Power Steering Leak WTF?

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Power Steering Leak WTF? *PICS*

So yesterday morning I noticed that after I started up my car and was backing out of my garage there was a real nasty screaching sound. I immediatly know it was something steering related cuz it only happend when i turned the wheel.
I got outa the car and check my power steering fluid level and it was LOW, way below the Min. mark. I then followed the lines until I saw a puddle of fluid just sitting in my engine bay. I refilled the fluid and after a day It went down about an inch in level so now I know I've got a real problem.
I'm taking it to the dealer hopefully tommarow because I cant drive it leaking like this. I took some pics so you see what I mean:

IMG_0425.gif

IMG_0438.gif

IMG_0428.gif

IMG_0426.gif

THIS IS UNDER THE CAR
IMG_0434.gif

IMG_0435.gif

Anyone have any reason as to why It might be leaking and it is has/had happend to you? :shrug:
Thanks guys

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
my 04 has a power steering leak but very, very small (not dripping, just wet), also not at the same location as yours.

mine's at the bolt attaching the pump to the block/front cover area. i'm just keeping an eye on it.

go get that thing repaired man!

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Yea I'm dropping her off Monday to get fixed :bash:
I hope it can get done somewhhat quickly because I really don't like leaving my car at the dealership (who does?)
Also I had a question for anyone who might know:
Can I still drive the car a little bit with the leak? I have more fluid that I can refill it when it goes down but Saturday there is an event going on that I wanted to bring my car to.. Thx guys :beer:

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Thats what I was thinking, I only want to drive it Saturday for like 2-3 hours.
I still dont know how/why this happened? All of a sudden the car has this major leak that wasn't there from a couple days ago when I last checked everything? :shrug:

Well atleast its this and not something real serious like a blown motor..

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Just remember...as I'm sure you are aware...this fluid is also used for your power brakes. You don't want to lose those unexpectedly.

rodthrower

Established Member
I haven't heard of this before, but FWIW, I have noticed that the fluid level seems to be right at the MIN mark in most every car from the factory. It probably doesn't take much fluid loss to quickly be dangerously low...

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Oh Im sorry I forgot to update this thread :bash:

The dealer completley fixed and replaced everything under warranty! :beer:

PARALYZER

Unatural Aspirations
Established Member
Yeah, I had the same thing...car only had 2000 miles on it, one day after I had a new pulley on it. So I could not take it to the dealer. Ended up being an O-ring on the bolt you have in your pic. Cost less than a dollar to fix. Thank goodness.

Jgruggs

Established Member
Took my 03 in for a small leak at the bottom of the pump where hose goes in. Course they didn't have it in stock so gotta take it back when the pump comes in, will be repaired under warranty which runs out in June. Also had them look at pass. side front strut which had a small amount of oil running down the side that I cleaned off back in Oct. and hasn't come back yet. Just my luck , it will probably start leaking again after June. Should have taken it in back then but just haven't driven the car that much and cleaned her up for a car show. Thinkin bout dripping some oil down the side of the strut myself!

Users who are viewing this thread