Post your weight reduction list 2011+

SCalla1384

Established Member
Op I'm in the same position. Looking to do some weight reduction. But more so swap out the weight vs hurting the drivability.

How much do the axle weights weigh and what do they do? Will it affect anything? I didn't even know the axles had weights.

So far ill be doing tubular k, tubular a arms, alum d/s, tubular radiator support, tubular LCA'S, 15" rears, 17" front SVE Drag wheels (track) remove front sway bar (track), possibly front and rear tubular bumper supports, then I may try to get a set of recaro's. idk if I want to though.

I think all that would probably be close to 200-250lbs, and most of it isn't taking away from the car. Just replacing it.

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Update:

So, I went to the track for shake down passes yesterday after doing some of the mods.

For the track, I did the following weight reduction:

Before going:

passenger seat
rear seats, upper and lower
hood blanket
empty trunk including spare, jack etc.

First pass of the day, I run a 12.10 already faster than my best pass in my pullied only Cobra. I hot lapped it for a 12.26, so decided to cool it down, ice the intake.

Now 11's were within reach and my buddies where there, so we got serious:

Removed Strut tower brace
removed driver seat and borrowed an RCI bucket
removed axle weights
5.0 engine intake cover
not much washer fluid was in there.
removed just about anything loose in the console and glove box
I was still on over quarter tank of gas

I still have NOT removed the front sway bar, I also have NOT installed the DS yet. Car was running Race Star big and little.

BOOM 11.92 @ 115! Thank you Brenspeed! backed that up with an 11.97 and then packed up to go have dinner.

Here is the vid, still more weight reduction that can be done.

Corey's 2012 Mustang GT Auto First Time In The 11's 11.92 @ 115.3 - YouTube

Last edited:

nordy racer

Established Member
The Front bumper is 8 bolts and cut out the 8 spots they are pinch welded on. The rear bumper is just 8 bolts.

i'm thinking about just doing the front to free up wiehgt over the the front end and leaving the back to help hook..

twistedneck

Established Member
MMR carbon fiber trunk lid
Tiger racing hood
Sound insulating material under carpet
Lithium ion battery
Coil over shocks
Hardcore - Remove ac pump, condenser, canister, hoses and plumbing
Hardcore - carbon fiber door cards (door panels) - convert windows to hand crank.

Edit:
Who makes carbon fiber doors? and do they come with manual cranks? That would be a huge weight save.
Carbon fiber fenders? re-paint may cost $ but that's not part of this discussion.

There must be more for those guys to get race weight to 3000 with driver on NA applications. 3200 for S/C race setups with cages.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread