Possible to change t45's gears ratios?

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Are there other gear sets available for it?

I think most of us would love to have the T-5z's 2.95 1st and .63 5th!

Anyone ever do this?

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
yea that would be a great idea, i just did a tranny swap in my cobra today, and would not drop it again anytime soon...but i owuld like to change those gears out...maybe in my tranny i just pulled ill do it...

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
There does not seem to be any gear sets available for it. Just better/stronger internals (IE. ProMotion Powertrain @ ProMotion Powertrain )

For a 5 speed, You can get a Tremec TKO600 with a 2.87 1st gear and a .64 5th.

I saw that, but what trans is that? Is it T-5 based? What about the speedo gear? Crossmember mount? Bell housing? Length? Driveshaft spline?

They don't tell you any of that in the description.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I saw that, but what trans is that? Is it T-5 based? What about the speedo gear? Crossmember mount? Bell housing? Length? Driveshaft spline?

They don't tell you any of that in the description.

The TKO Tremecs arent T5 based. Totally different casing and internals.

Will require a different bellhousing, and a different clutch setup/ or change clutch disc (26 spline input shaft on TKO600).

Output shaft spline count is the same as 96 up cars (so you can re-use your drive shaft).

Speedo, has provisions for mechanical or electrical speedo pickup.

Its a good transmission, but depending on who you talk to, some guys are happy with them some guys not so (because these transmissions dont like to be shifted at high rpm 6000+ in stock form. However, Some shops/vendors have their own propietary solutions).

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
You wouldn't be happy with a higher first gear unless you have very steep rearend gears.

Yep, I know guys with 96-01 Cobras that broke their T45's and thought the 03-04 Cobra T56 would be a good upgrade and the 2.66 1st gears made their cars feel like a turd unless then went with a lot more gear.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
3.37 is fine with 3.27's, but it's short for 4.10's and up such on street tires. I'd like the 2.95 from the t5z. The t56 has the 2.66 1st and thats not enough, especially if you were running slicks.

Likewise 5th would be nicer if it came down a little to about .63 like what the t5z has.

I've looked and looked but no offers any options in t45 ratio's. It is what it is unless you switch transmissions.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread