20240225_201512928_iOS.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 47

Cobra Therapy

Established Member

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Killer setup, @Vinnie_B. Well done! That intake looks ready to swallow squirrels and stray cats. LOL.
That engine pic was from KB site. Not my engine. I do have the exact setup thou in the SS. I'm nudging @2011 gtcs to go KB. Whipple makes a great SC but can't touch a KB SC whine....You can't go wrong with either. Both are badass American made products.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Do it

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I'm probably going to pull my Gen3 TVS and put it up for sale this summer, once it sells I'll grab a Winkle blue 3.0 whipple
Screenshot_20240318_201456_Chrome.jpg

Dude........Its calling you! KB all the way!

manny-galvan-shelby-gt500-26-scaled.jpg
I want a 4.2KB, but I don't really have the extra cash for a new hood, plus paint, I'm still pissed my 1000 hood was a bust.
That engine pic was from KB site. Not my engine. I do have the exact setup thou in the SS. I'm nudging @2011 gtcs to go KB. Whipple makes a great SC but can't touch a KB SC whine....You can't go wrong with either. Both are badass American made products.
That's mustang Mannys engine bay, his GT500 is absolutely nuts, he has a 4.7KB now
Screenshot_20240318_201753_Instagram.jpg

Gen 6 3.8 vs LC 4.2?
Tough decision I’ll eventually make but for now the TVS works!
-J
If I had a super snake I would do a 4.2KB.
Some nice looking cars in these last few posts

Ya know you want to go KB 4.2L J........just think of all of that power potential
4.2KB would be my go too as well.

Bad Company

Established Member
4.2KB would be my go too as well.
I've been going back and forth on whether to upgrade to a 4.7. What is my reasoning for this? Right now to achieve 2580 CFM of air flow out of the 4.2L it needs to turn 17400RPM at 7500 engine RPM. I'm hoping this nets enough airflow for 1500Hp. This SC RPM requires a 15% overdrive lower with a 3.5" upper. Now the interesting thing is this and what makes me think a 4.7 might be a better choice for my application. The 4.7 can produce 2536CFM using the 15% overdrive lower with a 4" upper at 7500 engine RPM and 15281 SC RPM for very close to the same CFM output.

Now the question is this..........does it take less Hp to turn the 4.7 slow(15281) versus turning the 4.2 close to maximum SC RPM(17400) for the same amount of airflow?

Now the next question is this...........will the168mm Mono-blade Throttle Body which has a flow rating of 2150 CFM limit the total airflow of either SC to the point that it really doesn't matter which SC to use?

Now my third big question is this............will the extra rotational mass of the 4.7 turning slower hurt torque and Hp output versus a 4.2? This question is very similar to the first one.

The answers really come down to which SC takes less energy and is more efficient to turn for the same airflow output. My thoughts are this, when you eliminate the Throttle Body question I believe the 4.7 would have the advantage. Now the other advantage to the 4.7 is it gives you the ability to turn it faster by changing upper pulleys, whereas I have to turn the 4.2 above the SC recommended max speeds to get anymore airflow. The other downside is to go faster in SC speed requires going to much smaller upper pulley which have less belt surface area to keep the belt from slipping.

The only thing keeping me from upgrading is the extra $4100 it requires to give it a try. If the inlet elbows are the same on a 4.2 and a 4.7 I can answer the question in the future easily if it really bothers me too much.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been going back and forth on whether to upgrade to a 4.7. What is my reasoning for this? Right now to achieve 2580 CFM of air flow out of the 4.2L it needs to turn 17400RPM at 7500 engine RPM. I'm hoping this nets enough airflow for 1500Hp. This SC RPM requires a 15% overdrive lower with a 3.5" upper. Now the interesting thing is this and what makes me think a 4.7 might be a better choice for my application. The 4.7 can produce 2536CFM using the 15% overdrive lower with a 4" upper at 7500 engine RPM and 15281 SC RPM for very close to the same CFM output.

Now the question is this..........does it take less Hp to turn the 4.7 slow(15281) versus turning the 4.2 close to maximum SC RPM(17400) for the same amount of airflow?

Now the next question is this...........will the168mm Mono-blade Throttle Body which has a flow rating of 2150 CFM limit the total airflow of either SC to the point that it really doesn't matter which SC to use?

Now my third big question is this............will the extra rotational mass of the 4.7 turning slower hurt torque and Hp output versus a 4.2? This question is very similar to the first one.

The answers really come down to which SC takes less energy and is more efficient to turn for the same airflow output. My thoughts are this, when you eliminate the Throttle Body question I believe the 4.7 would have the advantage. Now the other advantage to the 4.7 is it gives you the ability to turn it faster by changing upper pulleys, whereas I have to turn the 4.2 above the SC recommended max speeds to get anymore airflow. The other downside is to go faster in SC speed requires going to much smaller upper pulley which have less belt surface area to keep the belt from slipping.

The only thing keeping me from upgrading is the extra $4100 it requires to give it a try. If the inlet elbows are the same on a 4.2 and a 4.7 I can answer the question in the future easily if it really bothers me too much.
Your knowledge always blows me away lol, I enjoy how much you go into detail on everything.
Do you currently know how much power the car is making with the new engine? And will you be street driving it a lot/going to car shows? Or will it be more of a texas mile kinda car. Don't get me wrong, It would be badass to lay down 1,500whp, but at the same time, 1000+whp on the street is a lot. I feel the 4.2 will give you everything you're looking for, but the 4.7 will do it that much better. But like you said, is it worth the extra money.
....................Logical choice, considering the cam cover color..

You're the reason I want a wrinkle blue whipple, I love your engine bay set.

Bad Company

Established Member
Your knowledge always blows me away lol, I enjoy how much you go into detail on everything.
Do you currently know how much power the car is making with the new engine? And will you be street driving it a lot/going to car shows? Or will it be more of a texas mile kinda car. Don't get me wrong, It would be badass to lay down 1,500whp, but at the same time, 1000+whp on the street is a lot. I feel the 4.2 will give you everything you're looking for, but the 4.7 will do it that much better. But like you said, is it worth the extra money.

You're the reason I want a wrinkle blue whipple, I love your engine bay set.
I don't know if it is knowledge or obsession LOL

Car is currently producing 1070 on pump 93 and 1208 on pump E85. The car isn;t really that bad to drive at these power levels. It is a lot of fun and is easy to manage tire spin believe it or not.

The one thing that I do know that the 4.7L will have as an advantage is that it will not generate as much heat in the air as it flows through the SC. Also the rotors/compressor pack won't get as hot turning slower. I also realize after much discussion with Shawn that with the bypass/wastegate system he installs that the boost numbers at 2700 CFM of SC output that he can limit boost down low enough with the throttle blade wide open to around 6-7 psi. This can't be done with a bypass valve and a low vacuum signal at the TB with the standard KB bypass valve with the TB wide open(foot flat on the floor), you'll have all of the boost and airflow going into the engine. His system allows you to program boost like a turbocharger set up. So going to the bigger SC isn't a concern with pump 93 and driving on the street. To drive a 4.7L on the street took at least pump E85 in the past with a bypass valve. I can literally program the MoTec to only produce 600-700 Hp at the tires if that is all I want to drive to a car show or to the grocery store if the mood strikes me on the street. Shawn is really trying to get me to go to a 4.9, but I can't see the advantages being high enough. The jumps in airflow for a 1/8" upper pulley change are 80CFM. I also feel the TB will really start to become to restrictive, unless you go to a dual 106mm TB or even something bigger. The lowest amount of CFM output of a 4.9 with a 15% overdriver lower and a 4" upper is 2644 CFM, whereas the 4.7 will be 2536 CFM or I can change the upper to a 3 7/8" for 2618 CFM. I don't know if a 4.9 is worth it, but the kicker is it is only $200 more than a 4.7. What cha say everyone.........4.7 or 4.9????? LOL

My plans have always been since I started modifying the car to go to The Mile, the reason for it taking so long is after the engine failure the car has spent a very long time getting the engine rebuilt. During this time my wife's health degraded to the point where her doctors have for the last 3 years given her a 30% chance of passing away. Covid, her weak immune system and the sum of all of her health problems keep her home 99% of the time. She has asked me not to take the car to The Mile out of fear, fear that I'll get hurt and no one is here to take care of her and fear that if I get hurt and I need care she won't be able to provide it, so the car keeps evolving to a faster version of itself. I would think she'd allow me to go if I stop at the 200mph mark, which would probably take a full weekend event to achieve that in licensing anyway. She has been in a car with me in the distant past to 145-148 so I hope striving to go faster in a car with all of the safety precautions will ease her mind.

Yes I agree, the blue crinkle Whipple finish on that car looks very impressive under the hood

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread