Possibly making a move to GERMANY

wildaries83

Established Member
Well yesterday I had an interview working some IT stuff out in Germany. The area is Stuttgart. If it goes through, it would be a great step in my career. Not only do I get to go out of the US and visit some other places, but advancement opportunities could be very good. I been doing a lot of research about the area, and was wondering if anyone is in the area that could verify some information for me.

First is animals, dogs to be specific. I know getting dogs over there you need to have a good health exam and rabbies all within a certain time. However, one of my dogs is a Doberman. From what I believe, she does not fall into the class 2 ordeal because this area does not have such a thing with dogs?

Second I am contemplating on selling all vehicles and probably just going public transportation. I have read this is the most common method of travel and your pets are even welcome to go with you on trains and such. Anyone have experience with this?

Third If you have a realtor showing you houses you can literaly pay 3x the amount of rent, is there some way to avoid this?

Thanks for any input!

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
You don't need a car in Europe. The public trans stomps the shit out of America. I'm not sure what you're getting at in terms of housing, but know, it's very expensive. You're not renting a house for 1k a month. I'd do it in a heartbeat. You're only here on this earth for a minute. Germany has a very good economy as opposed to somewhere like Italy. It's very clean too.

I haven't lived in Europe but I've been enough times to have a bearing on life. I'm actually typing this from a bar in Budapest!

wildaries83

Established Member
You don't need a car in Europe. The public trans stomps the shit out of America. I'm not sure what you're getting at in terms of housing, but know, it's very expensive. You're not renting a house for 1k a month. I'd do it in a heartbeat. You're only here on this earth for a minute. Germany has a very good economy as opposed to somewhere like Italy. It's very clean too.

I haven't lived in Europe but I've been enough times to have a bearing on life. I'm actually typing this from a bar in Budapest!

The housing ordeal, I guess I could have made that a little more clear. When you have a realtor show you around and you decide on the a house. From what I am seeing is you could end up paying the realtor 3x the amount of rent for him to just SHOW you the house.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
I just left Berlin yesterday and am an American living in the Netherlands. First, find the craigslist equivalent for housing in Germany. There is numerous sites in the Netherlands so I am sure it is the same in Germany.

Americans always will say Europe's public transportation blows the US out of the water but it's mixed. I commute to work on the train but me and my girlfriend both have cars. I got one as I enjoy driving to much and honestly felt like I was losing a part of myself when I only had a bike, public transportation and my girlfriend's pitifully slow 2002 Ford Fiesta to drive around in. It was unnecessary to purchase but I had the funds and parking for it so it was worth it for me. Also after my drive to and from Berlin.... "Dat Autobahn doe!" <33333. It was a blast, I was going 240km/h for extended periods of time and it was a blast. I was doing it with an Audi RS6 Avant in front of me, and a Porsche Panamera S behind me (had know idea who they were but drove with both for over 2 hours)

Regarding the dog situation, don't hold me to this but dogs that are considered aggressive do have to be muzzled when they are walked so check into that to see if your dog qualifies. If it does, find a place with a yard and you won't have a problem.

In the Netherlands, literally 95% of people speak good enough English that you feel like your in the US but speaking to people with a weird accent and hearing a different language in the background constantly. I found the people in Germany and when I lived in Austria (I lived there for six months) did not speak nearly as much English or as well. It was occasionally frustrating but I would definitely take a class and attempt to learn German.

Lastly, I would definitely do it if you can. I find too many people that immediately surrounded me (friends, family, etc.) could not understand why I would want to leave "the greatest country in the world.... 'Mericuh" but my lifestyle and things I enjoy are no different here then they were in the US, and my quality of life/freedom is no different here either. Get out and see the world it is so worth it. It is better to have tried and failed and just go back to the US then not going because you're a chicken shit and end up spending your whole life saying "what if...."

Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to PM. I can help as best I can.

Stanger00

Established Member
I

You even know what the hell you're talking about?

I would ask the company to help you with finding housing within the area near your place of work. I found I could rent older vehicles for weeks or months at a time for a relatively low price until I got used to the area. It's really not that hard to live out there and nearly everyone speaks English as well. I'm one of those military types who has lived there for a couple years. I have been to some places where some older folks didn't speak English so you would need to learn the basics and Rosetta stone will get that done for you.

Last edited:

texaswrx

Established Member
Good luck with your move. My information is outdated as I left around 1992-93, after 4 years in service and close to two as a civilian. I worked for the Air Force as a civilian in K-Town (Kaiserslautern) after being discharged in 1991 from the Army. I was able to use my girlfriends car, so I can't say much there. The public transport was fine, but I always had a cheap car while in the service. And as others have said, learn the laguage basics. The farther you get away from any large bases or cities, the less likely people are to speak english well.

nxhappy

Established Member
I say if you are single and no family, go for it. Only downside .....Europe is EXPENSIVE. As in , you better make 2x the money for your new job.

wildaries83

Established Member
Well to answer some questions, I am married, no kids but a couple dogs. Obviously one being a doberman. From what I have found I don't think Stuttgart has the animal ordeal in regards to classes of levels. So I am thinking I am good on that part though I do not know for sure. I do not know if the company will help with housing. I guess for military and retired military the realtor showing houses is free. However, I guess this does not apply to contractor or veteran. I am a veteran. Not exactly sure how all that is going to work out. On a positive note. Got an email this morning stating that the interview went well, to go to their website, and put in my application!!!!! Moving forward, getting crazy excited!!

A side question about Security clearances. I already have my TS. The position requires TS/SCI. The SCI is not a polygraph but the 5 year review process as opposed to 10. I am curious if anyone has gone through this? I am by no means worried about getting it but, I have heard that the process is incredibly long?

Stanger00

Established Member
Well to answer some questions, I am married, no kids but a couple dogs. Obviously one being a doberman. From what I have found I don't think Stuttgart has the animal ordeal in regards to classes of levels. So I am thinking I am good on that part though I do not know for sure. I do not know if the company will help with housing. I guess for military and retired military the realtor showing houses is free. However, I guess this does not apply to contractor or veteran. I am a veteran. Not exactly sure how all that is going to work out. On a positive note. Got an email this morning stating that the interview went well, to go to their website, and put in my application!!!!! Moving forward, getting crazy excited!!

A side question about Security clearances. I already have my TS. The position requires TS/SCI. The SCI is not a polygraph but the 5 year review process as opposed to 10. I am curious if anyone has gone through this? I am by no means worried about getting it but, I have heard that the process is incredibly long?

You will or should get a CAC card if you will be a contractor. I got one but I only got privileges to the stores and post office.

The website I listed let's you look up pictures of houses and what not. You don't need a realtor unless you really feel it's necessary.

Most contractors I knew had help from the company or co-workers when it came to places to live. They know what it's like moving to a new country and the anxiety that comes with finding a place to live.

Since you will be a contractor you may get VAT exempt privileges and fuel rations. On top of that you will be able to buy vehicles from the base lemon lot.

Good luck man. Sounds like an awesome opportunity to live in a great place with lots to do.

Edit: when I got stationed at Ramstein I got a paper list of homes that fit my criteria and called to make show time appointments with the owners. I found a place within 5 days but had to wait 3 weeks to move in.

Last edited:

wildaries83

Established Member
Just thought I would throw it out there. Got the job offer. On the down side it was 7k less than my minimum. Couldn't get any wiggle room on salary from them. However, it is still tax free up to 94k and housing paid with COLA and something else. I decided to take it as I will still see an extra 2k a month from tax free alone. Plus it's Europe!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just thought I would throw it out there. Got the job offer. On the down side it was 7k less than my minimum. Couldn't get any wiggle room on salary from them. However, it is still tax free up to 94k and housing paid with COLA and something else. I decided to take it as I will still see an extra 2k a month from tax free alone. Plus it's Europe!

I'd give it a shot.

O.W. Kenobeno

Established Member
^ This. Fully agree you'll want a car there. Public transportation is much better than in the US but it's still nice to have a car for running errands and visiting places the trains/buses don't go, or they take too long to get to. You can even get a hoopty there fairly cheap.

Stanger00

Established Member

The COLA and tax exempt status will make up for that 7k deficit. They are also paying your rent and you get a utilities stipend. Have fun.

einehund

Established Member
Ah Stuttgart.... I lived there from the beginning of 2010 through the middle of 2013... Loved it, although not as much as my time in Giessen from 2001-2004... I'll try and answer your questions...

First is animals, dogs to be specific. I know getting dogs over there you need to have a good health exam and rabbies all within a certain time. However, one of my dogs is a Doberman. From what I believe, she does not fall into the class 2 ordeal because this area does not have such a thing with dogs? I do not know much other than pit bulls are a no-no. However, the requirements to get animals to germany, and the requirements to get them from germany (to the US) are nuts. It cost me damn near a grand to get all the paperwork and vet stuff and USDA stuff for a CAT to germany and about 400 euros (600 dollars) to get said cat back. Just a damn cat. It is very common for military to leave pets behind because it is SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS.

Second I am contemplating on selling all vehicles and probably just going public transportation. I have read this is the most common method of travel and your pets are even welcome to go with you on trains and such. Anyone have experience with this? If you are a contractor, check with your company to see if you are eligible to register your vehicle through the military. This is phenominally cheaper. Public transport in Stuttgart is very good, however if you live somewhere like I did (30km's away from the base I worked at) it is not practical to ONLY rely on public transportation. The closer you are to where you work, the more practical it is. Additionally, If you end up living in an apartment downtown, the parking cost extra on top of your rent, and it is subject to the fact that some jackass may pull into your spot anyway because parking downtown Stuttgart sucks.

Third If you have a realtor showing you houses you can literaly pay 3x the amount of rent, is there some way to avoid this? The link above for the housing is exactly how me and my wife found our rowhouse off post. We didn't have to pay for a realtor. The military who are authorized to live off post can have the government pay to have a realtor find them a place... see if your company will cover the fees.

Additionally, the SCI is only a read on to whatever program you are working with.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me. I am married to a German and am fluent in German so I have a pretty good understanding of Stuttgart from my time there.

Last edited:

saleensc281

Established Member
I was stationed in Baumholder, GE from 97 to 00. First duty station so I tore it up. Did not travel much, so I regret that. Overall it was a awesome time, but I prefer living in the states.

smashedheadcat

Established Member

I live in Europe now, and while it is certainly tolerable, I think it sucks ass compared to America. Everything is expensive and not as good. Food is average at best (other than italy) and expensive. Clothes are expensive, gas is expensive, rent is ridiculous. Pretty much everything is more expensive than you're used to. If you get access to the base(s) there life will be a lot better for you. Doing the whole "euro" thing is cool for awhile, but I need a little "America" in there every now and then (preferably always).

As for the SCI, I got mine with my TS/SCI at the same time so I am not certain on how long the SCI part would take by itself. I would imagine you will get it very fast with a current TS. I had a current s clearance and the process took around 1.5 months to go to TS/SCI.

Users who are viewing this thread