Post Blown FRPS Issues

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
So last weekend my car died while idling. Threw a code for FRPS, pulled the vacuum hose and sure enough fuel. So I towed the car home where she sat for the week. This Saturday I pulled the plugs, and ziptied the throttle open (could smell fuel in the intake) and went and did errands. I replaced the FRPS, new plugs (tighter gap) and oil change. When I started it she died. I held the throttle open a little a tried again, it started but was running super rich (.7 lambda). No FRPS code this time. Any thoughts? The FRPS I got from from Advanced Auto, I have a Motorcraft one on the way to eliminate that as a source.

Fuel System Info: Fore return system 2x 267 pumps, deadhead style, ID 1050x, FRPS is kept obviously, e85.

Seemed odd the FRPS went at all with a return style...

Thinking of putting new O2s in, I had just replaced them but sitting in an e85 soaked pipe for a week could have killed them.

P.S. New motocraft o2s from the dealer are definetly Bosch. The front and rear list the same now too. Think I might just pick up some NTK.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
My buddy blew a FRPS and filled the whole intake up with fuel. I think he told me he hit the inertia switch and the car actually fired up and ran for almost a minute before dying. I guess where I'm going with this is they can really fill themselve full of fuel when the FRPS pops.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
My buddy blew a FRPS and filled the whole intake up with fuel. I think he told me he hit the inertia switch and the car actually fired up and ran for almost a minute before dying. I guess where I'm going with this is they can really fill themselve full of fuel when the FRPS pops.

Huh, maybe I'll pull the fuse and crank away. Worth a try I suppose I only ran it for 15-30 seconds when I saw the lambda I shut off. Nervous about washing the cylinder's with that A/F.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Update:
Looks like @cj428mach was right I was just chickening out. Got a new Motorcraft sensor for piece of mind, turned her over and kept it running with a little throttle. Started to see the lambda on the windband move towards 1.0 and back to normal now.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
I'm surprised the fuel pressure sensor blew on a return system! I moved last year from sea level to 6,000 feet after a rebuild of my engine that increased boost/power. As a result of the above, I started blowing fuel pressure sensors. To eliminate the problem, I had a return fuel system installed approx. 2 months ago. So far, so good.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting. I guess I was under the impression that blowing a frps is super rare when running a return fuel system.

Hmm, so now I need to throw one back in the glove box?

03' White Snake

Established Member
You can also hold the gas pedal down to the floor and it will shit off the injectors. Then you can crank away. I had to do that for 45 seconds one time for the car to finally run after blowing a frps.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Interesting. I guess I was under the impression that blowing a frps is super rare when running a return fuel system.

Hmm, so now I need to throw one back in the glove box?

I think it is rare, probably a maintenance oversight on my part and not much more. 100k+ miles and e85 still returnless, sat for a year on the rails in a box during a build. Wouldn't look too much into it, 10y/100k add mods and fuel it wasn't designed for seems reasonable. Readings at the reg, and rail are good on the logs so I'm not going too crazy, think the fuel system is ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread