Potential in a 3V 5.0 stroker?

RaceFuel302

Established Member
Hey all,

I'm new, I know..currently Mustang-less..but I have a question.

I have an opportunity to pick up a very nice, lower mile 2008 GT Auto (premium), in great condition, for $13,500 (70,000 miles).

I don't want to go FI..I know it's the easiest way to make power on a 3V but I'm a free breathing kind of guy..that being said I will want more power out of the car.

I know Ford was originally going to release the M-6009-A46X 5.0 stroker short block but failed to do so because of a shortage of good cores (I think that was the reasoning). They said that when combined with the FRPP CNC heads, hot rod cams, intake manifold and TB it was good for 440 HP and 439 TQ on the engine dyno. I'm guessing these are gross ratings, so the actual installed HP would have been closer to 400 HP/390 TQ...?

Now they've released a 5.3 short block (in iron). My question is..what kind of power would I be looking at if that 5.3 block had CNC 3V heads, the FRPP intake manifold, throttle body, hot rod cams and LT's? Since they said the 5.0 stroker was good for 440/439..would 450-460 HP and 440 TQ be reasonable gross numbers? I'd be happy if I could get it to around 385 WHP/360 WTQ through the auto with 3.73's or 4.10's to help the auto's gearing...

I'm fairly torn because I really like the Coyote S197's, but this car is a very tempting offer...

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If the motor was setup with 13 or 14 to 1 on corn only, I could see you getting close through an auto. Would need big cams locked spinning to 7500 rpm I would bet. It will be a very soft car below 4000 rpm, but an auto would help that.

This was my setup before I went turbo.

Stock Block with Coast 9.19CR 302 Pro Street Forged Rotating Assembly with ARP Bolt & Stud & Main Studs and Side Bolts for the Main Caps Kit, GT500 Oil Pump with TSS Billet Gears, Ford Racing Stage 1 Heads, FRPP Hotrod cams. Ford Racing Billet Twin 62MM Throttle Body, Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Steeda Underdrive water pump/Crank Balancer Pulleys

BBK shorty headers, 4.10 gears

Long thread here, but some good stuff for n/a s197. No longer have to be a member to read.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46799&highlight=rev+moon

hptq.jpg

RaceFuel302

Established Member
Hmmmm...

So I guess my initial HP goals are a bit overly ambitious...

I'm wanting to keep it street happy on 91 gas..which is the best we can get here from the pumps in Southern Oregon.

I was hoping something like the 5.3 block would help make up the power without having to spin it as much since it's not a Coyote.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hmmmm...

So I guess my initial HP goals are a bit overly ambitious...

I'm wanting to keep it street happy on 91 gas..which is the best we can get here from the pumps in Southern Oregon.

I was hoping something like the 5.3 block would help make up the power without having to spin it as much since it's not a Coyote.

It is all about moving air n/a, so you have to spin it with big cams. 91 octane just will not get you there.

Beefcake on here could set you up with a very cost effective Paxton setup for 450HP at the wheels. Way cheaper than what you would have to do using bolt on's and all the work that goes with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread