possibly just blew my mt-82

clinton2003

Established Member
Who buys a mustang to drive it like a prius? If you wanted to drive 'normal', you should have gotten an SUV or minivan. The commercials show them doing burnouts, donuts, and drag racing to me, that is "normal" for a mustang. The MT82 should hold up to some kind of abuse, not break as quickly as they do.

I 100% agree

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
for the record the car has 2300 miles, i bet 2230 of them have been with my 2 year old in the car just calm rides, I took it for a couple beat runs a handful of times. nothing like i have beaten my cars in the past.
I plan on doing 5k rpm clutch dumps with sticky tires and powershifts next track season. thats why im not going to even bother with this trans. even if the new one is great, I have made up my mind on the magnum.

hand-filer

Established Member
i drove mine like a raped ape and it held up to everything... i think its a lack of understanding how to drive this trans correctly that doesnt help

100% agree with this. Personally I'd rather rebuild and upgrade an MT-82 than go with the magnum.

Last edited:

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
100% agree with this. Personally I'd rather rebuild and upgrade an MT-82 than go with the magnum.

to each there own. My problem with that idea is the money I would have to spend on what i consider a flawed design. Even with mine getting fixed under warranty, I would have to do a drive shaft. $700+- clutch mcleod $1000+- flywheel $500 +- shifter (i already have) $390 fluid swap, no idea on cost, clutch line $70
roughly 2600-2700 dollars later not including labor or posible motor and trans mounts I still have an mt-82 that has a semi remote shifter that i will now worry about exploding
To me it makes the magnum at 5k for everything needed not sound so bad. especially if I sell my mt82.
everyone has different opinions and seems some people have great luck with the mt82. I sure have not, and I hate having to worry about weak links

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
When you enter into the realm of high hp and torque, you want a solid drive train, and for me the Tremec Magnum is the best option. The mt-82 can only withstand what its engineered to, and so long as you stay in that hp or torque range most will be fine. Once you step out of its range your on barrowed time. It may last 5k 10k 15k but eventually it will break. With the tremec I'm getting a tranny engineered to manhandle the power level I'm at. So its an easy choice!

Last edited:

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
got it back from the dealer on thursday with the new trans, night and day difference, mine was obviously a bad unit from day 1. went to the track friday night and had zero clutch sticking adn zero lockouts, just 3 perfect passes ( except for wheel spin) So i can see with my own experience that there are good and bad units. I had every common problem with my first one and no problems with this one yet.

Now its time to save for the magnum.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have been luck I guess so far. 30k plus miles with just under last 11k over 600whp. Still on stock clutch. Never tracked, but I do get on it regularly. I had a t56 in my gto and if I drove this the same way my shifter would come off in my hand. Open palm 1,3,5 2-3 finger pull back 2,4,6. Works great for me with mgw.

mystickb1996

Established Member
You defiantly have the right idea on how to shift this trans.. Made a ngt and day difference when open palm shifting it. Doesn't like to be forced that's for sure, are a lot of you having the clutch only coming half way up? This is happening a lot on my 2014 and I'm shifting at 68-6900.
I have been luck I guess so far. 30k plus miles with just under last 11k over 600whp. Still on stock clutch. Never tracked, but I do get on it regularly. I had a t56 in my gto and if I drove this the same way my shifter would come off in my hand. Open palm 1,3,5 2-3 finger pull back 2,4,6. Works great for me with mgw.

poof100

Established Member
got it back from the dealer on thursday with the new trans, night and day difference, mine was obviously a bad unit from day 1. went to the track friday night and had zero clutch sticking adn zero lockouts, just 3 perfect passes ( except for wheel spin) So i can see with my own experience that there are good and bad units. I had every common problem with my first one and no problems with this one yet.

Now its time to save for the magnum.

I will have a whole Magnum setup for sale in the next month or so on the classifieds :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread