Powder Coating the IRS - Pictures wanted

Jkay98

Established Member
So now that my IRS is all torn apart, I am thinking about sending it out to get powder coated.
I searched the forum and only came across some pictures of just one person who has had it done and it looked pretty sweet. The control arms are done as well. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?932575-What-would-you-powder-coat
My cobra is black and I was thinking of going with black, silver or red.
I would like to see what others have done and if they have had any complaints with it.

**Update 1-7-15**
Its like christmas all over again, time to unwrap my presents! I got my IRS parts back from powder coating today. I ended up going with black for everything that was black, silver for the lower A-arms and I got my subframe connectors done in a primer gray to match the underneath. I figured since I was getting my IRS done I might as well get the SFC's done as well. The total cost was $420 for I think a total of 13 pieces done in 3 different colors. I will post some more pictures once I unwrap everything but for now its too cold in my garage.
IRS PC.jpg

**Update 1-11-15** Its a warm 22 degrees out so I finally unwrapped them. Its hard to tell the difference from the silver and gray in the pictures. Also, you can see on the control arms where I ground down the casting seams, makes for a much cleaner look.
IMG_20150111_103352 (800x600).jpg
IMG_20150111_102628 (800x600).jpg
IMG_20150111_102652 (800x600).jpg
IMG_20150111_102824 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Wow that looks really nice......

I'm about to pull mine out and install the FTBR kit. I never thought about powder coating it, looks great.

What did that cost you?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Mine is enamel paint and is very durable. Not as nice as powder coat but works for me. I painted my axles too so they look mint under there. I clear coated the aluminum lowers so they will look new for years to come.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I can't say as I sold that car 1.5 years later and am on my second Silver Metallic coupe. However when I sold it 1.5 years after posting that thread, it still looked the same as when it went in the car. There were a few scratches that were inevitable with getting the IRS back in the car but they were very minor. This is something only the most OCD of people will do.

Some IRS's I've seen are just trashed from dirt, debris, and build up from the road, and mine was one of them. I would absolutely do it again if the IRS was dirty enough. It may clean up with some all purpose cleaner and a pressure washer. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to powder coat it.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I can't say as I sold that car 1.5 years later and am on my second Silver Metallic coupe. However when I sold it 1.5 years after posting that thread, it still looked the same as when it went in the car. There were a few scratches that were inevitable with getting the IRS back in the car but they were very minor. This is something only the most OCD of people will do.

Some IRS's I've seen are just trashed from dirt, debris, and build up from the road, and mine was one of them. I would absolutely do it again if the IRS was dirty enough. It may clean up with some all purpose cleaner and a pressure washer. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to powder coat it.

My car has 30k on it and well taken care of, I've lowered the IRS to install springs but didn't really pay much attention to how clean it was. I guess when I pull it out I'll make that decision.

Thanks for the info

SlowSVT

Established Member
*Bump* Update see above.

Nice work polishing the lower A-arms. I removed all the bosses left over from the casting process and removed stress risers. It removed a 1/3 of a pound on the lower A-amr and 1/2 pound off the knuckle arm. It was a bitch of a job though.

I staked my bushings in by tapping an 8-32 truss head screw all the way into the bushing to prevent it from rotating in the housing.

IRSA-armbushingsstaked_zps6aa8f715.jpg

I glued the upper A-arm bushings in place using Goop

Users who are viewing this thread