Possibly Moving to Florida Tampa Area

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Tampa area guys. I might be moving to Florida for a job opportunity. What are some nice safe areas to live within 30 to 45 minutes of Tampa? Preferably more inland. Thanks.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Well, you could checkout Wesley Chapel which is north-east of Tampa. It's mostly highway but can get congested during rush hour (like anywhere else in Tampa really). I haven't lived there but it seems like the kind of place I'd like to live in and away from fast life.

Last edited:

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Check out Lutz in the north part of Hillsborough county. Very quiet and rural with a lot of subdivisions. Also Land O' Lakes next to Lutz and Wesley Chapel just to the east of LOL in Pasco county. Wesley Chapel and New Tampa are nice but traffic on I-75 and Bruce B. Downs Blvd. is pretty bad. A little to the west, you'll find Odessa and Keystone which are also rural with a few subdivisions and very quiet and not as many cars. If you want to go more inland, check out Polk co. and the Lakeland area.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Concerned about hurricances and the resulting flooding mostly.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm willing to check out all possibilities.
Thanks

Eh it's not that big of a difference in 20 miles or so. Any more and you're looking at a long drive time.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out Lutz in the north part of Hillsborough county. Very quiet and rural with a lot of subdivisions. Also Land O' Lakes next to Lutz and Wesley Chapel just to the east of LOL in Pasco county. Wesley Chapel and New Tampa are nice but traffic on I-75 and Bruce B. Downs Blvd. is pretty bad. A little to the west, you'll find Odessa and Keystone which are also rural with a few subdivisions and very quiet and not as many cars. If you want to go more inland, check out Polk co. and the Lakeland area.

Thanks man appreciate the info!

im4darush

Established Member
I live up in land o lakes and moved there from NJ about 8 years ago. 30 minutes to downtown or the airport if there is no traffic. Quiet and inland. PM me if you need more info.

BMR Tech

I reside in Trinity/NPR area. (east of New Port Richey)

My commute to my office here, is about 50 minutes each way.

I am a fan of my area, it is nice and quiet, and the people are great.

If I move, which my wife and I have discussed (due to wanting more land / storage / toys)....I will likely end up in the Odessa area on a lake, or further up North off I75 in the San Antonio area.

LOL, Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Odessa, Upper New Tampa - definitely, IMO, the best places to reside in the TB Area...if commuting to Tampa for work.

lowfast

Hmm... You Don't Say
Established Member
Good info. The family and I are also looking at the possibility of moving down to Tampa mid this year, although we would be in South Tampa closer to the airport and Hospital. It would be great to hear thoughts from those who live in and around Tampa how they like the place in general.

BMR Tech

^ My wife and I are from Dallas Texas.

It took us a solid 5-6 years to start liking it here. Although we believe it would be a better place to raise our kids, in Texas, we really like this area now. It takes a while, but it will grow on you. You have to really grab ahold of the "pros"....to look past the cons, which there are many of, in our opinions.

BMR Tech

^ I like certain areas of Pinellas as well.

It is a little too congested for me, though.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
I lived in Pinellas co. for 4 yrs. and wouldn't live there again. Home owners insurance is way higher in Pinellas than it's in Hillsborough co. mostly because it's closer to the water (hurricanes). Also the new higher cost mandatory flood insurance is going to bankrupt a lot of people over there too because of the possibility of flooding in a lot of areas of Pinellas co. Also there are fewer fast moving roads so it takes longer to get from point A to point B with a lot of traffic and stop and go, not to forget the snowbirds crowding the roads too.

sleepermobile2

Established Member
I live in Michigan but I'm in Florida for 5 months... I'm living in odessa / land O lakes area, 54 and the TOLL rd 589.. The traffic is horrible, it puts me into a bad mood daily. There's toll roads everywhere that cost 3-7 bucks every time I go to Tampa and back, which is pretty close, 20 miles??? I can say I have seen more auto accidents in a week here than I have in a YEAR in Detroit area, that's NO joke. People drive 75 in 50 mph zones everywhere and rear end accidents EVERYWHERE..... I promise you the traffic is something to consider...... I lived in California for 30 years and Detroit area for 15, I can't remember being so mad driving.......... The area is very nice, its actually pretty quiet. The beaches are beautiful, the sunsets are UNREAL. If you like to eat out, there's GREAT food everywhere. There's plenty of drag strips here if your into that? Bradenton motorsports seemed great. There's showtime drag strip pretty much rite in Tampa 1/8 mile track, seemed to suck but lots of people there, I could be wrong. Tampa fl seems a lot like California to me, lots of people, lots of immigrants, fast paced concrete jungle. Maybe I'm just a Michigan hillbilly.......

im4darush

Established Member
I live in Michigan but I'm in Florida for 5 months... I'm living in odessa / land O lakes area, 54 and the TOLL rd 589.. The traffic is horrible, it puts me into a bad mood daily. There's toll roads everywhere that cost 3-7 bucks every time I go to Tampa and back, which is pretty close, 20 miles??? I can say I have seen more auto accidents in a week here than I have in a YEAR in Detroit area, that's NO joke. People drive 75 in 50 mph zones everywhere and rear end accidents EVERYWHERE..... I promise you the traffic is something to consider...... I lived in California for 30 years and Detroit area for 15, I can't remember being so mad driving.......... The area is very nice, its actually pretty quiet. The beaches are beautiful, the sunsets are UNREAL. If you like to eat out, there's GREAT food everywhere. There's plenty of drag strips here if your into that? Bradenton motorsports seemed great. There's showtime drag strip pretty much rite in Tampa 1/8 mile track, seemed to suck but lots of people there, I could be wrong. Tampa fl seems a lot like California to me, lots of people, lots of immigrants, fast paced concrete jungle. Maybe I'm just a Michigan hillbilly.......

Been here 10 years and don't agree at all. No different than any other place.

Users who are viewing this thread