of over $500,000 at auction? Finally, wy not just go buy a Vette (rather than a Viper) if mods are all that's necessary to make your dream car?

djt81185

Established Member
ummm yes

sameday, same track, same drivers...motortrend i believe...i have the mag at home

a viper is a hot car so it the gt...i just couold justify 40,000+ for a name and "heritage" Besides...viper got the drop top.

and a vette is not in the same league

and viper more power at reasonable prices...its a 8.3L compared to a 5.4L spray is your friend and why reasonable....you got 40,000 extra to spend:)

fordification

Established Member
Here it is. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/index2.html

I've went over this before but, although they didn't say anthing about it, the 2 cars seemed to have been tested on different days on different roads or something, because they mentioned the Viper being tested on "stickier pavement". This gets me thinking the test is botched or adjusted. How hard is it to test them under the same enviroment?

Also on the acceleration test, the GT was pulling farther and farther away from the Viper up until the 1/4 mark. I'm thinking the GT did a shift change at the finish or something.

djt81185

Established Member
Its not different days...different sections of the track they said. Also they have pics of the 2 side by side...so they were there together for the test.

CobraBri

Established Member
Originally posted by djt81185
well the viper was like .1 sec faster in the quarter and only 1 mph down in trap speed and slalom speed but viper out skidpadded it. Braked in 97 ft from 60 compared to 118 for the gt... all for 90,000

Im a by the numbers guy...for the remaining 40,000youd have a viper that could kill anything that comes your way.

Also expect the new mustang cobra...not boss cobra around 07...it will be viper hunting

In the artcle, it was plainly stated that the Viper was tested on a stickier track and that the differrence in braking performance could be attributed to that....BUT ALSO, did you notice that the Viper numbers were taken from MT's Top Speed Shootout??????? The two cars were not tested head to head....to hell with MotorTrend...the article was pure deception and BS.

CobraBri

Established Member
Originally posted by djt81185
Its not different days...different sections of the track they said. Also they have pics of the 2 side by side...so they were there together for the test.

the numbers are EXACTLY those out of MT's June 2003 "Speeding" issue..so they in fact WERE NOT tested side-by-side...unless you consider parking them togethor for pictures as objective comparison testing. :dw:

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
I have been a passenger in a SL55, and believe me it will smoke the shit out of my 03 cobra(stock to stock) What do ya'll think?:p
How will the SL55 do at Nûrburgring? (24 Hours at LeMans) My guess that in 24 hours that the GT would be ahead by about 2 hours, at least!!

Paul Vincent

Established Member
If the GT's price (at $139,999 - $150,000) is too high, then what is the Maserati MC12 at $800,000 for its base price. If nothing else, the MC12 shows the GT to be a bargain.

Vibrant_Sn95

Established Member
Lol, how many mid-engined, aluminum bodied, 200+mph supercars go for $80,000 dollars? Viper isn't mid-engined, it doesn't have an aluminum body, and it won't go 200+. Look at what it has to offer and how it is built, and tell me a cheaper car that duplicates the GT for less. THERE'S NONE!! The Viper is NOT equal to the GT so i don't know where some here get off that both should cost the same. Just look at the construction and the attention to detail of both cars for crying out loud. One is obviously cheaper to build.

Btw: the whiners are almost always the ones who couldn't afford the GT to begin with...even at a 80,000 dollar sticker. Personally, it could be 1 million dollars for all i care, it'll never grace my garage (not that i hadn't dremt about it)

Users who are viewing this thread