Premium down to Regular...?

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Works on a 2011 Taurus too! Went from 26mpg to 28mpg and runs stronger. We're on a road trip right now.

And don't even get me started on non-ethenol fuel! She hit 31mpg with that stuff!

RioRed4v

Established Member
Fact: you will have slightly worst MPG with 87. I work for ford and just so happen to take a fuel economy class today.

This is true. Learned this a long time ago and try to explain to people when premium is recommended, the car actually runs better and more efficient. Even at low throttle, the car is able to run more timing which will create better power and produce a more efficient burn allowing the engine to produce better mpg's. The little amount you save running 87 instead of 93, really doesn't make that big of a savings and is hard on the motor being so high compression its fighting constantly to keep detonation at bay.

Cool. Thanks guys:beer: Exactly what I was looking to know.

mhyjek

Established Member
This is true. Learned this a long time ago and try to explain to people when premium is recommended, the car actually runs better and more efficient. Even at low throttle, the car is able to run more timing which will create better power and produce a more efficient burn allowing the engine to produce better mpg's. The little amount you save running 87 instead of 93, really doesn't make that big of a savings and is hard on the motor being so high compression its fighting constantly to keep detonation at bay.

My dd use to be Hyundai sonata 2.0t which it's computer use to due tune for regular as well and I did numerous tanks of regular vs premium and premium at 35 cents per gallon offset always was more cost efficient especially on a road trip I could get upwards of 34 mpgs on highway compared to 29.5 with regular. Funny enough my AED tuned headers, boss Im, and intake with 3.31 manual can get 32 on same trip and averages about the same as my Hyundai did on my daily routev:banana:
Premium all the way

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
Does going from premium grade to regular grade fuel usually work out ok?

Have a big road trip coming up and figured I wouldn't really need the Premium fuel for it, and the extra savings from regular grade would be a bonus.

Any drawbacks doing this?

why didnt you post this on MW? LOL

burke985

Established Member
I agree if premium fuel cost is a concern then get something else , I dont care what the owners manual says , it clearly states for optimal performace use 91 or higher

Users who are viewing this thread