possibly just blew my mt-82

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
had a mgw installed yesterday, car has 2000 miles on it. trying out the new shifter I hit 2nd then third nicely, went for 4th and missed.... come to find out it was stuck in 3rd. It will not budge out of third, had to drive home like that. I am hoping it is the linkage of the mgw? anyone ever had this issue?

clinton2003

Established Member
yes, i had mine stick in 4th.. bet the nylon shifter pad broke and wont budge...

I got lucky and the dealership warrantied mine... the new trans was perfect for 5k miles (i had 30k on the first one) after that it started catching 2nd if shifted above 5500rpm. Just going to try to find someone to rebuild it and install brass pads, and weld shift forks.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
In 2 weeks i will have an mt-82 with a fresh spec 2+ clutch in it, filled with amsoil synthetic. tranny has 15 k miles never gave me an issue, upgrading to a tremec magnum xl. Pm me if you want it!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Yup, mine did the same thing. I broke something in 4th gear and then a week later, the car got stuck in 3rd gear. I pulled it out that night and replaced it with the tremec. I had an MGW as well but I don't think that had anything to do with the breakage.

speedfreak94

Established Member
While I'm very comfortable with Tremecs, I admittedly know little about the specifics of the MT82. However, I would bet that the shifter is not the issue, and rather you are dealing with a rail or shift fork/pad issue internally. Good luck Streetone1, and please, keep us posted!

5.0jake

Established Member
24k hard but not abusive miles on mine and no issues.
Either OP has a defective one and or can't drive :shrug:

clinton2003

Established Member
Mine lasted 30k. Then shelled. 2nd one started having issues at 5k and has 11k on it now...

Its just a matter of time honestly.

clean92lx

Established Member
18k gear bangin miles on mine and ZERO issues. Hopefully it stays that way when the nitrous kit goes on in a couple weeks.

OP, put the stock shifter back on and take it in, with 2k miles you shouldn't have any problem getting it warranty'd

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
It's going in because I know someone. Thank God. They will warranty it even with cat delete, tune,shifter ect.
I love the guys who have a good mt82 and say it is cause people can't drive. Sure some people can't race a stick car well. I have had two low 10 second manual cars. Both Tremecs. This mt82 is flawed from the get go. Between the semi remote shifter, drive train flex issues and clutch issues. It's a terrible design. My clutch sticks to the floor every dyno pull.
My new set up will be up for sale once it's done in favor of the tremec magnum.

Posted via Topify using Android

D.T.R

Established Member
^ no way bro. The polls conducted here show that the MT82 is a great transmission and everyone is happy with it. This is all staged, all these people complaining about the MT82 were paid to do so by automatic guys... :lol1:

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
^ no way bro. The polls conducted here show that the MT82 is a great transmission and everyone is happy with it. This is all staged, all these people complaining about the MT82 were paid to do so by automatic guys... :lol1:

lmfao

It's going in because I know someone. Thank God. They will warranty it even with cat delete, tune,shifter ect.
I love the guys who have a good mt82 and say it is cause people can't drive. Sure some people can't race a stick car well. I have had two low 10 second manual cars. Both Tremecs. This mt82 is flawed from the get go. Between the semi remote shifter, drive train flex issues and clutch issues. It's a terrible design. My clutch sticks to the floor every dyno pull.
My new set up will be up for sale once it's done in favor of the tremec magnum.

Posted via Topify using Android

+1--the gears inside the trans are very beefy, it just has some obvious flaws that are made very apparent by the voices on every forum. I absolutely love my new T56 magnum. I had a TR6060 in my last car and it was awesome as well.

clinton2003

Established Member
I think the only people having issues are the people that drive their cars hard. People that drive normal wont see much issues with trans.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I think the only people having issues are the people that drive their cars hard. People that drive normal wont see much issues with trans.

i drove mine like a raped ape and it held up to everything... i think its a lack of understanding how to drive this trans correctly that doesnt help

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member

Who buys a mustang to drive it like a prius? If you wanted to drive 'normal', you should have gotten an SUV or minivan. The commercials show them doing burnouts, donuts, and drag racing to me, that is "normal" for a mustang. The MT82 should hold up to some kind of abuse, not break as quickly as they do.

Users who are viewing this thread