Power steering fitting confirmation

testorossa1989

Established Member
Hope everyone's having a great weekend so far.

I need confirmation on something. While doing an oil pan gasket with the k-member lowered I noticed fluid around 2 Power Steering lines. They appear to be pushing fluid thru the fitting nut similar to a bad flare brake line leaking. Took a closer look and found both lines (#4 & #5 on diagram image) had play/wiggle at the base of the nut fitting and pushed fluid out the back of the fitting when I did this. I confirmed the Fitting nuts to be tight but the hoses/tube still had significant play at the fitting base

I think I may know the issue but wanted to ask those who are more versed than I. Ford workshop manual references some lines to have "Seal Rings" at Fittings end requiring a special too. I'm suspecting if that's the case, that mine disintegrated allowing line movement at the Fitting ends. Can anyone confirm/verify if Fitting #4 & #5 in the uploaded diagram have these "Seal Rings". And if so, am I able to just replace the seal instead of purchasing the entire replacement line. I'd remove the line but I'm trying to avoid dumping my steering Reservoir on speculation.

Attachments

• 20240324_123945.jpg
    20240324_123945.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240324_122631.jpg
    20240324_122631.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240324_124226.jpg
    20240324_124226.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 22

01yellercobra

Established Member
I believe those lines always have some movement. There's a teflon washer in there that seals. It's not something I've dealt with personally, but a couple I know have replaced them and didn't need special tools.

testorossa1989

Established Member
I believe those lines always have some movement. There's a teflon washer in there that seals. It's not something I've dealt with personally, but a couple I know have replaced them and didn't need special tools.
Hmm I guess now the question is why they leaking. The car has been under repair for awhile now so it's not like I can test it for it atm. Any other thoughts

03' White Snake

Established Member
Are you sure they are actually leaking and not build up from oil changes?? That does not look like PS fluid to me.

Yes there are seals in there that can be replaced easily. The hardest part is actually getting a wrench on the fittings to remove and tighten them. Easiest way is to remove the rack from the K-member and lower toward the ground.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Are you sure they are actually leaking and not build up from oil changes?? That does not look like PS fluid to me.

Yes there are seals in there that can be replaced easily. The hardest part is actually getting a wrench on the fittings to remove and tighten them. Easiest way is to remove the rack from the K-member and lower toward the ground.
So I cleaned it all off nice nice and turned the steering column a few times. I don't immediately see anything leaking or suggesting that. Maybe I did a bit of overthinking on it.

03' White Snake

Established Member
So I cleaned it all off nice nice and turned the steering column a few times. I don't immediately see anything leaking or suggesting that. Maybe I did a bit of overthinking on it.
Check it after the car is running and the lines are pressurized too. Hopefully you are good to go though.

Users who are viewing this thread