Potential Class-Action Suit????

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
I was just reading in Iron Fist Lead Foot about the "Terminator"
program that in the second year of production (2004) the gas
guzzling penalty was lifted from the Cobra.

It seems to me that those people who bought the Cobra in 2003
and had to pay a gas guzzling charge are entitled to getting
their money back since the 2003 Terminator powertrain spec
remained exactly the same between the two production years.

This sounds to me to be a potential class-action suit against
either Ford or the dealers or both parties.

This is a pretty substantial amount the 2003 Cobra buyers
seem entitled to get refunded back. I know my gas-guzzle
charge was $3000.00.

What are you folks' opinions about this? Has there been any
action taken already or is a new class-action suit warranted?

TrickStang37

Established Member
also, the dealers or ford don't come up with these taxes. sue the government if you want, but this idea seems frivolous.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
TrickStang37 said:
also, the dealers or ford don't come up with these taxes. sue the government if you want, but this idea seems frivolous.

Why do you think it is frivolous - somebody took what many would consider to be quite a chunk of money from folks who bought the 03 Cobra for a penalty that was revoked less than a year later on the same design?

If $3000 is frivolous to you then how about sending me a check for that amount out of your bank account and we'll see just how fast your "frivolous" statement changes.

Juruense

Banned
Damn I thought this thread was going to be about head tick or PTW clearance.

No way is Uncle Sam giving you back your gas guzzler tax.

//thread

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sonic Blue GT said:
Why do you think it is frivolous - somebody took what many would consider to be quite a chunk of money from folks who bought the 03 Cobra for a penalty that was revoked less than a year later on the same design?

If $3000 is frivolous to you then how about sending me a check for that amount out of your bank account and we'll see just how fast your "frivolous" statement changes.
As stated above, the 2004 is not the "same design" as the 2003, because changes were made to the exhaust system, and, I believe, to the ECU. Which resulted in a slight improvement in the fuel economy figures. Plain and simple the tax is added by the government if the car doesn't meet certain fuel economy levels. The tax is perfectly legal for the 2003s. So there is absolutely no grounds for a lawsuit against Ford or the government. I would agree, though, that Ford probably could have had the necessary changes to put the 2003 Cobra within the federal guidelines to eliminate any tax. And yes, changes made for the 2004 Cobra resulted in no gas guzzler tax for that model year. By the way, you would be complaining even more if you bought the GT-500. Because it has a $1,300. gas-guzzler tax added.

Here is an explanation on a government website.

What is the Gas Guzzler Tax?

The Energy Tax Act of 1978 established a Gas Guzzler Tax on the sale of new model year vehicles whose fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels. The gas guzzler tax applies only to cars (not trucks) and is collected by the IRS.

The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value. The purpose of the Gas Guzzler Tax is to discourage the production and purchase of fuel inefficient vehicles. The amount of any applicable Gas Guzzler Tax paid by the manufacturer will be disclosed on the automobile's fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).

GAS GUZZLER TAX
Unadjusted MPG (combined)* Tax
at least 22.5 No tax
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5 $1000
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5 $1300
at least 19.5, but less than 20.5 $1700
at least 18.5, but less than 19.5 $2100
at least 17.5, but less than 18.5 $2600
at least 16.5, but less than 17.5 $3000
at least 15.5, but less than 16.5 $3700
at least 14.5, but less than 15.5 $4500
at least 13.5, but less than 14.5 $5400
at least 12.5, but less than 13.5 $6400
less than 12.5 $7700

* The combined fuel economy MPG value (55% city, 45% highway) is used to determine tax liability. The MPG value is also adjusted slightly to account for differences in test procedures made since the base year, but it is not adjusted for in-use short fall. The unadjusted combined MPG of a vehicle can be approximated from the city and highway values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide and on this website by the following equation:

(1/(.495/City MPG + .351/Highway MPG)) + .15

Since this is an approximate calculation, the actual gas guzzler tax may be off by one tax bracket.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
you realize that if you're part of a succesful class action that you would receive about $0.04 on $3k, right? whenever the lawyers get involved, everyone else loses.

and read your window sticker again. it clearly states $1k gas guzzler tax, not $3k.

Juruense

Banned
Oh, I did not realize you wanted me to Google your question, get a documented information source, and then report it back to you. Perhaps I will do that later....

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Kilgore Trout said:
Oh, I did not realize you wanted me to Google your question, get a documented information source, and then report it back to you. Perhaps I will do that later....
ok smart guy.:rollseyes I wasnt looking for sarcasm.
Any yahoo can simply say "no thats not how it is." I was just asking if you had any proof, or a bill that you knew of.... I never asked you to fax or email it to me. I'm not expecting a fedex package with documents in it. It was a simple question... sheesh

CantDrv55

Banned
Hello..welcome to America..sue as many people as you can..it's the American way!:rollseyes

And if you paid $3k for the gas guzzler tax, maybe you should be suing your dealership for ripping you off, or the OB/GYN who dropped you on your head at birth.:kaboom: As stated above, the tax is $1k, not $3k.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
ShelbyGuy said:
you realize that if you're part of a succesful class action that you would receive about $0.04 on $3k, right? whenever the lawyers get involved, everyone else loses.

and read your window sticker again. it clearly states $1k gas guzzler tax, not $3k.

Well I have mine sitting right in front of me and it says $3000.00.

Last edited:

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
SickBlackMach said:
ok smart guy.:rollseyes I wasnt looking for sarcasm.
Any yahoo can simply say "no thats not how it is." I was just asking if you had any proof, or a bill that you knew of.... I never asked you to fax or email it to me. I'm not expecting a fedex package with documents in it. It was a simple question... sheesh

SickBlackMach - I understand your frustration with the kinds of responses coming from members on this board lately. They all act like their sh_it doesn't stink around here. I was warned before I joined SVTP that memebers here had a very bad reputation for being rude and ignorant. It has certainly started to show lately.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
CantDrv55 said:
Hello..welcome to America..sue as many people as you can..it's the American way!:rollseyes

And if you paid $3k for the gas guzzler tax, maybe you should be suing your dealership for ripping you off, or the OB/GYN who dropped you on your head at birth.:kaboom: As stated above, the tax is $1k, not $3k.

Well I have mine sitting right in front of me and it says $3000.00. So is there any other smartass remark you want to make or is cutting up people your only way to feel good about yourself?

ViciousJay

Established Member
i remember going to look at a car in 04 off the showroom floor and the gas tax was still on there :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread