Premium down to Regular...?

RioRed4v

Established Member
Does going from premium grade to regular grade fuel usually work out ok?

Have a big road trip coming up and figured I wouldn't really need the Premium fuel for it, and the extra savings from regular grade would be a bonus.

Any drawbacks doing this?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
youll be fine if your not tuned. I wouldn't recommend it on a tune car thoe

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
youll be fine then. the PCM will pull timing for 87 an make less power

RioRed4v

Established Member
Ok, thanks. I figured it would be ok, but just wanted to double check. Any idea how much down on power it might be? Also, is there any effects on mpg?

NickSezz

Established Member
Cool. Any idea if the MPG varies with the lower octane? I would assume it doesnt.

Closer to 100 with the amount of miles I'm driving and gas prices I've seen.

Premium fuel with the correct spark advance should be more efficient since the fuel will have more time to burn.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Premium fuel with the correct spark advance should be more efficient since the fuel will have more time to burn.

Interesting. I might run a tank or so of regular to see if makes a impact. If so, i might switch back to premium.

Thanks for the help guys:beer:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Cool. Any idea if the MPG varies with the lower octane? I would assume it doesnt.

Closer to 100 with the amount of miles I'm driving and gas prices I've seen.

WHAT?! BWAHAHAHA i hope this is a joke?! Per tank you save $3 from 87 to 93 price varying but its not much. Stay with 93 and thanks yourself later

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Around my area, Premium is about 35 to 45 cents higher then 87. So that would be about $6 more per tank. Seems like Premium is getting higher and higher compared to 87.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you bought a mustang you should be able to afford premium, mine will never see 87 octane!

I dont really agree since up untill 2011. No mustang gt needed premium from the factory. Now if you bought a boss or gt500 you should be able to afford premium.

Torchy

Established Member
Fact: you will have slightly worst MPG with 87. I work for ford and just so happen to take a fuel economy class today.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Fact: you will have slightly worst MPG with 87. I work for ford and just so happen to take a fuel economy class today.

This is true. Learned this a long time ago and try to explain to people when premium is recommended, the car actually runs better and more efficient. Even at low throttle, the car is able to run more timing which will create better power and produce a more efficient burn allowing the engine to produce better mpg's. The little amount you save running 87 instead of 93, really doesn't make that big of a savings and is hard on the motor being so high compression its fighting constantly to keep detonation at bay.

Users who are viewing this thread